Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:44 PM

Default Little or no privacy..? Masturbating in prison

*admin delete if not ok* So I was just wondering I was reading an article that in the US it’s illegal for inmates to masturbate. This seems insane to me and how could that be enforced? And that inmates that are caught can be punished? Also in some scenarios like in a prison with an open dorm setting with open showers (no curtain or cubicle) how is it possible to actually possible to have enough privacy to do it. Like I wonder is there an etiquette around it? I don’t think people would beat each other up over it? I got mad a while back and asked my guy to return some (sexy) photos I sent him to me and they all looked very slightly bent/with a thumb indentation on the same side/place on all the photos so it looks like he had some good use out of them lol. So I don’t know this is something that baffles me about our prison system how something like masturbation not involving any other inmate or guard or whatever could be punished. I wonder how inmates get away with it. I have not asked him I would do that outside of prison. So I’m just curious

Last edited by momof234; 01-19-2019 at 12:07 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 AM

I’ve had a few friends do time. General consensus if they have cell mates, wait until they’re snoring. Where my man is their showers are cubicles with doors, so the fapping is done in there lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
momof234 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:06 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,684 Times in 7,376 Posts

As for enforcement-- writeups usually occur when it's done in full view of an officer/another inmate or used as a means of attention-seeking or to threaten/intimidate. There have been times that female officers on my husband's yard were known for being unreasonable about nudity, meaning if they were in their cell taking a bird bath at their sink and she walked by, they could be written up over it. He's learned to shower and bird bath in his boxers because of those handful of people. But for the most part where he's at, there's an allowance for covering a window briefly while you bathe or hanging your towel over the door to the shower so it mostly covers what is visible.

As for other means of privacy, I suppose it's like anything else in life that requires a learning curve or go without.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-19-2019), maytayah (01-19-2019), momof234 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
As for enforcement-- writeups usually occur when it's done in full view of an officer/another inmate or used as a means of attention-seeking or to threaten/intimidate. There have been times that female officers on my husband's yard were known for being unreasonable about nudity, meaning if they were in their cell taking a bird bath at their sink and she walked by, they could be written up over it. He's learned to shower and bird bath in his boxers because of those handful of people. But for the most part where he's at, there's an allowance for covering a window briefly while you bathe or hanging your towel over the door to the shower so it mostly covers what is visible.

As for other means of privacy, I suppose it's like anything else in life that requires a learning curve or go without.
Oh ok that’s good information as far as the write ups etc I guess depends who the guard is. The other stuff like if it’s deliberately in front of anyone especially like a female guard that makes sense that should be punished. Sort of like sexual harassment but more than that. But with an open dorm and open showers I guess as you said learning curve. It just seems dehumanizing in a way but I guess that’s what prison does
The Following User Says Thank You to momof234 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof234 View Post
Oh ok that’s good information as far as the write ups etc I guess depends who the guard is. The other stuff like if it’s deliberately in front of anyone especially like a female guard that makes sense that should be punished. Sort of like sexual harassment but more than that. But with an open dorm and open showers I guess as you said learning curve. It just seems dehumanizing in a way but I guess that’s what prison does

Shaun Attwood did this video about prison fapping on YouTube. He did time in Arizona state. He addresses the dorm/open shower situation in the video

https://youtu.be/7g2kwU0_9fs
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
momof234 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,316 Times in 4,298 Posts

We were having a discussion about privacy in prison for a different reason. I had laughinly complained to my husband about how much I hate public restrooms in the USA and the huge gaps around the doors. That doesnt happen in the UK no gaps ,very private.
I was telling him that when I used a public restroom at Denver airport , I was having a wee and I accidently managed to make eye contact with a lady washing her hands at the sink .... awkward.

Anyway he said babe you would not manage 5 minutes in here, we have open showers no cubicles, we have no doors on the cells just bars and our toilet faces the landing everyone walking past can see. So he and his cellie have put a improvished curtain around the toilet as have others and its been tolerated. My husband has been in prison since he was a child he has grown up in prison and is used to no privacy. He is very adaptable and makes the best of things. I guess you have to learn that he has a quiet acceptance that I sometimes find it hard to understand. He will tell me it is what it is when I am urging him to do something about something.

As for masturbation well its going to happen people have urges. It can be used to try and humiliate or intimidate CO's and other inmates and that cannot be allowed. However, my husband and his cellie give each other privacy as much as they can.When we had tablets my husband would stay back from chow or yard time to get alone time with me on the phone and we would have our intimacy.

Now our intimacy is on the pod phones , so we have had to adapt to that. Again he can go back to his cell afterwards and his cellie gives him alone time.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.

Last edited by maytayah; 01-31-2019 at 12:59 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-19-2019), Sarianna (01-19-2019), xxxstarah (01-23-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Полезный дурак

For my husband, he is in a single cell [ no cell mate ] and there are solid metal doors. I figure he can strum his banjo as he likes when in there. Well, except for the guards that go by / check - in .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
BearsLadyBear (01-23-2019), KiwiPP (01-19-2019), maytayah (01-19-2019), Sarianna (01-19-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 AM

My husband said that when him and our best friend were cellies, they would say they needed a minute. The other guy would put headphones in and read or close his eyes. He said you get past the embarrassment quickly. Embarrassment of being naked, going to the bathroom, showering, masturbating, everything. He said when he was in seg, though, he did it all the time. Lol! We had some fun phone calls during that time! Woo!
I'll love you till the day I die
I swear to God it's true
I'm comin' home to you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxxstarah For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-23-2019), momof234 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 PM

Thanked 1,492 Times in 753 Posts

My husband has heard that the term used at his prison is "jack shack". Guys build this around them in their beds and they do it there (yuck) and then it just has to be taken down before the COs come around before count. Fortunately, he wound up in a room that none of the 3 of them use this method to take care of business, so they must all do it in private.

The problem with this rule of no masturbation is that it is ridiculous, because masturbation is healthy and normal and if there was no fear of repercussion, most likely at the higher level facilities, then maybe there would be less other issues. Maybe not.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
momof234 (01-23-2019)