Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:56 PM

The problem with having to list 3-6 positions is that in some cases the oldest position could be from a really long time ago. I only had two very long-term jobs and the first of the little temporary or unsuccessful gigs I had before that was 30 years ago. The solution is to list them anyway, as a potential employer too will think that they are not very important any more. However, I don't like the notion of losing a job for omitting one or for having forgotten the exact dates.

We will never get rid of criminality, but we could redefine some and make some obsolete. For instance, we could legalize things like drugs and the obscene material that is currently illegal (except for those who are producing new material by using real humans or animals), lower the legal drinking age (or eliminate in reality the penalties for drinking under that age) and stop putting in prison people who are having a consensual relationship with an older minor (16-17).

Other crimes can be eliminated by making them impossible or unprofitable or otherwise less likely. It has been argued that home burglaries have been reduced because selling stolen electronics is less profitable. There are devices for tracking stolen cars. What cars are there to steal anyway when paid transportation services are more practical than car ownership? Should pawn shops even exist? If they exist, an overabundance of goods would make theft less profitable after a while. A housing and rental market that allows more people to afford larger homes or even a secondary home would reduce domestic violence (not that it is acceptable when there is overcrowding, but perhaps it would happen less). It's by working on factors that promote crime or make it easier or even possible that crime can be reduced.
The Following User Says Thank You to prisonlady For This Useful Post:
Quetz (05-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM

It's probably a mixture of lack of trust and character flaws. Employers are taking greater risks hiring convicted felons because they have been proven to commit crimes. People grow and change but it's just a bigger risk that some employers rather not take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edascal View Post
Hi. I was wondering specific reasons for why employers don't hire felons. Insurance? Financial liability? Too expensive in other ways?

In other words, what can someone else, whomever "someone else" is, do to convince employers to hire an otherwise qualified felon whom the employer otherwise wouldn't consider?

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 PM

I see the risk issue. I guess my main question is, what can we do to convince an employer to hire a felon? Can someone else accept liability for insurance purposes? Can someone else be a per se "employer"? Short of legislation, what other immediate steps can we take?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,537 Times in 780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edascal View Post
I see the risk issue. I guess my main question is, what can we do to convince an employer to hire a felon? Can someone else accept liability for insurance purposes? Can someone else be a per se "employer"? Short of legislation, what other immediate steps can we take?
Going through temp agencies is a great place to start and many employers like to hire through them because in a sense they get to "try out" the employees before hiring them. While they are working through the agency the agency provides the insurance and liability as well as payroll. That takes the risk off the employer...they can see what a great employee they have and when it comes to finding out they are a felon they will be more inclined to keep them vs not knowing their work ethic at all sitting in an interview.