Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Default Frustrated with the process

I'm not sure that this is the right place but considering what I'm most frustrated about deals with the federal system I figured I would start here just as I vent.

As many know we are still at the pre-sentencing stage. It was scheduled for yesterday and it was delayed until April 4th, which in the long run is a good thing because I have to move from where I live as I won't be able to afford the rent payment and the lease is up April 30th so we'll be able to pay the last big payment while he's still here for sure.

I also know that things could be and will be worse because at this point he is home. I'm sure a year from now I'll find some of the things I am irritated with now trivial... but I doubt I will on the main thing that frustrates me.

Hubby was arrested May 21st. He went to court on May 24th to have charges officially read and then held over until the 31st when he went back to court. He was released on house arrest and has been so since then. Seeing as he's disabled and receives SSDI he doesn't leave to say go to work or anything. He's allowed Tuesdays and Fridays out for 3 hours for group therapy (of course bringing back paperwork to prove he went there) but with me having to go back to work that is not always possible. Not only is he not allowed to take me to and from work so he can have the vehicle, technically I work in another state and so obviously he cannot cross state lines. So if my son and I both work on those days he doesn't go. Of course he gets dr appointments out (aside from an 11 day hospital stay in Dec, he's had maybe 6 since June) and lawyer appointments (I think there's been 3-4 of those).

We've gotten used to not being able to use Internet connected items such as Netflix or X-box although annoying. We've gotten used to a few doors in the house being locked and the fact that he cannot go beyond our front porch or the bracelet says he's out of range.

He has had a birthday. We've had an anniversary come and go; Thanksgiving and Christmas have come and gone too. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and my birthday is in a few weeks. There's no going out to dinner, a movie, or him being able to run out and get something for me. Hell, with Internet restrictions he couldn't even buy something online if he wanted to.

I accept that this is all part of the punishment that goes along with the crime that he committed. What I take issue with is that all this time (It will be at least a year on house arrest before he actually leaves) counts for nothing unless the judge is compassionate. I understand that his is being afforded many more "freedoms" than he will be once incarcerated and I'm not saying that I think it should be considered 100% towards time served but he's definitely had freedoms taken away and this all started LONG before his plea was signed. He was released May 31st and signed the plea Oct. 26th.

I know... get over it.. it is what it is and I know I'm just having a rough time thinking about it today... but still. I know we've all discussed the "guilty until proven innocent" stance the "justice" system takes and again, I could even accept that too as long as it counted for something!!

Thanks for listening
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,942 Times in 12,161 Posts

I agree that federal pretrial services rules are definitely punitive. My restrictions were more severe than anything I encountered after serving my sentence. Supervised Release was also punitive, but nothing like what the pretrial PO enforced. Unfortunately the only way to get credit is if you decide to return to custody to await sentencing. Being allowed to post a federal bond is sold as being a great benefit, but you are still "guilty unless you are eventually acquitted", and are punished accordingly, as if already convicted.

It's his decision, and I finally decided to put up with all of the BS because the county jails in Florida are so terrible.

Another possible benefit is that income from sources that will be stopped after sentencing, like Social Security, will continue.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,857 Posts

As a former federal inmate that was denied bond and spent 24 months in 9 different county jails?

You have NO idea how much worse jails can be than home confinement, but if he’s had enough of it all he has to do is turn himself into the US Marshals.

THEN his time will start ticking. HE made the decision to accept bond & the restrictions that come along with it. HE broke the law, HE accepted the guilty plea & HE needs to be counting his blessings he’s not in some county jail.

You know all the news stories you see about the poor illegal immigrants and how bad they have it in federal custody? I envy them. Even the worst story is better than any county jail I was in.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:37 PM

Yeah, as I said in the long run it will benefit us with this delay. I really need his SSDI now to pay the high rent and so my income can work on lowering debt. Once he's gone it'll be different and my son who lives with us and I have a plan set up for later too. In fact hubby just came in the room and asked if such and such company was his bracelet. Obviously I've gotten the mail the last 8 months lol. And again I'm even ok with the restrictions for the most part. I just disagree that with how it's later calculated.

I know the SC and BOP have addressed it and seemingly refuse to budge but it doesnt make it any less aggravating.

I don't throw the word unconstitutional around willy Nilly but this does have me wondering how it can not be. The PO said that almost all of those on bail in this district are on bracelets and at a high level than average.

I thought it funny that she said when he SS that she'll probably come and take the bracelet off before he does so. She asked if we understood it could be anywhere and I stayed yes and if need be he will have to get on a plane and fly there.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Owned

What were his thoughts about the constitution as he was breaking the law?

He had the constitutional right to live legally and opted not to. Just like he had the right to decline bond.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 PM

Clearly it is a benefit to be at home on bond rather then sitting it out in some jail but, if he was in jail he would be receiving credit. Home confinement is somewhat punitive and, the judge should take it into consideration during sentencing. Should he receive 1-1 credit.. no but, some consideration is warranted.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
Clearly it is a benefit to be at home on bond rather then sitting it out in some jail but, if he was in jail he would be receiving credit. Home confinement is somewhat punitive and, the judge should take it into consideration during sentencing. Should he receive 1-1 credit.. no but, some consideration is warranted.
That's what I'm saying, not full credit like he would if he was incarcerated but it should count to something considering that freedoms have been taken.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,942 Times in 12,161 Posts

Another big benefit, if he is allowed to self surrender, is avoiding the joys of being transported all over the country, in chains, often for months before finally arriving at his designated prison. I'm sure if I ended up spending much more time than I did in county jails, it would have become the most difficult part of my sentence, exceeding the current winner, 6+ months "in transit, aka diesel therapy.

My main complaint about the time leading up to the actual conclusion of the criminal case, and imposition of the sentence, is the way virtually every AUSA/prosecutor embellishes the danger of having everyone, who at the moment has only been accused of a crime, be free pending the conclusion of their case. They do it by claiming that they are all imminent dangers to society, as dangerous as "public enemy number one". The same overreach is practiced by the US Probation Officers who work for "pretrial services".

US federal courts and their employees, US Probation Officers, definitely treat everyone as if they are "guilty as charged".
Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
exceeding the current winner, 6+ months "in transit, aka diesel therapy. .
I used this phrase, "diesel therapy" in front of the PO today...lol She pointed out that hubby could turn himself in at any time and start the process to which I brought this up and why we are counting on SS. I was saying how with his spinal injury traveling in a bus, in change with unpredictable stops was not reasonable if he can avoid it. He piped up and told her the ride itself would "kill" him when she commented that his medical condition would be cared for (YEAH WHATEVER).

I already have a fear that the BOP will have him in a wheelchair before it's all done because he's a liability, the last thing we want is for them to actually make the injury worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-14-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
That’s somewhat unrealistic in the eyes of most federal judges.

Some county jails are so bad that some states give extra credit fr jail time, but not the feds.

Again, I did 24 months in county and my judge made it clear 1-1 was all I was getting. 12 of those months were in 3 different jails AFTER sentencing.

My judge often reminded me I should have thought about all of that before I committed the crime.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 PM
Owned

“something considering that freedoms have been taken.”

The courts don’t see it has his freedoms being taken. They see it as him voluntarily giving them up. To them he volunteered to give up certain things in exchange for skipping the hardships of county.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,358 Posts

Girl22472, PTO should be a safe place to vent. After all, who else can you talk to who understands. I'm sure you already know the gist of respectful comments that followed your post. One of my client's spouses was driven to distraction by rubbing up against the ankle bracelet in bed at night (at the end of her husband's sentence.) Personally, I hope you feel free to express yourself because it's not just your husband's life that was interrupted. I think house arrest is easier when the defendant is working, but it sounds like that isn't possible in your situation. Hang in there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-14-2019), Girl22472 (02-13-2019), joybubby (Today), Sarianna (02-14-2019), worldwide (02-13-2019)