Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Cooper Street CF, G. Robert Cotton CF, Gus Harrison CF, Huron Valley Center, Huron Valley CF, Macomb CF, Mound CF, Parnall CF, Parr Highway CF, Robert Scott CF, Ryan CF, Southern Michigan CF, Thumb CF

Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanked 1,455 Times in 798 Posts
Default Huron Valley C/O overtime

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...son/944419002/

Quote:
Union officials say*the constant forced overtime has become a serious safety issue, both inside the prison —where officers must tend to fights and other emergencies — and on the surrounding freeways as exhausted women officers try to drive home.*
That's got to be a safety issue for the inmates too!
Old 08-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Though the Corrections Department faces officer shortages around the state, the situation is aggravated at the women's prison because only female officers can work in the housing units because of concerns about sexual abuse.
Why? Male officers work at female prisons all over the place. Getting rid of this would alleviate most of the officer shortage.

Quote:
The prison is allocated the equivalent of 364 full-time officer positions. But of those, 52 are vacant, 29 are on leaves of absence, three are on military leave, and 139 are on Family and Medical Leave Act intermittent leave, Gautz said.

The federal Family and Medical Leave Act allows eligible employees — such as pregnant women with morning sickness or those with chronic conditions such as diabetes or epilepsy — up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave a year, with no threat of job loss.
Yep...gonna have considerably more employees out of work with women only. Employees out for pregnancy/birth or caring for children or a sick relative has to be a ton higher in females than male.

Although, long hours and shortages are common across the country. I know of several officers who've been in fatal accidents locally. As the article states, corrections isn't for everyone. Nationwide there's a CONSTANT search for CO's. Their ad never leaves our paper and posters are everywhere. Turn over rate is extremely high and pay is awful...even with a criminal justice degree.
Ms Sunny (08-28-2018), Nickel Timer (08-16-2018), safran (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Why? Male officers work at female prisons all over the place. Getting rid of this would alleviate most of the officer shortage.
If they're trying to protect themselves and the inmates from turning into another Otter Creek, or another Tutwiler, or another Lowell, or another Lackawanna County, that answers "Why?".

Quote:
This report was followed by a report by Amnesty International,*"Not Part of My Sentence": Violations of the Human Rights of Women in Custody, in 1999 that focused on a number of issues affecting women in custody, including sexual abuse. The Amnesty report reached essentially the same conclusions as the Human Rights Watch report and called for: (1) same-sex supervision of female inmates; (2) more explicit policies and laws prohibiting sexual abuse of inmates; (3) stronger mechanisms for investigating and prosecuting sexual abuse of prisoners; (4) appropriate supportive services and redress for sexual abuse; and (5) greater protection from retaliation for inmates who reported sexual misconduct.
https://www.americanbar.org/publicat...6_1_smith.html
Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

But if they don't have enough female COs to fill the spaces....In my opinion they have drastically limited their workforce. If I were one of those overworked female COs I would be looking for employment elsewhere, possibly another prison where they actually have staff.

In AZ when there's officer shortage they just lock the yards down. So I guess that would be a better alternative? If the prison is ACTIVELY seeking to hire COs and the numbers just aren't there...what are they suppose to do?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 AM

>If I were one of those overworked female COs I would be looking for employment elsewhere, possibly another prison where they actually have staff.

If I understood the article, a lot of them have been doing just that, which means there's a vicious circle.

> what are they suppose to do?
Tough problem. A real world business could raise pay and benefits to attract more people.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Where do you expect that pay and benefits to come from? The taxpayers? I don't know you but I have to assume you don't work for a state facility that is bound by a board of directors and budgets that have to be publicized, a public hearing held, ran in newspapers, approved and then sent to the county or state...This fiscal year is over (just barely) so you're looking 10 months for a raise in pay and you and I both know how unlikely that is. So these women (COs and inmates) will just have to continue to suffer if they don't do something. Logically they would take the money that they are spending in overtime and give raises and maybe an incentive to new employees....However, the bureaucratic hurdles that have to be jumped in order to make that happen make it unlikely.

Unfortunately prisons are the last thing on most people's minds. Unless you have a LO incarcerated or a LO working for the prison you likely never think about it. My co-worker's husband is a CO in AZ and hasn't gotten a single raise in 14 years except for promotions to other positions.
Ms Sunny (08-28-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:39 PM

Yes, that was my point -- that the prison administration doesn't have the freedom that a private business does to raise pay and benefits, which makes filling vacancies a tough problem.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

So you would advocate FOR private prison?
Old 08-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Oh yeah, and I don't know about Michigan, but in Arizona DOC pays far better than the private prisons do. With better benefits and state retirement. Many people are working in private prisons because they can't work in DOC, can't pass the background check or the fitness test. Just food for thought.
Nickel Timer (08-16-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,790 Posts

They won't privatized prisons here. Nothing is going to change
Old 08-14-2018, 04:18 PM

Nobody wants private prisons.

CO's don't want it, Inmate don't want it. The only people that want private prisons are those that run private prisons.

The problem with the prison system and someone said it. The only people that care about the prison system are the CO's and their family's and the Inmates and their family's. Corrections are the forgotten arm of law enforcement. Less pay than cops, less of a budget for officers (to hire, standards, equipment etc). Less money for programs for the inmates. Who gets their budget slashed first? It's not the police dept, its the prisons and jails. Because of that both COs and inmates suffer with the consequences.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-14-2018), Nickel Timer (08-16-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanked 1,599 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Yes, that was my point -- that the prison administration doesn't have the freedom that a private business does to raise pay and benefits, which makes filling vacancies a tough problem.
It's not as easy as sitting on the sidelines saying 'someone else could do better' to everything that comes along, then doing absolutely nothing about it yourself.

I got news for you. There are a LOT of private businesses where the pay sucks and the benefits are minimal, and they don't involve having fermented shit thrown on you.

Private businesses don't get to raise salaries and increase benefits on a whim, either. It has nothing to do with the 'freedom' to do so. It's simple economics and trying to keep the business alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 PM

So, since this is a support forum ...

What can inmates and their loved ones do to minimize the risks in a facility where the C/Os are dangerously overloaded? Anything? If someone I cared about were in Huron Valley I'd want to know what to do.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Thanked 1,599 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
So, since this is a support forum ...

What can inmates and their loved ones do to minimize the risks in a facility where the C/Os are dangerously overloaded? Anything? If someone I cared about were in Huron Valley I'd want to know what to do.
You could get a job there as a CO.

Will you apply to be a CO to help, or is that just something someone else could do?

Last edited by Straight; 08-14-2018 at 07:56 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Like inmates in every other overcrowded understaffed prison in the country do...Keep their head down, stay busy and don't get involved in politics. Stock up on books to read and puzzles to do during lockdowns. This isn't a unique situation. The only thing unique about it is an all female CO staff which I've obviously shared my stance on. There's nothing to be done about it if they can't hire men and the women for the workforce aren't there. They can't force women to take jobs there.
Nickel Timer (08-16-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
It's not as easy as sitting on the sidelines saying 'someone else could do better' to everything that comes along, then doing absolutely nothing about it yourself.

I got news for you. There are a LOT of private businesses where the pay sucks and the benefits are minimal, and they don't involve having fermented shit thrown on you.

Private businesses don't get to raise salaries and increase benefits on a whim, either. It has nothing to do with the 'freedom' to do so. It's simple economics and trying to keep the business alive.
Just to have the record straight, that "doing absolutely nothing" accusation is a total falsehood.