Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Minimum security question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
Hello everyone,

I am currently a CO working in a prison in the United States. Does anyone have any questions that they would want answered from "my" point of view? About life inside the walls, games inmates play, why COs do certain things etc.
Hi I own a company and have not paid payroll taxes for a long time and Iím looking at 24 to 30 months in jail sometime starting in April and I guess a minimum security facility in Morgantown West Virginia Iíve never done anything wrong in my life never been to prison donít have a criminal record and just wonder what the day-to-day life is in a place like that.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2018, 08:41 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,686 Times in 7,377 Posts

Quote:
I would also wish that we have enough staff to keep everyone busy ....

But we don't we work in a world were most people just don't care about what happens behind the walls. Our world is where we warehouse guys for x years and wonder why they come out the same or worse after a stint in prison.

Because many don't care we just don't have that push for funding to keep these guys busy and productive. Because we don't have the funding.....they are idle most of the time.
I guess that was sort of my point-- it isn't funding or staff making this happen in CA prisons, it's inmate driven. Inmate lead groups, classes, inmates writing and inviting outside programs to put on workshops. But, the facility and corrections culture has to allow it to happen.

I disagree that we live in a world where most people don't care. There are literally thousands who work on social justice issues and rehab programming in our state and they make exactly $0 doing it. I take my role as the wife of an incarcerated man as being part of a delegation. I have the opportunity to challenge what some see as stereotypical criminal association and what it means to have a loved one in prison. Not everyone chooses to do that and that's fine. But as long as we keep setting the bar low, that's exactly what we'll achieve inside and outside of prison.

Last edited by miamac; 12-24-2018 at 08:48 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-25-2018), Ms Sunny (12-31-2018), MsFish (03-12-2019)
Old 12-24-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I guess that was sort of my point-- it isn't funding or staff making this happen in CA prisons, it's inmate driven. Inmate lead groups, classes, inmates writing and inviting outside programs to put on workshops. But, the facility and corrections culture has to allow it to happen.

I disagree that we live in a world where most people don't care. There are literally thousands who work on social justice issues and rehab programming in our state and they make exactly $0 doing it. I take my role as the wife of an incarcerated man as being part of a delegation. I have the opportunity to challenge what some see as stereotypical criminal association and what it means to have a loved one in prison. Not everyone chooses to do that and that's fine. But as long as we keep setting the bar low, that's exactly what we'll achieve inside and outside of prison.
From my limited experience, those that focus on the Social Justice issues usually have been touched in some way by the system.

Those in power, those with the purse strings, those in gov, state and federal usually place prisons low on the priority list. and first on the list to cut spending. Those are the ones that I feel don't care.

I've seen it, year in and year out. One less teacher here, one less teacher there. One less counselor or case manager. One less counselor or case manager means larger case loads and less one on one time with those on that case load. While many classes are inmate led, there still needs to be staff there to supervise. If there is no staff in the education dept, then those inmate classes don't happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (12-31-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
From my limited experience, those that focus on the Social Justice issues usually have been touched in some way by the system.
I agree with this statement as a whole, but I think our perspective on Ďbeing touched by the systemí is very different. There are hundreds of thousands of people (even globally) that are touched by the system, and without being personally involved. Theyíre impassioned by the state of the US prison and justice system currently. Thanks to a recent drive in True Crime media, and a spotlight on the state of the US justice systems and the deplorable state of prisons, countless people completely personally unaffected by the system are now driven to want/see change. Even people in your own backyard, that had no idea how bad things really are, now care about the treatment and rehabilitation of prisoners in America. This is quite literally why/how I even found this website and am now posting here.

I can relate to what miamac says about things being inmate driven. My PP has done 8.5 years so far and outside of education, has had no rehabilitation. He has taken it upon himself to read countless books on psychology to help him understand his crime, his mental state that lead up to it, and how to correct his state of mind in order to grow and change as a human being.

Funding is the very obvious major issue. Without the resources, these programmes just canít happen. Hopefully the reality of funding and the necessity for rehabilitation meet a happy crossover at some stage in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
MsFish (12-27-2018), Raf's Girl (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:38 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,209 Times in 15,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich51 View Post
Hi I own a company and have not paid payroll taxes for a long time and I’m looking at 24 to 30 months in jail sometime starting in April and I guess a minimum security facility in Morgantown West Virginia I’ve never done anything wrong in my life never been to prison don’t have a criminal record and just wonder what the day-to-day life is in a place like that.
There is a big difference between jail & prison Since you've yet to be sentenced, you have not been designated to a facility. It will be easier on you if you're allowed to self-surrender, that will save you from spending time in a county facility then transported via U. S. Marshalls to a Federal prison.

There is a whole forum dedicated to the Federal Prison System HERE. You may want to read some of the threads there & post further questions relating to Federal / BOP there as well....Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Bikerguy (12-27-2018), fbopnomore (12-25-2018), KiwiPP (12-25-2018), miamac (12-25-2018), Sarianna (12-25-2018), Taliba00 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:14 PM

I just wanted to say Thank You BikerGuy, I'm sure your job isn't easy, respect and appreciation for you.

These are just my thoughts and opinions and not in any way trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I'm only a year in on a long sentence for my LO, so I have a lot of time I observe people. I love to watch families interacting with their LO and the staff. It's heartwarming to know there are those if us who will never give up on our LO's and walk this path with them. We are all here because of the same thing, our LO's have chosen to break the rules of society. My question is why do so many feel the need to continue to break or argue the rules and policies of the prisons?

There are clear cut policies and rules in place for a reason. If you adhere to them, things will go a lot smoother. I listen to people complain all the time about the staff and rules while waiting to visit my LO. I don't understand why so much hostility and attitude toward people who are doing their jobs and enforcing policy. I maybe naive in thinking that dress codes are pretty standard across the board for all institutions. (Personally I don't want to see what you were blessed with). We go to visit our LO's, it's not fashion week. Cover up, it's not difficult. I get you want to look good for your LO, but are they going to spend your visit critiquing your attire? Research the dress code and bring a change of clothing with you just in case.

As far as complaints about losing visits because of inappropriate behavior. You're visiting a LO in prison because of their inappropriate conduct on the outs. If you choose to break visitation policies by your actions or by being inappropriate you are breaking rules that are in place for a reason, you deserve consequences. Being (sexually) inappropriate in a visitation area full of people is simply disrespectful, there are children at every visitation I've been to. They don't need to see that, nor do the rest of the visitors. It's called respect for yourself and others.

This is not the life any of us have choosen but it's the path we are are all on. It is up to each of us to make the decision to make the best of it, yes it is difficult. But we can make it better for ourselves and the others we come into contact with during this sentence we are 'serving'. Do I want to spend the next several years seeing my LO in a crowded room once a week, not being able to hug them but for a moment? Hell no, but the alternative isn't an option! My LO is in prison, I would rather visit them here, than any cemetery.

I can honestly say that the prison staff where my LO is housed has made my weekly visits a whole lot less stressful. I make sure to thank each and everyone I come into contact with, including the ones that have not been so kind to my LO. It is their job, they deal with enough attitudes from the inmate, they don't need it from the families too.

It is not their fault we are having to visit where they are employed, it doesn't take much to be polite and say something nice. A simple Thank you can mean the difference in how their day is going.

But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Zeus&BugsMom; 12-31-2018 at 01:22 PM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zeus&BugsMom For This Useful Post:
B00ne (01-16-2019), Halo527 (12-31-2018), KiwiPP (12-31-2018), Ms Sunny (12-31-2018), MsFish (01-03-2019), orchibu (02-22-2019), Scott (12-31-2018), She'sMyAngel (01-02-2019), sidewalker (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus&BugsMom View Post
My question is why do so many feel the need to continue to break or argue the rules and policies of the prisons?

There are clear cut policies and rules in place for a reason. If you adhere to them, things will go a lot smoother.
I am in full agreement with you that this job must be incredibly stressful and underappreciated at times.

But I would argue that the regulations in the facilities I have visited over the last six years are incredibly subjective and laced with interpersonal conflict. Let me state that I have not had an interaction with staff that was over the top or worth taking to a supervisor. I've never had a disagreement, so this is more an observation over time.

In our state, the governing book of regs is called Title 15. It has a generic outline of visiting rules including dresscode and conduct. Then each facility has a visiting sgt. who can implement rules as they deem necessary. The problem lies in that these individual rules are not widely posted, applied or static. Meaning one week I can wear a grey shirt and the next week I can't. But the next week another man goes in with a grey tee because CO thought it was OK. Title 15 states no tight clothing. "Tight" is subjective. A size 6 wearing skinny jeans might be told to change. A size 22 in slim-fit dress pants might not. This is where our frustration stems from in regard to dress code.

Conduct is a little more straight forward and yet I know my husband and I have been asked to separate space by COs over the years when we've been sitting as we always have with our hands in clear view. It was humiliating at first, but I've come to learn that each staff member has their interpretation of the rules and unless it's an abuse of power issue, just do as they ask and move on. There are visitors who choose to make a big deal about it and cause a scene. I personally think that just makes things worse and our loved ones run the risk of becoming whipping posts for folks behind the fence.

I'm glad your experience has been positive. I wish everyone could say that. I hope it stays that way over the stretch for you and your loved ones. Unfortunately, it's not that way everywhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Dymond3 (02-22-2019), Itshardtowait (03-14-2019), sidewalker (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 02:51 PM

Thanked 1,492 Times in 753 Posts

Last weekend when I visited my husband I wished the CO's in the Visiting room Happy Holidays, and thanked them for working with delayed pay and expressed my appreciation for that. THey could have just as easily called in sick, and visting although unlikely at this facility could've been cancelled. I know at other places they do that, especially on holidays. I am sure these guys would have rather been with their own families than see a bunch of prisoners visiting with their families on Christmas. I normally see my husband on Saturday - Monday, but my daughters birthdays were on the Saturday, so only because of Christmas was I able to instead go Sunday-Tuesday, so I appreciated that change and visiting him on Christmas for me was not about the holiday, but just the convenience, so I definitely appreciated these guys working.

And trust me, they are not at all thrilled to be working without getting their checks. Most of these guys are so low on the chain that they're living check to check. Yes, they'll get one big paycheck once they get paid, but in the interim they have nothing to live off of and if they have to go into their savings, they are losing the interest they can get on that savings, and for most they don't have savings and are just creating more debt for themselves which the gov't isn't going to help them out of.

Trump thinks the Federal workers are all dems? What a dumb comment. These are human beings.

Mimiac I agree with you also as far as the abuse of power issue. Some of them have nothing better to do. I think they're just bored sitting there all day because I have seen people not at all sitting that close together that they tell to move apart, then I see people all over one another or dressed inappropriately and they say nothing. No consistent policy. Last July when I visited, the CO's on the 4th of July didn't care that people had shorts on. They were the fillers for the holiday obviously and not the normal guys, but the lack of consistency is annoying. Only one more visit for me thank god and I"m done with that nonsense at least!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-31-2018), She'sMyAngel (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:28 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
I have seen people not at all sitting that close together that they tell to move apart
It's like we willed into being. Lol Holy cow, you guys-- we had vacation staff today on our yard. There were maybe 6-8 people in the room, all of us seasoned visitors doing exactly what we do every visit. About five mins into the visit with my husband, the CO screams at us from the front of the room-- "That stops now or I terminate your visit!" and he's looking straight at me. I was completely dumbfounded, first that he was looking at me and second that he felt the need to shout it across a relatively empty room. I didn't even know what to say because we weren't doing anything! So he continues, "Are we straight?" Well...
My husband tells him we can't hear him so that he would make my husband get up and go to him. That was hubs way of taking it down a notch because apparently this guy was happy to just keep yelling. It seems we were holding holds and our palms were "rubbing" together. I literally have no idea how to hold someone's hand without our palms touching and we are, and always have been, allowed to hold hands. He made a point of chastising every table at some point so at least we weren't alone. But I cannot imagine what a new visitor would feel like after being treated that way. I'm tough and chewy at this point, but when I first started visiting it would have sent me into tears. There was zero reason for him to behave that way and set the whole room on edge.

Happy New Year, dude.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-06-2019), sidewalker (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
It's like we willed into being. Lol Holy cow, you guys-- we had vacation staff today on our yard. There were maybe 6-8 people in the room, all of us seasoned visitors doing exactly what we do every visit. About five mins into the visit with my husband, the CO screams at us from the front of the room-- "That stops now or I terminate your visit!" and he's looking straight at me. I was completely dumbfounded, first that he was looking at me and second that he felt the need to shout it across a relatively empty room. I didn't even know what to say because we weren't doing anything! So he continues, "Are we straight?" Well...
My husband tells him we can't hear him so that he would make my husband get up and go to him. That was hubs way of taking it down a notch because apparently this guy was happy to just keep yelling. It seems we were holding holds and our palms were "rubbing" together. I literally have no idea how to hold someone's hand without our palms touching and we are, and always have been, allowed to hold hands. He made a point of chastising every table at some point so at least we weren't alone. But I cannot imagine what a new visitor would feel like after being treated that way. I'm tough and chewy at this point, but when I first started visiting it would have sent me into tears. There was zero reason for him to behave that way and set the whole room on edge.

Happy New Year, dude.
So dumb! Honestly, it has to be that they just want to mess with you because they have nothing better to do. Sitting there watching 8 couples just chat all day or hold hands, while they don't get the day off must seriously be like watching paint dry. The difference is that they're getting paid to do it!

I admit, visiting is somewhat boring. My husband and I don't touch any of the games or cards in there. God knows how many diseases they have. The playing cards are stuck together. I asked if I can donate some that I have at home. They said nope, have to go through the main office, etc. I asked could I buy and donate new games/cards and they said nope, not allowed. It's a shame because the place could use some new games. They have 1 tv there for kids to watch videos. It would be nice if they had a tv or two in there that they could at least have some sporting events or news on or showed movies. The chairs are uncomfortable. My husband and I have so much to go through and talk about every time and I always bring in a pad of paper and pen, etc. to take notes, but having some of this extra stuff would just break up the day. Also, visiting is just so draining. I leave, I sometimes go to a movie grab dinner and then am happy to go to my hotel room and not movie the rest of the night until I go back the next day lol. I also admit, I watch a lot of brainless tv. Lol. It's the only time I watch Lifetime. But it always seems to be some psycho guy killing chicks. Hah.

Anyway, these guys just have nothing better to do so they have to be a pain in your ass too. At least you got to visit with your husband. My husband told me how they had the best meal they've ever had since he's been there. Steak and chicken and rolls and some other stuff. I had to remind him that it's the first time I haven't been there for a major holiday, so maybe that's why he noticed that it was so good and when I visit he usually misses those meals. Although I just realized I didn't see him last year for NY or Xmas but that was his first month he was there so he probably was still adjusting and not thinking about the food.

At our place we hold hands and kiss and they never say anything. So stupid you can't just hold hands..and how hard is it to keep an eye on 8 people? What a joke!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Are mailrooms open on weekends? Are they 24/7 or do they keep pretty standard business hours?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS.PAL View Post
Are mailrooms open on weekends? Are they 24/7 or do they keep pretty standard business hours?
Where my husband is they don't even have "standard business hours". They use a PO Box and they only get the mail during the week, not on Saturday, hence the inmates don't get mail on Saturdays. Worse, when I send something 2 days priority, it doesn't even get there for 4 days! No point sending it priority! In fact, I sent something priority mail today, it should get there on Tuesday, but nope, the machine said it'll arrive on Thursday. Ridiculous.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Where my husband is they don't even have "standard business hours". They use a PO Box and they only get the mail during the week, not on Saturday, hence the inmates don't get mail on Saturdays. Worse, when I send something 2 days priority, it doesn't even get there for 4 days! No point sending it priority! In fact, I sent something priority mail today, it should get there on Tuesday, but nope, the machine said it'll arrive on Thursday. Ridiculous.

what a waste i mean i don't expect them to have the mailroom staffed 24/7 but argh.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I second this! I cannot tell you how many times I have seen families leave their wrappers or empty water/pop bottles on the little tables in the visiting room and I think wtf, that they're all too lazy to move their asses and clean up? To me it's not about leaving it for the orderlies or not, it's just common courtesy and manners. These guys/people are certainly not setting a good example for their own kids. I've even picked up others people's garbage when I've walked by because I've been so annoyed with it just sitting there. Not that I'm a neat freak, but seriously!! It takes 2 frickin' seconds to move your ass and toss it.

Fortunately in this VR kids are pretty well behaved so we don't have anyone running around wild, but the whole empty food wrapper thing just really ticks me off. Same with when they open the outside and they just leave them there. These few bad eggs are going to ultimately ruin it for everyone else - as they always do!!
Some were not taught to pick up after themselves and others don't give a **** ! They don't care and possibly Hope that they are making extra work for others. The "entitlement" generations are going to drag everybody down.

If I have an extra minute, I will pick up something that other's have left behind. Or, wipe down the bathroom counter with my paper towel, after I've dried my hands. It's probably not a good idea to do it in VR.

My LO likes everything neat, clean. LO said cellie is very messy. Said take messy over scary, anytime! Maybe LO will rub off on cellie.

Ecclesiastes 3:1
The Following User Says Thank You to B00ne For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-16-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Hello everyone,

If anyone is interested I am still open to taking any questions about life as a CO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
maytayah (02-22-2019), MsFish (02-26-2019), Scott (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

If anyone is interested I am still open to taking any questions about life as a CO.
I did a short stay (8 months) in an FSL. One question I'd like to ask you is for those of us who followed the rules and didn't cause problems for the COs, what might be the reason for some COs not enforcing some things?

One example that always did not make a lot of sense to me was the smoking and drugs that went on in the bathrooms right after the 4pm and 9:30pm counts.

Like clockwork, after the counts were done, the bathrooms would fill up with guys doing what they are not supposed to be doing and making it so that you couldn't use the bathroom or take a shower. I always wondered why the COs would not just (once in a while) come back to the area they just counted maybe 10 minutes later and clean this type of stuff up? They would have a field day with the amount of countraband going on after the count.

I guess the question is, (or maybe just my own feelings on it are this): Is it just a case of the COs not knowing (because I find it hard to believe they don't know what is happening and when its happening) or is it a case of the COs just not wanting to do the paperwork for 20+ guys getting caught all at once? (this is my personal opinion that they don't want to deal with the paperwork).

Or is it a case of they just don't care? The majority of it is the cigarette smoking, which on the "outside" is not illegal. But still, its not allowed inside and it seemed like at the facility I was at, the COs were very lax in enforcement. I suppose it starts with the top down. If the warden/lieutenants want it enforced it probably is.

Guess I am just wondering if its the same situation at your place and what you might think the reasons are? Although, like I said, I think I know the answer in that its just not worth the hassle to most COs with the paperwork.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:52 AM

It's a great question you bring up.

I understand where you are coming from and it is honestly two fold, on one side it might just be plain laziness on the part of the Officer and the other part might be selective enforcement.

We can't be everywhere at every time trying to enforce every infraction. Even if it is smoking and the drug use, we of course will enforce it if we come upon it (we are supposed to at least) We are supposed to vary our rounds throughout the unit, some guys do it others are like clockwork and inmates know that.

Another thing is Officer safety. If the rest of the Officers on duty are counting other units then response time might be longer and that is something that might be taken into consideration when inserting yourself into a situation.

Also with the selective enforcement portion, we are always understaffed and do we really want to flood the system with lower level cigarette infractions when there are more dangerous things to worry about like K2, cell phones, drugs, drones etc? Not saying processing cigarette infractions are wrong. But a CO will get a bad reputation with higher ups if he is submitting dozens of written infractions every day because it creates more work for others. Maybe the cigarette infraction slowed up a halfway house time. And all that work went by the way side...because of a cigarette?

But running 100 miles an hour up an down a unit enforcing everything under the sun for 8 hours and digging for every little thing will lead to burnout.

I hope that answered your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fockwulf View Post
I did a short stay (8 months) in an FSL. One question I'd like to ask you is for those of us who followed the rules and didn't cause problems for the COs, what might be the reason for some COs not enforcing some things?

One example that always did not make a lot of sense to me was the smoking and drugs that went on in the bathrooms right after the 4pm and 9:30pm counts.

Like clockwork, after the counts were done, the bathrooms would fill up with guys doing what they are not supposed to be doing and making it so that you couldn't use the bathroom or take a shower. I always wondered why the COs would not just (once in a while) come back to the area they just counted maybe 10 minutes later and clean this type of stuff up? They would have a field day with the amount of countraband going on after the count.

I guess the question is, (or maybe just my own feelings on it are this): Is it just a case of the COs not knowing (because I find it hard to believe they don't know what is happening and when its happening) or is it a case of the COs just not wanting to do the paperwork for 20+ guys getting caught all at once? (this is my personal opinion that they don't want to deal with the paperwork).

Or is it a case of they just don't care? The majority of it is the cigarette smoking, which on the "outside" is not illegal. But still, its not allowed inside and it seemed like at the facility I was at, the COs were very lax in enforcement. I suppose it starts with the top down. If the warden/lieutenants want it enforced it probably is.

Guess I am just wondering if its the same situation at your place and what you might think the reasons are? Although, like I said, I think I know the answer in that its just not worth the hassle to most COs with the paperwork.

Last edited by Bikerguy; 02-27-2019 at 11:58 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-27-2019), Scott (02-28-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I guess this is primarily reflective of my experience from visiting my LO. One thing I’ve noticed is how different the COs i encountered are from one instituiton to the next. In max security county jail I had some horrible experiences with cos there I won’t get into and understood from my LO they were not so nice(?)& (power trips) to the intimates there was a lot of violence there then from reception to the next place to fire camp they have progressively seemed nicer and more relaxed (?) This last time the co I spoke to when I visited was SO nice and laid back just like a nice guy i would meet on the street. My LO also expressed he had a positive relationship with them and they got on with the inmates, it seemed to work in the best way.. I wonder if this is because the inmates they oversee/have to deal with (no offense to anyone I just mean the level of violence gang stuff that goes on in different places etc) & their behavior? Or just the environment of that particular instituting overall? Hard to say. At one institution there were riots going on consistently on one yard but the COs were respectful and polite at least to the public. Glad there are some kind nice COs that seem more compassionate to inmates and visitors
The Following User Says Thank You to momof234 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 05:56 PM

While working SHU, if I smelled orange peel burning, I knew there was dope smoking. Question is: the guy is already on sanctions. Maybe he cut someone, maybe fight, maybe threw, maybe his MH levels are low. Maybe he’s got years of SHU time because he took a life inside, or maybe he’s decided to serve his time in SHU.
If he’s calm, if the unit is calm, they all chatting amongst themselves, throwing fishing lines, then my unit is at peace. And we are ALL safe. Each situation a CO faces is unique, and of course some COs are embarrassing to those who want a safe and tight environment, but most just want peace on the unit.
That’s not to say someone else can’t use toilet. No that’s not right, but each situation has its own complexity. Especially if it’s someone inside trying to explain the culture inside.
It is a different world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (03-03-2019), miamac (03-03-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 05:28 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,330 Posts

Just wanted to send a thank you to you guys as a group. --And believe me I never thought I would ever ever say anything close to this. It has been a process.

When my husband died in 2015 after 10 years in the same facility (my husband felt like he had raised up some of the newbie CO's- lol- even I knew almost everyone by name and rank), the CO who called me got choked up when he had to deliver the news.

In fact, my husband's buddies called their own families as soon as the phone was on and family members met me at the funeral home. The whole dorm was silent, administration was respectful, and there were so many staff that I just wanted to hug and thank personally for all they did as humans from behind the badge for my husband another human.
It wasn't always an easy bid and we (my husband and I) both butted heads with staff and admin but we came to respect each other and even shared some laughs and fun.

Hats off to you for a job that would eat me alive. May your hearts always remain pure.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
Billys_Lady (03-07-2019), choclgs (03-13-2019), fbopnomore (03-04-2019), LifeTraveler (03-04-2019), maytayah (03-04-2019), miamac (03-04-2019), Ms Sunny (03-04-2019), MsFish (03-12-2019), sidewalker (03-04-2019), Sloth70 (03-04-2019), trauma4us (03-12-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof234 View Post
I guess this is primarily reflective of my experience from visiting my LO. One thing Iíve noticed is how different the COs i encountered are from one instituiton to the next. In max security county jail I had some horrible experiences with cos there I wonít get into and understood from my LO they were not so nice(?)& (power trips) to the intimates there was a lot of violence there then from reception to the next place to fire camp they have progressively seemed nicer and more relaxed (?) This last time the co I spoke to when I visited was SO nice and laid back just like a nice guy i would meet on the street. My LO also expressed he had a positive relationship with them and they got on with the inmates, it seemed to work in the best way.. I wonder if this is because the inmates they oversee/have to deal with (no offense to anyone I just mean the level of violence gang stuff that goes on in different places etc) & their behavior? Or just the environment of that particular instituting overall? Hard to say. At one institution there were riots going on consistently on one yard but the COs were respectful and polite at least to the public. Glad there are some kind nice COs that seem more compassionate to inmates and visitors
Honestly it comes down to the level of the facility and the amount of violence that goes on. When there is stuff going on every day, people getting assaulted, stabbed, beat etc then CO's will tend to be more by the book and more stand offish and on edge. Anything can go off at any time. To some it might seem like a power trip, but it is also to protect themselves. Letting less things slide by the way side, enforcing more rules, mainly for safety. Every little thing can be a smoke screen for something else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (03-06-2019), MsFish (03-12-2019), sidewalker (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
While working SHU, if I smelled orange peel burning, I knew there was dope smoking. Question is: the guy is already on sanctions. Maybe he cut someone, maybe fight, maybe threw, maybe his MH levels are low. Maybe heís got years of SHU time because he took a life inside, or maybe heís decided to serve his time in SHU.
If heís calm, if the unit is calm, they all chatting amongst themselves, throwing fishing lines, then my unit is at peace. And we are ALL safe. Each situation a CO faces is unique, and of course some COs are embarrassing to those who want a safe and tight environment, but most just want peace on the unit.
Thatís not to say someone else canít use toilet. No thatís not right, but each situation has its own complexity. Especially if itís someone inside trying to explain the culture inside.
It is a different world.
Great post.

I honestly do not care that much if they are slinging fishing lines.

If I catch one...I catch one. But I am not going to go sneaking around corners in the hopes to step on one. Are they supposed to do it? No, but you know what, I rather them sling lines then bang on the doors all day and night long raising hell, covering their windows, throwing....stuff.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-10-2019), kellydavid410 (Today), LifeTraveler (03-10-2019), maytayah (03-06-2019), Ms Sunny (03-06-2019), Sarianna (03-06-2019), sidewalker (03-07-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 01:30 PM

Hi,

Not sure if you’re still answering questions.. but what normally happens to guys who are in minimal security caught with cigarettes?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 AM

My son has been in a state minimum security, STG-free prison for >5 years now. We (Mom and Dad) visit at least 3-5 times/month and at least once/month we bring our grandson who is now 12. The CO's are very respectful and kind. I have had cancer since our son was incarcerated and had a major operation. While I was off work I went to visit our son and the 110 mile trip just about wore me out. I was not feeling too good after the drive. However, the CO was so very kind, the pat-down was brief and she was so kind. Throughout this entire ordeal everyone has been at least respectful. I know that not all the CO's are at the visiting desk or visiting room and our son doesn't tell us everything but for the most part he says the CO's are "pretty decent." He is not a troublemaker, goes to school full time and stays on his bunk. However, he recently received a ticket for going to the hallway to pass gas as he is in a dorm setting and that is the polite way of doing things. Ugh!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
Bikerguy (03-13-2019), choclgs (03-13-2019), fbopnomore (03-12-2019), Ms Sunny (03-12-2019), MsFish (03-12-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abjnj123 View Post
Hi,

Not sure if youíre still answering questions.. but what normally happens to guys who are in minimal security caught with cigarettes?

Thanks in advance
They are supposed to be written up with an infraction. Usually its not a big deal and they might lose phones and or email or visiting for anywhere from 30-90 days.

Every spot is different, but that is how we handle it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-13-2019), sidewalker (03-14-2019)