Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,768 Posts
Default State parole vs. AB109 county supervision (Riverside)

Could anyone educate me on what the major differences are between state parole and county supervision...if there are any 'major' differences? Also I'd be particularly interested in how Riverside county is as a supervising county... I'm ahead of myself with this a little bit but my LO will be on this AB109 county supervision when he gets released next year, and I'd like to learn about it upfront - for example, is it completely unrealistic to even ask whether he'd be able to travel abroad...do they grant you permission to travel at all, let alone leave the country (visiting)?

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (02-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Could anyone educate me on what the major differences are between state parole and county supervision...if there are any 'major' differences? Also I'd be particularly interested in how Riverside county is as a supervising county... I'm ahead of myself with this a little bit but my LO will be on this AB109 county supervision when he gets released next year, and I'd like to learn about it upfront - for example, is it completely unrealistic to even ask whether he'd be able to travel abroad...do they grant you permission to travel at all, let alone leave the country (visiting)?

The major difference between State parole and county supervision. Is to be on state parole you must have been in state prison, County supervision is supervision by probation. All supervision and incidents of violation are handled by county probation I found this information County of Riverside Public Safety Realignment & Post-release Community Supervision . It has probably been updated since this was printed but might give you some ideas.
As far as travel goes probation and parole both have travel restrictions. Very general terms here You must not leave the your county of residences without permission from you probation or parole office. A lot of travel issues will be up to the probation officer.
This has been my expernice with anything to do with any thing that pertains to the courts all the way to the law enforcement . They all have been straight out asses towards me when I have had to contact them on the behalf of someone or to obtain information which they are legally responsible to provide to a person. Riverside county is the masters of the B.S. run around
You may also want to review Postrelease Community Supervision Act of 2011 I think Penal code section 3451- 3465 will be more informative for what you are looking for
Sarianna (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanks Patrick, I'll have to read through all that this weekend....hadn't found these documents myself yet

Sorry to hear about your experiences...and that Riverside basically sucks (my fiancé has hinted on similar past experiences but I figured I might as well try and learn facts about their rules myself). Thanks again!

Patrickj (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:50 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Thanks Patrick, I'll have to read through all that this weekend....hadn't found these documents myself yet

Sorry to hear about your experiences...and that Riverside basically sucks (my fiancé has hinted on similar past experiences but I figured I might as well try and learn facts about their rules myself). Thanks again!

I just figured my luck with Riverside county , was do to that I was in northern CA., they figured I wouldn't be getting up in their face personally. Now Riverside county isn't the only county that can give me the B.S run around they just kind of hold first chair for me. Don't let my experiences detour you in any way. Just giving you a heads up on what to expect. Heck you may get someone that might really care for a change .
I going to admit that I have agencies that I call in different places that I have a contact person, that is a pleasure to have to contact.( a lot of inside jokes which I am the butt of ) I am used to that I will see if I can find some more county related information for you to review
Sarianna (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Now Riverside county isn't the only county that can give me the B.S run around they just kind of hold first chair for me. Don't let my experiences detour you in any way.
Oh, no worries... We'll deal with what we have to deal with, I think for me it's just good to educate myself and find out facts...because my fiancé seems to be expecting the worst with them and I think he's letting his own (negative) attitude affect him already. I'm thinking if I know as much as possible by the time he gets out it could be helpful...or so one can hope. But, of course, as you say, it probably depends a lot also on what kind of PO he gets. We'll see.

Patrickj (02-14-2019)