Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,352 Times in 379 Posts
Default What's your biggest fear and biggest phobia?

Maybe there has been a thread like this before, sorry in advance if so

My biggest fear is the world as we know it ending - I've been obsessed with end of the world movies for months now and I think I've watched them all I have no idea why this started because I never worried about it before.... it just did. My husband asked me the other day if I wanted him to build an underground bunker - he thinks this is SO funny

My biggest phobia is going to the dentist. My dentist is my bff's boyfriend and they are so good to me - we have discovered that wearing sunglasses helps, it's like a little blanket between me and the drill somehow, so they keep a pair on the shelf where I can pick them up every time I come in

So what is your biggest fear and do you have a phobia?

Last edited by Rox73; 11-20-2010 at 09:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Rox73 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Cool

My biggest phobia is needles.This is why i had 3 children drug free labor(no way an epidural needle thing was going in my back!!),never had a tatto,anything with needles i avoid.God knows this and i think that's why he allowed me to have strong teeth.I have only one cavity gotten at age 29.I was so terrified to get a needle in my gum.

My biggest fear,FROGS!! I grew up in the country,my father pastored a country church where there were an abundance of toads,it seemed like. and my friends as a kid,my friends after sun evening church seemed to take great pleasure in chasing me with a toad in hand.ever since those experiences i'm very very afraid of frogs and toads.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Still I Rise ~M. Angelou

Thanked 1,670 Times in 763 Posts

My biggest fear is disappointing God. I know I fall way short, and in the end I just want Him to be proud of me. My biggest phobia? HEIGHTS! I cannot tolerate heights, esp if it's in the wide open air and not closed, such as on a plane. Gread thread!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vera31 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 01:54 AM
grá mo chroí

Thanked 8,259 Times in 3,527 Posts

My biggest fear, is, and has always been, dying alone. My Mother passed away when she was 60 (just 12 years older than I am now) and tho she had her children with her at that time, in my mind, it is not the same. I want Ray to be by my side, holding my hand when I go. Weird, I know, but it is what it is.

I don't really have a phobia. I fear eventually getting alzheimer's. I am not sure I would know how to deal with losing my mind. Tho if I lost my mind, would I know it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Temeron0926 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (11-30-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 AM

my phobia ...rats. not helped by a garfield look alike cat that catches them and brings them home and leaves them on my bedroom floor! yup im the one that just screams till someone comes and moves it.
fear...i dont really know about that one,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orchibu For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (11-21-2010), esteli (12-31-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 AM
*Quiet Storm*

My phobia -elevators with more than 3 people. I always imagine it stopping and having to fight for air. (don't laugh). I will wait forever for a free elevator or just take the stairs.
My fear - Heavy rain. I am always nervous of flooding when it rains.
The Following User Says Thank You to nolagyrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,307 Times in 785 Posts

My biggest fear is fire. When I was about 10 the horse barn at my parents burned down. It was summer, windows open and my bedroom was at the back of the house. I was napping and the smoke came pouring in my window as I slept. My Dad rushed upstairs, picked me up and carried me out......I had smoke inhalation. To this day if I smell the faintest wiff of smoke I panic.

Oh and the dark is a close second, I have night lights all over my house.

The only phobia I have is counter tops.....I am forever spraying and wiping.

“The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to nypurple For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 PM

What I fear like hell is height.....I´d walk a million miles around a bridge where you can look down through the boards......or towers, ladders..........It is just sooooo scary for me.

It is not that life gets more easy, but much more that we get more strong.
The Following User Says Thank You to paradise soul For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 12:20 AM

I fear for my loved one who is locked up in one of CA's hellholes.
Got over all my "phobias" the day he went in...

Last edited by 12 years gone; 11-22-2010 at 12:23 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 12 years gone For This Useful Post:
meximami707 (12-04-2010), MrsCetina (11-30-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 AM

My biggest fears are heights and the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to Srjm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise soul View Post
What I fear like hell is height.....I´d walk a million miles around a bridge where you can look down through the boards......or towers, ladders..........It is just sooooo scary for me.
I get especially dizzy and nauseus when I'm going up a ski lift. eek.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Srjm For This Useful Post:
paradise soul (11-23-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM

OK, Phobias:
1.Closed spaces, I'm fine if I know how to get out should I need to, but things like airplanes, elevators, large crowds that could keep me from reaching an exit or not knowing where the exit is really gets to me. The idea of being trapped so doesn't sit well, I'd rather die running away from something than be trapped and just have accept that it's happening.
2. Being in a car accident. I so far have managed to not be in one, I know it's likely to happen some day but it terrifies me. I can't stand having other people drive because simply put, I do not trust that they are a good enough driver, or will pay enough attention to keep us from getting into an accident. It's so bad that I don't trust my own mother who has not been in a single accident or gotten so much as a ticket in the 25 years I have been riding in her car, I know she is an excelent driver, she taught ME to drive for christs sake! But then, phobias aren't rational by nature I guess. When I see one on the freeway or street it scares the Isht out of me, and lord help me if I hear one. That sound of crunching metal is quite possibly the most nauseating sound on earth.

Fears...
1. The world ending or dying before I have children. The thought of death itself doesn't really scare me, but If I die or the world mysteriously comes to an end before I have procreated I feel like I would be getting jipped by life.
2. My husband waking up one day and just going, you know what I don't love you anymore, k bye. I don't think that will ever happen but if it did I don't know how I'd handle it, I love him so much and can't imagine life without him.
3. being financially unstable forever. We're going thru a point right now where we're just barely making it every month. He just got home and doesn't have a job yet, I know it will get better but I'm definetly stressing big time on it right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJ'sWife0718 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 01:16 PM
1 love....1 God

fear .... BUGS... omg i freak out and freddy kruger (i know i love horror movies) but this dude scares the crap out of me

phobia.... i hate for the water when im taking a shower to go over my feet, even when i sleep i have to have my feet not covered..

I am the author of my life and unfortunatly im writting in pen and cant erase my errors

SAVE A LIFE DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

Justice is only served when the one whom injustice was done to is satisfied
The Following User Says Thank You to barbie16118 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ'sWife0718 View Post
OK, Phobias:
1.Closed spaces, I'm fine if I know how to get out should I need to, but things like airplanes, elevators, large crowds that could keep me from reaching an exit or not knowing where the exit is really gets to me. The idea of being trapped so doesn't sit well, I'd rather die running away from something than be trapped and just have accept that it's happening.
You know, that's one of those weird things with me - IF I could choose how I will die and it couldn't be in my sleep, that's what I would choose - going nose down in a HUGE jet.... what a rush, nothing you can do about it so you might as well enjoy the ride.... like a HUGE roller coaster
Sort of like when I look down from a tall mountain into the ocean it's like the altitude is "drawing me in" so to speak.... I'm not suicidal but it's almost like I want to jump JUST to know what it feels like.... if that makes any sense LOL
I have tried skydiving already but I think that's a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie16118 View Post
phobia.... i hate for the water when im taking a shower to go over my feet, even when i sleep i have to have my feet not covered..
I don't mean to be mean but that may be one of funniest ones I've heard yet
Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Off topic but couldn't stop myself-sorry.

[quote=EZsWife;5795242]/Recidivism: fearing freedom more than hating prison.QUOTE]

Please don't take offense as I beg to differ with your quote on recidivism as I am more inclined to agree with these words:

"The recidivism rates...attest to the complete failure of our prison system..." Prof. Aviram, University California Hastings Law.

Last edited by 12 years gone; 11-22-2010 at 03:03 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 12 years gone For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (11-30-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,796 Times in 1,593 Posts

Heights and falling (without a chute)... Though, I love flying! And skydiving is definitely on my list - one day!
FriscoLady (11-23-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 years gone View Post
Recidivism: fearing freedom more than hating prison.

Please don't take offense as I beg to differ with your quote on recidivism as I am more inclined to agree with these words:

"The recidivism rates...attest to the complete failure of our prison system..." Prof. Aviram, University California Hastings Law.
None taken - I'm just quoting my husband... this is what he says (he did 13 years, has been out over 3 years). That's why I agree with the words you're saying because I think they're really one side of the same coin - the prison system is designed to break down a person's psyche so much that (s)he fears freedom more than (s)he hates prison and therefore violates or breaks the law again to go back "home". If a person overcomes the fear and faces freedom head on despite their fear - which I can happen in spite of prison, not because of it - they have started hating prison more than they fear freedom and hence, make a decision to stay out for good.

Last edited by Rox73; 11-22-2010 at 06:40 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rox73 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (11-27-2010), cj4u (11-26-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Heights and falling (without a chute)... Though, I love flying! And skydiving is definitely on my list - one day!
There's no feeling quite like it

Then there's aerobatics, that I absolutely LOVE - a completely different kind of adrenaline shower
Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts

Phobia: Heights, which is odd since I fly pretty often now a days. Though like David I love flying!

Fear: Dying in a helicopter accident. I have been in one - helo accident that is. It is amazing what goes through you mind as you watch the ground coming up at you. And yes time does slow down.

Funny story and what may lead to my fear: When the pilot and I heard the kathunk over our heads and under the main rotor assembly. As he dropped the collective his words were "Oh F..k" mine were "Oh Shyt".

Well we both survived thank God however to this day - 25 years later - we joke about those words. Because as I said to him that day in 1985 with our luck the word "Oh" would have been said on this side of life. And the other two words would have come out in front of St. Peter.

It would have taken some explainin to get past that one!

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 11-23-2010 at 12:35 AM..
Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Only a nut would jump out of a perfectly good airplane David!

So if the parachute fits go right ahead!

Also, I can assure you there is absolutely no such thing as a "perfectly good airplane."

And with what I make my living in these days, a chute would be of no good to me! Just prolong the slice and dice phase.

And my mech's wonder why I am so annal with checking their maintenance records! Right!

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 11-23-2010 at 06:41 AM..
Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
Only a nut would jump out of a perfectly good airplane David!
Sooooo.... what are you sayin'?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srjm View Post
I get especially dizzy and nauseus when I'm going up a ski lift. eek.
Ski lifts are out of discussion for me,

It is not that life gets more easy, but much more that we get more strong.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZsWife View Post
Sooooo.... what are you sayin'?
LOL!

Well I was saying you have to be a bit nutty to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft.

However, let me point something out to you. I love to fly in helicopters which have the flight characteristics of a rock if something happens - and a parachute would do me absolutely no good if something were to go wrong!

So of the two of us who is nuttier? Girl it ain't you or David - it's me.

At least, you have a real good chance of making it to the ground in one piece.

In my case, well I most likely will not have that option. As I said above I have already survived one catastrophic engine failure in a helicopter. God forbid it ever happens again when I am in a bird - well the chances are not good that I will get lucky a second time.

Though I would fly in a helo over a fixed wing any day! True it is only maintenance check rides for me these days, but I love flying.

Anyway I have a standing rule, when I clear an aircraft out of a maintenance cycle - I go up on the first test flight. For in this country if you make a mistake and someone dies because of that mistake, you more than likely go to prison for life. Plus you have to live with knowing your mistake killed an innocent.

So if it going to happen, God Forbid, then I am going to be in that aircraft. Rather it be me than some one who is trusting my mechanics and my judgement. Mine is mostly a paperwork job, but allot depends on that paper work - and my ability to interprete that paperwork - the lives of pilot and crew and those that we save.

So yeah, I think I have the handle on nuttyness here!

In fact, I am going to change my worst fear: My worst fear is someone dying in a helicopter that I was responsible for. We all do our best, and though we are a crazy bunch we take our maintenance very, very seriously.

My guys and gals (pilot's and crew) say that they go out and save lives and that is exactly what they do. My motto on my desk is: "When you go to save a life, you are responsible for that life and that of your crew, I am responsible for all the lives in that aircraft. You bring them home alive, I bring all of you home alive."

And I take that motto and my responsibility very, very seriously.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 11-23-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Old 11-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,574 Times in 7,231 Posts

My biggest phobia would be about drowning. It's strange because I can swim like a fish. I think that came from seeing my youngest brother almost drown.

I can't think of any real fears that I have right now because I'm not much afraid of anything. I have a tendency to go with the flow and whatever happens, happens.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts

Fire! I had a house burn down to the ground. Thankfully no one got hurt. We got out with the clothes on our back and the dog. That was it. Everything else burned up.
I don't lite candles, refuse to have a gas grill around me, and just have an intense fear of fire.