Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Going Public with Story..Good or Bad Idea?

I am preparing to surrender on Feb 4th for a six month white collar crime. I am a 61 year old female with no prior convictions.
This has been a long, life-altering experience, as I am sure many of you can relate to.
I would like to go public with my story, via a website with my full name as domain....for the following reasons:
  • I need to be open, honest, transparent and responsible for my actions.
  • I need to tell the true story to my family, friends and local community.
  • I want to help others who find themselves in the same situation.
  • I have spent hundreds of hours researching, and have valuable information to share.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel this is a good decision, or one that would harm me?
I would love to hear what you all have to say...I am preparing to launch the site a few days prior to surrender. Which is coming fast.
Thanks for your thoughts!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,294 Times in 12,320 Posts

It will definitely cause you problems with the prison staff, especially if it is a US federal conviction. One PTO member who had his family blog for him was put in the hole after receiving very serious conduct violations. Prison is similar to life in a dictatorship.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,717 Posts

I'm with fbonomore on this... if you want to publish your story at some point do it AFTER... you'll be home eventually. Maybe use your time in prison and write your story. Don't do while in or even before. But keep it to yourself. Do is as a journal maybe?
Wishing you lots of strength for your time in prison!
fbopnomore (01-12-2019), Mama33 (01-12-2019), Ne Plach’ (01-12-2019), Sarianna (01-12-2019), sidewalker (01-12-2019), Whodathunk (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Полезный дурак

In my experience, speaking with some good lawyers, it is not a really good idea.

If the site is ready to go live, it means work is done, you have kind of made up your mind and what we say might not change that.

Your sentence is short. If you want to rebuild your reputation to the community / family / professionally, I would wait until you are free from regulations to do so.

Then, you can devote more time to a full - fledged recuperation of reputation / honesty / truth.

And further, as time goes on, attention drifts away from a conviction, and so, you could have a more receptive audience post - sentence completion.

While you deal with authorities, it is always best to not provide them with possible ammunition to cause you further distress. Fbop covered this.

If there is negative reception or disagreement to points on your site, how could you defend yourself while in prison ?

My husband was known in some circles and I got approached to do [ small ] media. I consulted both teams of his lawyers.

Each side told me to be wary of making things public, even opinions, that can come back to bite. Any thing can be misconstrued.

While we think we are smart, well - researched and know a case, we are not trained „ legal eagles ”, and this can be to our detriment.

Best wishes & good luck.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-12-2019), Mama33 (01-12-2019), maytayah (01-12-2019), nimuay (01-12-2019), Sarianna (01-12-2019), Whodathunk (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 AM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 652 Posts

I understand your reasoning but agree that waiting until you're totally away from any supervision is smart. Have you thought of reaching out to an advocacy group to share your experiences & maybe work through them eventually? They are always looking for real life stories to share & can help you be anonymous. But I would consult your attorney first because they see the whole picture & things you might miss.

My son was given some good advice when he wanted to get his supervision restrictions modified. We figured the court would either say yes, no or compromise in between. Never did we think it would tie him up more restricted since he has been almost a year doing well. Someone told him that when you open a door, the rats can come in. That can apply in your situation too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-12-2019), Mama33 (01-12-2019), Sarianna (01-12-2019), Whodathunk (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanked 1,487 Times in 749 Posts

Great idea, but wait until you've completed your sentence. Not so much for the recourse as people have stated but because you will be able to really look back and may have a different perspective and once you put it out on the internet you cannot take it back. You will want to be able to look back on the entire experience.

My 60 year old husband is about to get out of Federal prison after just under 14 months (his sentence was 18 mos) for a white collar crime. He has been writing like crazy and has learned so much in prison, has become extremely interested in restorative justice and giving back. Was always volunteering and charitable before, and continues to believe in that. I am so proud of what he has accomplished and what he wants to accomplish.

He has tons of legal pads of writing and he is going to work to publish it. I am happy to answer some of your questions. He has not suffered any recourse in the prison for his writings and they know about it there.

Also, in prison you don't want to talk about your crime so blatantly. People will look you up, but most don't just talk about it to your face. So better to let them look it up on their own rather than you stick it out there like that. 6 months will suck, but it'll also go by quickly. One thing, just don't complain about your sentence. Many women will be in there for longer and will have no sympathy for your sure sentence. They also may not want to be overly friendly ( want to connect) with you because you're leaving so soon, so don't take that personally.

Feel free to PM me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Mama33 (01-12-2019), Whodathunk (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Thank you all so much, truly. My instincts were telling me that I maybe should reconsider, and it might not be the right thing to do...which is why I reached out. All of your feedback has been so helpful, and I will follow your advice. phew! I'm glad I asked! This experience has been hard enough, I can't imagine adding fuel to the fire. Thanks, thanks!! I'll write like crazy in prison, and share with the world when the time is right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whodathunk For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-12-2019), Mama33 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM

I’m so glad you’re reconsidering. There are so many small things (like a photo of myself or my opinion) I’ve put out there that came back to bite me in strange ways that I could never have imagined, and I’ve learned my lesson. There are some scary people out there that just want to be trolls, even if you aren’t involved in the prison system. I think some people are so screwed up they just want to lash out at other people. Please think about using a pen name if you do publish or blog something. Good luck, dear. My prayers are with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama33 For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (01-13-2019), Whodathunk (01-13-2019)