Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:40 AM

My husband was diagnosed with Hep c in 2011 from tattoos. He has been taking test and they have been coming back saying he has no symptoms. So TDC says he is not eligible for treatment. He doesnt get out until 2019. I cant believe there is nothing that can be done now Do you know if I buy the Vitamin D they allow him to have it? I just have so many questions but TDCJ is no help at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ira120472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2016, 06:07 PM

Default Governmental agencies and Harvoni

My husband had Hep C and was one of the first people treated with Harvoni (two weeks after it came out). After three months' of treatment, no detectible virus remained in his blood. Those results have held through two subsequent blood tests. He will continue to be monitored for the rest of his life, but at least, his liver isn't being damaged every day.

The Harvoni was very expensive - at that point, it was $1100 per pill - one pill per day - 90-day treatment - and we thank God his employer had changed insurances to one that was willing to give him Harvoni instead of just treating the Hep C with interferon. We paid a $30 copay. That was nothing short of a blessing and a miracle!

I know that as of 2015, prisoners were suing prison systems for access to Harvoni. I don't know how to get the links with this Apple computer (I'm a Windows girl), but you can Google the headlines and find the stories. I hope they will help:

Harvoni Lawsuit Filed by Inmates Seeks Class-Action Status

Treating Prisoners With Hepatitis C May Be Worth The Hefty Price

About half in NMs prisons have hep C

Prisons can lock up savings by treating inmates with hepatitis C
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tina Balser For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-09-2016), nimuay (07-12-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Donation Award 

My guy has had hepC for several years now. He's been through the interferon and is now considered a non-responder. His liver is now stage 3. CA won't give him harvoni so hopefully he'll parole with time to get treatment on the outside. I'm surprised more people don't die inside from the type of health "care" they receive!
The Following User Says Thank You to stupidcool For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 AM

My man has told me that he has Hep C and that they won't treat him for it while he is in. I am trying to do all I can now to have things lined up for when he comes home so he can get into the doctor, be tested, start treatment here. I know it has been a while since he has had tests done so I figure to just do the whole lot once he gets out so they know his current levels etc. I know that it is a cmostly treatment, bit I am willing to do anything and everything I can to give him a new start. I would appreciate anyone that could help me find more info to read up on about hep c. I too have been tested since getting released and I am negative at this point. But I really am interest in learning more so I can hopefulmy understand how it is effecting him right now.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,332 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidcool View Post
My guy has had hepC for several years now. He's been through the interferon and is now considered a non-responder. His liver is now stage 3. CA won't give him harvoni so hopefully he'll parole with time to get treatment on the outside. I'm surprised more people don't die inside from the type of health "care" they receive!
I believe far more people die from it than we know...it's just often listed as "natural causes" or "liver disease". My dad passed away from Hep C in 2008, not in prison however. I hope your guy is able to get treatment.

ASPC LEWIS - STINER