Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Thanked 1,492 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The bop community corrections manager (CCM) has to approve many decisions made by the HWH staff. The one I dealt with micromanaged everything to the point of restricting when the TV could be turned on, and even wanted to know why I was going to a doctor's appointment. Maybe to offer a "second opinion"?

I hoped he was given that job by the bop to keep him away from actual prisons, but probably not.
Not surprised. The head guy there he said came across very egotistical when he led one of the orientation sessions. Yet, of course when there's an issue, the guy is awol.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 PM

So my husband had the orientation part with the parole office today. He said this was the longest orientation piece he has had so far at 1-1/2 hours. They only have someone from the PO there once every 2 weeks. If you're late to the meeting, they lock the doors and you have to wait another 2 weeks. He said about 4 people missed out on that. He said there were about 25 people there, they asked if anyone was recommended for straight home confinement. Surprisingly, he was the only 1. There were 3 women in there, the rest were men. This is the first time he's been in anything that the women and men were allowed to be together, so that also surprised him.

Everything they went over he already knew. They went over what you need to do if you have contact with police, etc. They also again went over the rules for travel. Can't travel within 60 days of going on SR, and then after that you can travel within the country you just notify your PO where and when you are going. As has been discussed before, there was nothing about having to notify other districts or states about coming there or getting approval. The only caveat to that is that you cannot go to Las Vegas during March Madness or the Superbowl weekend. Also, if you are going out of the country you need approval by a judge. That was it.

He has 1 item left to get a signature for the orientation and he is done. That is with the chaplain, who didn't show up last week for the orientation session. The next session is Thursday but the guy is supposed to come tomorrow for something so my husband is hoping to just meet up with him and get him to do his spiel and be done. It is ironic that is the last piece because there's nothing helpful the chaplain can do for him because my husband will NOT be going to the bible study class or be using his services for anything since it's the wrong religion but whatever. He then is supposed to have something called PRT on Thursday.

He has not yet found out if he was approved for us to go to dinner on Thursday night. If he isn't, it is still his regular visiting day, so I will instead just bring something in.

Hoping if he gets the orientation stuff done, that even if he isn't granted the HC for whatever bs reason they decide to make up, that he can get a weekend pass or even one day pass to come home.

The good news for me is that by being there, my husband is learning to fend for himself with certain things and learn things on his own. ie learning certain things on the iphone. Of course, I would much rather he be here to help with stuff here!

Hope the rest of you going through this process don't have to deal with some of this nonsense!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM

''the only caveat to that is that you cannot go to Las Vegas during March Madness or the Superbowl weekend''

This made me laugh. I mean I get it but, do you think the guy giving the class was kidding around? Of all the debaucherous things you can get into in Vegas these two events are the least of it. I know its not like these guys to make a joke but, he must have been trying to lighten up the class....
Old 02-13-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
''the only caveat to that is that you cannot go to Las Vegas during March Madness or the Superbowl weekend''

This made me laugh. I mean I get it but, do you think the guy giving the class was kidding around? Of all the debaucherous things you can get into in Vegas these two events are the least of it. I know its not like these guys to make a joke but, he must have been trying to lighten up the class....
Nope, definitely NOT kidding. Just one more of their stupid rules. You are correct that there are many places, especially in this day and age that you can get into trouble and going to Vegas over the SB or March madness are not the only times, although those are the two biggest weekends there and crime is probably way up, but really, hard to believe that the Vegas PO doesn't want to deal with that, but again, there is some crazy stuff that goes on. At least it's been confirmed that he doesn't have to contact any probation offices as others have thought when he goes and travels, so that will be nice!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,339 Times in 12,344 Posts

My HWH overseer, the bop CCM, locked us down on New Year's Eve. I guess the mandatory alcohol breathalyzer at the HWH door wasn't sufficient to show if someone was drinking.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
My HWH overseer, the bop CCM, locked us down on New Year's Eve. I guess the mandatory alcohol breathalyzer at the HWH door wasn't sufficient to show if someone was drinking.
Right, so dumb. So this year, someone can't go to Vegas, but wait until next year when you're off SR? Stupid!

Vegas isn't even what is used to be. That's the funniest part of all of it. All one has to do is look in their own backyard.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Right, so dumb. So this year, someone can't go to Vegas, but wait until next year when you're off SR? Stupid!

Vegas isn't even what is used to be. That's the funniest part of all of it. All one has to do is look in their own backyard.
It's no different than the stupid rule that SO's cannot live 1000 ft from a school, park or daycare... as if that 1000 ft would mean anything to someone determined to re-offend. I swear they make this s*** up off the top of their head and then think it still sounds good when it's on paper.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Ok so to update all. On February 14 he had what is called his PRT meeting (program review team) or something like that. It turns out he was not approved for the pass on Vday as I think I said elsewhere that the reason given is that because he was approved for direct HC they can't approve him for a pass because he may get called to go to HC right away and he needs to be out of the HWH quickly. Stupid. Then at his PRT when he mentions that, this guy said no, that's not why he wasn't approved. He claims he doesn't approve anyone for that holiday among others because that's when people get into trouble and by not giving passes, they can't get into trouble. Ok, now, I understand people can get into trouble, but seriously? The job of the hwh is to help them stay out of trouble and teach them skills to avoid that and re-integrate them and also not to punish everyone. But no, they just blanket punish everyone. The other thing that is silly is that they don't even give these guys the opportunity to earn trust and instead keep them locked up so then when they're home, they don't have the skills to know what to do when in a bad situation so no wonder recidivism is so high. So many things wrong here. The policy there btw is that anyone recommended for direct home confinement cannot receive any sort of pass other than for religious, medical, or work, so my husband couldn't even be approved for a weekend pass home either and the 14th was 2 weeks. So, at the PRT the did approve him for home confinement because he had finished orientation. They then tell him the BUT..

But, "we are under audit by the BOP" and they have to approve you..approve him again? They had already approved him in Duluth. And we wonder why the BOP and our government is in such bad shape? So the audit they said is one issue which will end the next day. Then it's PResident's weekend. So he then says "ok, then I"ll be out TUesday?". They now claim "not necessarily because there's a backlog from the shutdown". Are you f'ing kidding me. YOu cannot make this shit up. Meanwhile, if we lived in Minnesota, he would've gone to 1 hour orientation and then home immediately the same day. Shaking my head.

So he contacts our lawyer regarding all of this. He contacts the head of the HWH who assures our attorney that his application will be processed expeditiously on Tuesday. Of course, this all after the PRT group tells him his application is being processed on Thursday before. So the left doesn't know what the right is doing!

Anyway, he gets called into the intake person's office on Tuesday, who knows about the lawyer calling and thankfully types it all up and has him sign and does her part. TElls him the person at the BOP who has to sign it usually does it within 24-48 hours and is there answering emails so it should be quick. We are hopeful he will be out by Thrusday of last week which is 3 weeks. (His entire term of HC/HWH is only 53 days). Well Thursday comes and goes, nothing. Friday, nothing. He again asks his case manager for a weekend pass. She asks the same dickwad who refused to let him out for dinner for Vday and he again says no. Like really? He had an 830 am DR appt today up in the burbs and the HWH is essentially empty. He's not been a problem and they say no. By the way, he only costs them $. Giving him 3 meals a day, not pushing him to get a job, or take any other classes there. Stupid. But that's life.

The only saving grace was that on Saturday he walked out of the bathroom and saw a sign that had the names of the BOP people that were not responding to our lawyer, as well as the name of the woman and her boss who he was told approves his application. He gave her info to our lawyer, who first thing this am called the various people. Low and behold he got ahold of someone and the kicker..my husband's application is there. Where is it you wonder? Just sitting on the woman's desk (the woman who is not answering her phone and who has a full voicemail) waiting to be signed. Just sitting there!! Are you f'ing kidding me???

So, finally. Our attorney, thank god for him. Sends her an email cc's her boss and tells her that my husband has met all the terms of orientation, was approved for direct home confinement in Duluth, was approved again at the Chicago HWH and to confirm he will be released today or provide an explanation for the delay, as he would like to resolve without seeking judicial relief, but further delay may require us to raise the issue with the Judge.

Well, finally....a couple hours later the news we were waiting for. He is getting out!! Unbelievable. These people cannot continue to do this to the laymen who doesn't have the means to have an attorney in their corner. This whole process just sucks. I am annoyed to no end and beyond frustrated and really wish we had a connection to the media because the whole thing is a farce. Additionally, there has not been one single thing my husband has done or received in any way to help with reintegration back to society. He wasn't in prison long enough where he missed out on much, but for guys that have been, it's no wonder they end up right back in. They don't have the tools to be able to function on the outside. Fortunately, my husband had his own private room, was able to have an iPhone, and really good food, otherwise he would have been freaking out way more, but the whole thing was a big waste of time.

As for home confinement, again still nothing for reintegration. He is allowed to be out for 6 hour blocks of time to do anything he basically wants from 6am on (or maybe it's 7). But my son has something at 545am and he has permission to take him (thank god just in time as it starts tomorrow). He has to be home by 7pm and you can't go out at all on Friday nights. But that really means, who knows? Because what's really the difference between being home at 7pm on a Saturday and not going out at all on a Friday? Not much if you ask me. He can get approved for special occasions too where he can be out after 7pm. So it's dumb. I think going to work, DR, or religion doesn't count towards the 6 hours either. He has to get a job approved by his case manager. If she doesn't like the job, she runs it by his PO. The PO already knows what he's doing and is fine with it, so we were told, so hopefully that won't be an issue and he's planning to work from home. If he doesn't get a job in 2 weeks, he goes back to the HWH. More dumbness. He is released from HC on March 25 so in total he has 4 weeks from today.

And, in other news here, his parole officer first wanted to meet with us on 3/25. I couldn't meet that day, so then he threw out 3/27. I asked for 3/18 because I would be out of town on 3/25 , and he said it had to be within 72 hours and I didn't have to be there. So I said ok. Then a few days later he said he would be unavailable 3/27 anyway, and we could do it on 3/21. So basically when it suits them, they change it, but when we make a special request, nope, they make an excuse. But today my husband went to confirm 3/21 and now the guy says he can't do that day, and wants to do 3/29. So that surprised me because that's both outside the HC and more than 72 hours but the guy said it's not a problem. So whatever. Again, they do whatever they want. God forbid any of us asks for anything special.

Lastly, we had bad winds here all day yesterday and -15 today. My husband has a car down there. Since he wasn't able to leave the HWH since Saturday I was worried the 10 year old car wouldn't start when he left at 6am this morning. He asked them last night if he could go to the lot (mind you it's their secure lot) and start the car for 5 mins. They were jerks and said no. At dinner he must've said something to another worker about it and she said back to him that since she knows he isn't any trouble, she will let him run out and do it if he's back within 5 mins. So there he ran out in freezing weather with no jacket on to make sure our car started and ran for 5 mins. But seriously, someone finally being human. Is it that difficult? My god. These guys may be felons, but they're human and just trying to start over. Thank god she was nice enough to do so and thank god the car started today, and thank god, Phase 2 of this experience is over! On to phase 3, home confinement and I'm sure the next part of this (him) driving me crazy once he is home!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-25-2019), worldwide (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,432 Posts

Thank god for good news, but not without a headache!

Old 02-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,339 Times in 12,344 Posts

What the bop does, day in and day out, is so bizarre that it is unbelievable to anyone who hasn't experienced it themselves. Lies and excuses for everything from the evil bureaucrats, plus they treat adults as if they are enrolled in a pre-kindergarten day care.

Apparently the CCM who locked down my HWH on New Years Eve was just doing what they all do for the same excuse, one that makes absolutely no sense. Alcohol testing at the entrance every single time anyone returns to the HWH, plus I was once drug tested twice, one hour apart, for another excuse (logical to the bop, ridiculous to everyone else) that someone who has never abused drugs would immediately rush out to get high after passing the first drug test.

Most times nobody, lawyer/legislator/president, etc. can get them to change anything. They are taught to invoke the "safety & security" mantra whenever they are caught ignoring one of their own policies, and it has been hugely successful.

I was pleasantly surprised when the US Congress called the bop's bluff by including deadlines for them to adopt some of the changes in the First Step Act. That is because the bop has still not fully complied with the Second Chance Act that was first passed 12 years ago. Even so, they now claim that they are unable to compute the additional 7 days of good time per year until July 31. That means that numerous bop prisoners who will have already completed their entire prison sentences will continue to be caged because the bop claims they can't do simple arithmetic. By the way, the 54 days of good time per year that is being force fed to the bop by the First Step Act has been the federal law for more than 35 years (Truth in Sentencing Act of 1984), but it was ignored by the bop when they decided that Congress really meant 47 days when they wrote 54 days into the law. Now they are still refusing to release some prisoners on time.

That is only one way the bop does whatever it wants to do regardless of federal law. Here's an article form The Marshall Project discussing how the bop continues to ignore Congress in the area of compassionate release. "Old, Sick and Dying in Shackles" "Compassionate release” has bipartisan support as a way to reduce the federal prison population and save taxpayer money. New data shows that it’s rarely used".
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...ng-in-shackles

Last edited by fbopnomore; 02-25-2019 at 05:07 PM..