Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: How much $ do u invest in your man monthly?
less than $10 a month 71 12.01%
$20 - $50 122 20.64%
$60 - $200 263 44.50%
more than $200 monthly 135 22.84%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,619 Posts

I've never sent money. His family does that. I pay for the food at our visits and I pay his storage each month which gets reimbursed more often than not by his family. I order his packages which get reimbursed sometimes. He's been in 2 yrs and a few months and has had 340 put on his account for inside. He's gotten like 5 packages of which I paid like 240. I pay for the phone but its 1.45 per 15 mins call and he calls like once a week or once every 2 weeks, and often its not an entire 15 mins. I visit each week so gas I deal with. It would be nice to give him more money but once he left county they started taking 55% of what is out in his account so its better to buy packages. If he needs something between packages he trades for it.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelinglost View Post
i don't send him anything. He pays for the calls and all his canteen. I do keep money on my side of the phone in case he runs low. We talk for about an hour a day which is about $10. I pay for my jpay and pre-pay a stamp for him because that's the only thing i can get by with. He sends me a couple hundred a month. We both agree that we are odd since he is always paying.
same here...im blessed enough to not have to send my baby any money, he takes great care of funding his needs and if i need money
he makes sure i get it. When i went to visit him today i said to him i wanna do a little more... So i guess imma just do it as a surprise once in a blue. I just take care of things like picking up and doing his laundry being that i see him once a week on a visit and picking up magazines n stuff like that. But i love him to death so if it came down to it i would hold him down best i could as long as i can take care of my other responsibilities like my childs well being.

Sincere Holds The Key To My Heart.... Can't Wait To Have My Baby Home Again

Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM

When my fiance was at county jail (he's waiting to be placed in a prison now) I gave him $50 a week plus a $2 fee at jail, he had to buy his own paper and stamped evevelopes with that, I had to buy stamps for my mail which was about 2 letters a week from me. We didn't use prepaid phone cards or phone accounts while he was there so I would talk to him maybe twice a month at $9.99 a time added to my cell phone bill, but we will get a plan when he gets to prison. I am the only person he has sending him money.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM

We try to do the give and take thing. Even though he is incarcerated he still has an income from property royalties. He gets about 500 a month because he has medical needs and excetera. He has given me carte Blanche as far as using his funds to not only relocate to his home but to cover any expenses I have in doing so. Mostly he pays for the phone..at one phone it was 2 -3 hundred monthly. We work together with his funds. But I don't deny him anything and he sacrifices for me as well when need be. We are a team and talk regularly about where the money goes based on what I need and what he needs
Old 04-15-2013, 12:22 PM

That darn commisary is highway robbery so i send my love 120 every 2weeks
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM

I usually send $30-$50.00 weekly, unless he needs something like shoes, boots, hot pot, radio, then i send more to pay for that item. I pay for our phone calls, which is about $50.00 a week. So monthly, I spend over $300-$350.00. Wow. Maybe I need to slow it down some.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas EZ Mom For This Useful Post:
MonalovesMiguel (04-16-2013), sksimone (09-15-2013), Summerlove92 (10-17-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM
his fool

Since February he's gotten about $700 on his books. That doesn't count the money for the phone while he was in county, the book of stamps he gets every two weeks or the shoes and whatnot that I've ordered. he's about to have to settle for $50 a week though :/
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Account Closed

I used to send anywhere from $30-50 a week but he asked me to stop sending money. It makes him feel bad because I have my son to support. A group of the guys we grew up with pitch in to cover his package and I just let them know if there is anything specific he has mentioned to me they should throw in like a certain comic book. He's a big kid and loves them.

It worked out well that he asked me to stop sending the $ because a month later I was laid off and am still unemployed. I do plan on sending a little bit when I can once I'm working again because it makes me feel good to do it, especially because he doesn't ask
Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccers1983 View Post
Since February he's gotten about $700 on his books. That doesn't count the money for the phone while he was in county, the book of stamps he gets every two weeks or the shoes and whatnot that I've ordered. he's about to have to settle for $50 a week though :/
that's one hell of a lot,no way in hell would i send that much even if i could. i send $25. that's when i can. not every week.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 PM
his fool

Yea i know, i hadn't even realized it had racked up like that until i saw this thread and started thinking about it...i gave him three decent chunks though to help him settle in. One when he first went to county, one when he transferred to reception and one when he moved to his permanent camp....now that i see what the "normal" is i may just reevaluate things though.i was feeling bad about only sending $50 at a time because he blows through it in three days usually but it sounds like he might be a bit on the rotten side :/
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM

I've only put money on his books twice. $50 each time. I surprised him with that, he didn't ask. I've sent a couple of books twice. I'm looking into the sbpackages and trying to figure out how that works. I pay for our calls. I spend roughly $300 a month on the phone. That's with a local phone number. He's in county so calls are more expensive. It's about $7 for a 15 minute call. I write him everyday, send cards, printouts, lyrics, and pictures. Tons of pictures lol. I honestly wish I could put more on his books but he understands and appreciates everything that I do now. If I have extra money, then I will order books or put money on his books. But phone is my priority at this moment.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 PM

Wow some of you ladies are spending a LOT! I am sure that we all do what we can, but my income and budget is puny lol.

I know that for the most part, his monetary needs are taken care of in there. He has no rent to pay, no electric bill, no phone bill, etc, and he receives food. I have a son to raise out here, and I am low income. I have rent, phone bill, electricity, food, school fees, clothing, etc. I can't afford cable, and he has cable. So no, I don't send a lot of money. I pay for phone calls, and I order him books.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 PM

I went in on 1/9 and my parents added $1000 to my phone, and $200 on the books the first week, and $100 a week after that for Canteen. If I knew the jail would keep the balance I would have spent the last two hundred.

My girl who is in, I send $75 a week and put $150 on the phone the email a month.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM

I dont send my man money he usually takes care of himself. I do buy him stamp paper n envelopes.. abt every mth or so. Iv only sent him one special package . And even that was from money he had sent me for myself. I pay for our phone calls which has been good . $20 has lasted this whole mth on phone calls
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Newbie In Love!!

Red face Alittle bit of both.

I dont send my man anything, hes never asked and hes never expected anything from me but me being me. I agree, he has his own money and would actually expect me to ask him if I needed somthing!...

.On another note, my daughters father is also in jail....he was my ex befor he went to jail, was actually with another girl, but long story short, he expects me to send him money...not considering im a single mother raising two kids, all on my own, with bills to pay, clothes to buy, mouths to feed and so on...and the few times i have had a little extra to send, its always a problem...not enuff...too much...too late...he dont appreciate it one way or another. And he complains to me when he has to use the money he has from his "job" to call and talk to his daughter. smh.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 PM

Default 80 montly

I just send my husband 80 about 40 every other week plus I put money on the telephones so he may call everyday. No he does not expect me to send him money he would rather have money on the phones so we can talk than have stuff and goodies but I give them both to him.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM

None of you have asked -- but I would say, if your loved one is in the Fed's, sending money can be a touchy issue if they owe restitution. If the inmate owes restitution and gets too much in, the feds will snag some of it based on how much is sent in over a 3 month period.
Aside from those who owe restitution - in these tough times - compared to county jails, the food is not bad at all. However, it's really not all that "healthy", either. Lots of starch. To the point, in the Feds, particularly if your loved one is in for a stretch, inmate jobs will more than pay for basic needs -toiletry, hygiene, etc.
As for the goodies - chips, sodas, tuna, batteries for the walkman, shoes -- I assure you, on the inside, everyone is greatful for what they get.

As for State prison, the ones I was at (Kilby, Easterling in Alabama) - the food was great. No need for commissary there, although when it gets hot, an ice cream was a really nice treat.

County Jails? Man oh man. Take out a mortgage. Send all you can. County jails are the worst! But, before you send the first dime, make sure that the jail doesn't do that heinous booking charge and daily charge for their stay there. Each county jail in Florida seemed to do that - Leon County, Escambia County, Duvall county - each one charged their own heinous fees. In Leon County, though - if you're a trustee, they waived the daily fee.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpappy For This Useful Post:
lyn Blacc (06-21-2015)
Old 05-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonalovesMiguel View Post
Just out of interest, how much money do u ladies put on your love's books monthly? Does he "expect" you to send him money on regular basis and does he appreciate every penny? Feel free to share

I send him over 200 monthly. its usually 200 or more each check. and yes he expects it or acts as though he does. but hes always very thankful when he receives it and I think if I were to skip it or send less he would be disappointed but understanding. everything I sent him that money order and he receives it I get a very big thank you and tells me how much he loves me and he wishes he could support me like hes always done and promises hell make it up to me when hes home. he has told me for every dollar sent hell give me a minute massage when hes home
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM

Unhappy New but glad this forum exist

Ive been with my guy for almost two years. At first I was skeptical because I heard of things falling apart. I was wondering if I would be silly for sending money? He's only got support from his sister. I really want to be able to hold him down but, I sadly totaled my car last year and the financial recovery has been slow :-( .
What do u guys think?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 AM

I send my fiancée $300-$400 a month on his books, he's Muslim and needs certain things and food wise he only eats halal items, clothing and personal products. $300 is always on the phone and I send magazines, books, pictures and puzzles. He never asks or expects anything from me , he Always says thanks and shows his appreciation in calls ,letters and visits. I love him to death! I do it from the heart always and when he was out I never wanted for anything! He took care of his baby and I'm gonna take care of mines.! Love Slim4eva
Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Default loving my hubby

i put 60 to 200 dollars or more. i pay for the phone calls that be 100 or 200 .then i go online and shop for commissary the limit is 50 for that . then i put some more on his books when he need it. but he tells me he is good and make sure i take care of me and our son, and i order magazines and books, etc he is spoil. he loves to call and i love it too those phone calls do get expensive. he would call 2 or 3 times a day. but i love him he his my everything. im down for him like four flat tires. because he down for our family he took care of home,and when i was locked up he was there for me more than my family. he is a loyal faithful man. and then i go visit him every month and i get 20 or 30 dollars of quarters then sometimes take pictures .i love me some him.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Zero..
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 PM
His dimples

Nothing, I have the most amazingly stubborn man he won't accept anything. The only thing I pay for is our calls and he tries to pay for those too.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Peace. Hope. Courage.

My dad is a very self-sufficient kind of person-- and luckily, he had money in his bank account before he was incarcerated.. So while I spend my own money on my phone bill, stamps, vending machine food, gas for the visits, stationary/cards, etc... I use some of his money to put into his commensary account which helps me.

I spend about $150 a month right now.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella69 View Post
Nothing, I have the most amazingly stubborn man he won't accept anything. The only thing I pay for is our calls and he tries to pay for those too.
This sounds like mine as well, I've offered to send him money but he refuses it. He doesn't even like me paying for the phone calls which are expensive...