Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Need a little advice. Fiance broke his leg

Hey I needed a little advice as to who should I contact about my fiance not being
able to receive proper medical attention. Last night I received a call from another inmate's
gf telling me that my guy had broke his leg and couldn't walk. She gave a number to a hospital near by his prison but unfortunately it was the wrong number. I then called and spoke with a shift manager who said "No nurses would be in til the a.m,I'm sorry ma'am I'll try to contact the lieutenant" I advised him to do something immediately otherwise I would take legal action into my own matters! His father called up there a little while after me and said he had spoke to lieutenant and would do something last night. Well my fiance called me this morning saying it took a hr for him to get out of the bed and HE WAS NOT TREATED AT ALL!!!!! He is in serious pain and his knee is swelled up like basketball and they gave him a wheelchair after injuring himself yesterday but that was it!! Idk what else to do I feel as if it's outta my hands but at the same time he needs me and I need to make it better!!! Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated I just don't understand how they can get away with neglecting his emergency!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,684 Posts

HE needs to put in the slip to see medical. He won't be seen until he does it-you can put a slip in every day. Unless someone is dying and even then, will he be taken care of immediately. There is no immediate in jail unless its a near death situation.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM

I'll make sure to tell him that. It just sucks that they can ignore his injury...smh
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,512 Times in 11,933 Posts

If he is already in an outside hospital, he will receive whatever medical care that they would give anybody, so nobody at the prison will be able to do much to help. A real hospital with no nurses until morning doesn't make any sense to me though, a prison quack shack "hospital" without medical coverage does.

If the problem is that he is still in the prison, sitting in a wheelchair, then it is the prison's responsibility to get his injury treated. Complaining to the prison could help if that is what is happening, but the bottom line is that they will decide what to do (if anything) and when to do it. Raising too much hell might even have the opposite result.

I hope he receives appropriate medical care soon.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 08-21-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts

Please tell him to put in a written request to see the doctor. He should write "can't walk" as the reason.

He can't be in an outside hospital if there are no nurses for certain hours. All hospitals are required to have nurses 24/7. It sounds like he might be in a prison infirmary or something like that.

If he calls you, ask him if he can get an ice pack. If he can get one, tell him to put it on until it is no longer cold, then no ice for 2 hours and repeat. And repeat, and repeat. It will decrease the swelling, the bleeding and the pain.

Without X Rays and / or MRI there is no diagnosis. Without a diagnosis, it is difficult to know how to direct you. Tell him to push hard in writing.

I know how you both feel. My former fiance had a broken leg that went untreated for 2 months. He was put in a wheelchair and ignored for 2 months! Hopefully you will not have to wait that long for a diagnosis and treatment.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 6,456 Times in 3,301 Posts

I agree the first thing he has to do is put a request to see the doctor. In VA, you must put in a grievance if the doctor does not see you or no one will talk to you about anything so make sure that is not necessary. Unfortunately, not being able to walk from an injury, in my experience with the VA prison system, is not an emergency. Well to them anyway. He has put in the request to see the doctor and grievance if need be, then you can call and talk to the warden or whoever. Generally, if he has not done that they will only tell you that he needs to follow proper procedures. I have always gotten results but we wait until he has put grievances in and when I talk to them I just simply state the issues he is having(which are life threatening) and the steps he has done to this point and had no response.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:43 AM

Thanks ladies! The health administrater has visited him after complaining and complaining...took X-ray and gave him Ibuprofen smh! But I did advise him to use ice to take down the swelling when he first told me about his injury..Only1love that's awful! How was your guy treated after 2 months of neglect? And ladies he's still in hid cell,haven't eve

even seen a hospital!

Last edited by MiniMoose; 08-25-2012 at 05:12 AM..