Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 12-03-2016, 01:29 AM
Donation Award 

My LO has a severe heart condition and had a couple of heart attack before being incarcerated. In the federal prison he's in now, they "lost" his previous medical reports, he lost consciousness so was send to hospital and returned to unit. It's been almost 3 weeks, no diagnose done yet, the "doctors" he saw are unable to agree on a condition, the one from the prison told him this week to have a "normal life" (!!) and reduced his meds by 50% without explanation. He is not getting a complete and accurate information on which meds to take or not. He was told his artery is 80% blocked, but not sure which one (!) and it was nothing major for now (!).
What are the options? Can he / I or his lawyer have access to his medical records from jail? Can we get another opinion? He's stressing out and feels either over medicated or/and left to die. I feel completely helpless and useless and very frustrated.
Can we even be sure these "doctors" are real ones? This is a life threatening medical conditions, no one seems to care. Can we/I make them change their mind? Can anything be done?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2016, 06:32 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,776 Times in 10,135 Posts

You may be able to get advice from fedcure.org. They are active in federal prison medical care issues.
http://www.fedcure.org/aboutus.shtml#.WELIReTrvoo

He needs to file a HIPAA disclosure authorization form with the prison medical staff, and one with the hospital that examined him directing them to disclose his medical records to you. Then the question becomes "will they honor, or ignore" his directions. The bop, maybe yes, maybe no; the hospital, probably yes.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-03-2016 at 11:15 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
arunabosphora (12-07-2016), Minor activist (02-21-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Default health care notification

my Brother is at Moore Haven correctional....I an signed up with VINE for any inmate alerts....before christmas, he managed to call me from a hospital to let me know they took him in for low blood sugar. I haver not heard from him since, I just received word from VINE that he was in the Reception area Jan.4. I call the facility & no one seems to be able to speak let alone give me any insight as to what has happened to him. I am aware of protocol ,HIPPA laws... but as his next of kin, emergency contact & his POA....do they not have to notify me of any health issues ?? So if he were to drop dead , when would they contact me ,if at all ? thank you for any help, suggestions . in the meantime, i'll just count to 10
Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Default High Blood Pressure

This is the second call I have gotten from my husband for his blood pressure being at 180-190. He went in on blood pressure medication. He is in a county jail and is awating sentencing. I am sure the anxiety is affecting him, but who knows. With a history of stroke in his family and the fact that he is now overweight, once a smoker it is concerning. He has told them and they gave him a pill that made him sleep for a couple of days. He has no idea what it was for. Suggestions? I've read some bad stuff on here about inmates being ignored medically.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Angry Lack of adequate medical

It is really appalling to me that there is a lack of even basic medical treatment in some of our prisons. My friend who is in a state jail has had a bad cough and has been very ill. I mean, really? He could have TB! He gets sick all the time too because they serve chicken that is still raw on the inside and the food trays are not washed.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsa View Post
This is the second call I have gotten from my husband for his blood pressure being at 180-190. He went in on blood pressure medication. He is in a county jail and is awating sentencing. I am sure the anxiety is affecting him, but who knows. With a history of stroke in his family and the fact that he is now overweight, once a smoker it is concerning. He has told them and they gave him a pill that made him sleep for a couple of days. He has no idea what it was for. Suggestions? I've read some bad stuff on here about inmates being ignored medically.
Yes, they do this all the time in county jails. A friend of mine had high blood pressure and TIA' s. Instead of filling his meds, they just gave him something to knock him out.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM

Default nevada

The hardest part is that they don't even want to address the issue. When he finally gets someone to take him to and spoken to by medical they tell him " I don't have time for this today. Come back later in the week" for someone with severe vertigo. Looking in an otoscope may have taken the same amount of time as deflecting him
Another
The Following User Says Thank You to AnotherMother For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-30-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM

Angry Dragging their feet over cancer diagnosis

I think they are just hoping if they wait long enough, they won't have to worry about treating him. I guess chemo and radiation is too big of a cost. He only has 5 1/2 months left out of 13 years. Either he will get out or die. I feel like they don't care which one as long as they don't have to spend the money.