Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: How much do you watch, read, listen to Prison related content?
I am obsessed. Movies, tv, books, music, internet groups! 299 37.28%
I am not obsessed, but I do look out for prison related themes. 300 37.41%
I don't look for it, but if I come across it, I'll watch or listen. 171 21.32%
I have way too much other stuff to do! 32 3.99%
Voters: 802. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM

Yea because on shows like Lockup prisons such as Rikers, San Quentin, and Stateville with it's hell like circular design that resembles something out of a Dante book are "fake prisons". When the cameras shut down all the staff and inmates get bussed over to the real prison. LOL.

Last edited by MattM; 04-04-2007 at 08:58 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,169 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
I cannot lie, I am so unimpressed when i see a young lady claiming to be the wife or girlfriend of an inmate and she has his numbers written on paper! Are you serious? I know those numbers like I know my address, phone number, etc.
I can feel you on this lovink, its like okay your with him how long and you dont know those numbers yet? I know his number better than my own birthday!!!!LOL
Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieJo
don't be. you'd only be sponsoring new legislation by contributing to their ratings.
How is that?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM

yep i quess ur right i have always watched prison type movies and shows lock-up prison break but on the other hand i think that the prison system here needs alot of work i wish one day to start a career in the system you know help turn it around
Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Kitty Loving Member
Donation Award 

I guess I'm one of the 3 (6%) who have no desire to, and therefore never watch or read the stuff.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 AM

I'm obsessed with anything prison related. Its like I want to know as much as possible about prison life and the things he could possibly be going thru. It helps me feel connected to him and I'm able to understand his situation better. I hate when MSNBC Lockup has re-runs, I want new episodes because I seen them all. I did watch some "Oz" and rented movies with prison themes. I read Jon's Jail Blog and other online prison stories. Its like I can't get enough. All of this really opened my eyes to the things that go on in prisons and how the system works. It is sad. Prior to all of this I had an illusion that prison was easy living.

I love "Prison Break" but I know its not real so I watch it for other reasons (drama, suspense, hot actors, good acting, great storylines).
Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 AM

Its the strangest thing but I have always been obessed with Prison movies, the shows, i was so obessed I got a job with the DOC but they let me go pretty quickly hahaha but the funniest thing I didnt even work in an actual prison i worked for Central Offices But still I can relate!!! Blood In Blood Out, American Me yes love all prison related Even when they have the shows about Alcatraz I watch it all!!! Even that show JUvies I still watch it!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Only the strong survive

The only program I watched was OZ, becuase the guys were to cute but once it was over that was it. I like to look at documentary's pertaining to prison issues, when they are given from time to time on the history channel or discovery channel. I can't get into shows becuase they are so fictional, I know they are just for entertainment purposes but its the idea of watching someone break out of jail and continue to run with a group of guys looking for some gold or some other crap. I prefer to stick to the reality of things to the real issues at hand to make me understand more of what really happens in the prison system.
But I would have to agree with Lovinkiah I'm a Law and Order fan becuase once I saw Christopher Melonis butt on OZ I just went ga, ga for him lol!!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:39 AM
1 love....1 God

i come on PTO once in a while from work, other then that i have nothing to do with the prison stuff. i dont watch any prison related movies, shows or anything else. visiting my husband in prison is enough for me.

I am the author of my life and unfortunatly im writting in pen and cant erase my errors

SAVE A LIFE DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

Justice is only served when the one whom injustice was done to is satisfied
Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Waiting for Bo

Since my fiance has been in, I have become way more intersted in the correctional system. I now find myself wanting to go into the correctional field - a counselor or something. At one of the correctional facilites my fiance was in, the counselor treated him so badly. He was so cruel and heartless. They need someone in there that has a heart and compassion and that wants to help them help themselves. (I'm not saying all prison counselors don't care.) This will probably change once he's home. I won't want to see the walls of a prison again.
I watch all the prison documentaries on tv and have all the Akon cds. FLY AWAY by Nelly is a really good song.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Steve's Girl Forever

I have always been interested in shows about prisons too. But I never in a million years would have believed that my boyfriend would end up in prison. But I'm like you I love the MSNBC Lock Up. I never miss it. But I wish they would have more of them, because I have seen all of them quiet a few times. I know that most of the ones for this year are new, but I'd like to see more. Kathy

Last edited by stevie63; 04-06-2007 at 07:50 AM..
Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 PM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

I used to L O V E law and order...that show was my "it". I loved Elliot Stabler!!!
but since i have been with my guy, HE really likes prisonbreak and prison based movies, i havent watched ONE since he has been gone. Nor have i watched one episode of anything "crime" related. its kinda crazy. I guess im too tired fighting the system to become "involved" in anything that references the system. im much more of a Greys anatomy fan!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 PM

Thumbs up Juvies

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadriane
Its the strangest thing but I have always been obessed with Prison movies, the shows, i was so obessed I got a job with the DOC but they let me go pretty quickly hahaha but the funniest thing I didnt even work in an actual prison i worked for Central Offices But still I can relate!!! Blood In Blood Out, American Me yes love all prison related Even when they have the shows about Alcatraz I watch it all!!! Even that show JUvies I still watch it!
I watch Juvies on MTV too!! I love it. I got my Grandma interested in it too. I never knew what juvenile correctional facility was like and man its nothing like what I thought. Why the hell do they make them take off their prison uniforms before going to bed? The kids say its cold up in there. Do they not have enough uniforms and do laundry at night? Strange....
Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 AM

Oh you are so NOT alone. I never really thought about it until I saw your post, but I'm a Forensic file, Lockup addict. Also I seem to be strangely attached to Court tv as well
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 AM

I watch Lockup too...it give me a better understanding of what my Son goes through on a daily basis. It doesnt always make me happy but at least I understand. Like he talks about a cookup...when they get together and make a "casserole" of stuff like ramen, tuna, and anything else they counjure up...well I saw them doing it on lockup the other night. I watch this show for information but do not really enjoy the TV shows like Prison Break. Just watch MSNBC to inform myself a bit.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:08 AM

My wife is the one going to prison in just month or so.
She was always watching Law and Order, and mostly loved all the Deniro Pacino Movies, like Scarface, and Heat, Donnie Brasco, in fact owns all the DVD's of the Godfather, and Soprano's.
Weird thing is she was to go to the academy to be a cop, but she had to relocate for her EX job, and I always remember her saying while she worked at station doing booking, the desk sergeant and cops got under her skin, she felt more for the criminals, the way the cops treated them was so wrong. So, she guess it was good thing her EX got her out of that city, just too bad brothers died and she move back when her Mom ask.
Well before this past year we got hook on Prison Break, and just watch the season finale.
She said will you tape next season for me. And he next, and next....
She also was watching Lock Up late at night before bed.
I would yell at her.
She would get upset, and said no one was being real, she needed to be real.
It wasn't like she was going to go in and have someone take her around ahead of time and let her shadow them.
But then again she said that would be helpful, like a mentoring program.
They keep telling you not to worry you will be alright, yeah Bulshit, have they been here?
They say it is not like TV, well what else do we have to go on?
Maybe the warden should make a handout with a intro video to mail out to all incoming cons, and give us the low, that would be nice, and a little tour.
Oh and show us our cell, and our new bunkmates, you know so we get a way to feel it all out.
What do you think, think they will like my suggestion?

She comes up with a lot of those.
Yeah she is bullshitting.
So, I leave her alone to go back to watching Lock Down.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:47 PM

i watch lock up and read everything on prisons..i'm hooked always have been
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Shawn

Ok I thought it was just me. I watch lock up and I own the movies American History X and Shawshenk Redemption also. It just helps me to relate to his life ya know. Also to feel closer to him. His sister thinks im obsessed with Inmates and she has only met me once. I will NOT confess to this however prison stuff YES becuz that is the hell that holds my mans flesh!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM

I know I'm obsessed with the prison system but I have always been even before my husband went in we both were. I remember watching a special on Univison about Pelican Bay a few years back with my husband and we were so shocked with what we saw, now where is he? Pelican Bay........ I do wish Msnbc Lock up would show some new episodes I've seen them all already. Oh yah I'm also obsessed with PTO
Old 04-11-2007, 05:31 PM

I Loooooooooooove Lock Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:37 PM
i love my hubby

Yes!!! Ever Since My Man Went In Its Been Like An Obsession First With Pto Then Pto Clubs To Intreact With Other Women On Same Level
Prison Realted Current Events
Books
Movies
Yahoo Group For My Prison
Prison Break
Anything In News Relating To Prison
Elections To Make A Change
Yahoo Group For Pto Club
It Goes On And On But I Feel Like I Got To Keep Up With All The Changes In System Especailly With Current Events And Being Invloved
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
I Come to You in Pieces

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed. I've been studying criminology for 3 years now so it's always sparked my interest even before he was locked up and before I started college. I do however watch Lock Up and Supermax all the time. I love Prison Break and Oz (I need to rent season 6). He's told me that I'm going to have to watch that stuff alone when he comes home because he doesn't want to relive it once he's home.

*I love you with everything that I am*

Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Account Closed

Prison, and all things associated with it ,makes me ill. Even visiting, when I see children, aged parents, and relatives, women that are pregnant it makes me realize the predicament that inmates leave behind when they do their silly crimes.I get no joy seeing prison gangs, strip search, cell tossing, and all the other bs that is prison life.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
dangerously in love

I don't know about obsessed, but I've definitely found myself taking more interest in those things since he's been gone. I guess since I've had this experience and have something to compare it to based on what I experience and what he tells me, I would view it from a different perspective. I definitely do get excited when I see back to back episodes of lockup. I hadn't watched oz in a long time but started again. The prison movies, not so much. I do spend more time reading up on literature involving the things being done to help inmates upon release like the second chance act of 2007. Humans naturally fear unfamiliar things. The more we know or feel we know, the less scary it seems. That's my take on it.

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Old 04-18-2007, 06:52 AM

Im getting a little bit obsessed with this site. I hope its just a phase. When i first discovered myspace i was hooked but i got over it.