Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > ELMIRA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

ELMIRA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons located in the ELMIRA HUB - Butler, Auburn, Five Points, Cayuga, Willard, Monterey, Elmira, Southport.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:27 PM

Question Shock Camp/Elmira..

hey everyone! I'm kindof new to the site, was just searching for some answers and sort of stumbled here...My boyfriend was just sentenced to 3 years Prison with the eligibility of Shock...does anyone know how/what it's like at Shock Camp and how hard it is to get into? I know I have to be realistic and 3 yrs may be what happens, but I need something to hope for since I'm raising our two babies (2 1/2yrs & 15 months) out here by myself. He's still in the county jail awaiting to be transferred, sounds like he'll go to Elmira and from there it will be determined if he's eligible for Shock. Also, I was researching online and I noticed that Elmira is a maximum security prison, is it anything like they show on tv with the lockup raw shows or how it is depicted in movies? My mans no punk but just for peace of mind I'd like to know because I don't need him to get into any kind of trouble and further jeopardizing his freedom
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,203 Times in 2,988 Posts

you need to head to the NY Forum-most of your andswers are there on Elmira (Reception and Processing) and shock eligibility requirements. Eligibility for Shock and acceptance into shock are different. DOCS decides who gets into shock. Here is a link to NY State forum::

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following User Says Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
mnj8779 (09-08-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 AM

In response to your questions about Max prisons, at least in NY State they are nothing like what is portrayed on TV. Those programs show the worst of circumstances and people all for the shock value, and actually is what keeps them on TV.

Elmira Reception is very restrictive as to freedom of movement and many go to a Medium facility after Reception.
atticwriter (10-30-2010), mnj8779 (09-08-2010)
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info! I figured it would be an exaggeration just hard to know what to expect. This is a great site for helping to understand the system, there doesn't seem to be a lot of help or resources for families available elsewhere so definitely thanks again
Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 AM

I was in Montery Shock . Its very hard program . they break you down and do so called building you back up . If you want to get out in six months then you will do it buh its a lot of bullshit to deal with . you sit in lakeview shock thats like reception for shock until they find you a platoon now myself i stayed there for a weeks buh some ppl where there for months . And elmira reception is alright its not like a episode of lock up raw . i mean general ppoulation is alot different buh thats not even as bad . In shock its just like the army . you shine your boots iron your uniforms and they have to be perfect . You do PT every morning and u run for miles . You do ASAT and transitional services umm you work all day slaving away for nothing . Theres no TV ... NO packages none of the luxuries of a reg prison . phone calls are on sundays and its every other week . anything else you would like to know just ask
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevie7987 For This Useful Post:
hedgehog 2112 (09-28-2010), mnj8779 (10-25-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie7987 View Post
I was in Montery Shock . Its very hard program . they break you down and do so called building you back up . If you want to get out in six months then you will do it buh its a lot of bullshit to deal with . you sit in lakeview shock thats like reception for shock until they find you a platoon now myself i stayed there for a weeks buh some ppl where there for months . And elmira reception is alright its not like a episode of lock up raw . i mean general ppoulation is alot different buh thats not even as bad . In shock its just like the army . you shine your boots iron your uniforms and they have to be perfect . You do PT every morning and u run for miles . You do ASAT and transitional services umm you work all day slaving away for nothing . Theres no TV ... NO packages none of the luxuries of a reg prison . phone calls are on sundays and its every other week . anything else you would like to know just ask
My now ex was in Shock years ago. He ended up becoming platoon leader. The phone calls Are every other week. Either Saturday Or Sunday, each platoon has an assigned day & the calls are Only for 10 minutes. The weekend day with no calls is a visit day. They keep them busy All day so by the time they go to bed they're Ready to go to sleep. I went to the graduation & Momma Shock was there, it was cool to see them doing their cadences & stuff. If you go to the graduation you can take them home after that. It's a 6 month program & they Can get recycled (make them do the program All Over again) or kicked out at Any time if they don't follow even the Tiniest little rule. Like at the end, someone Almost got recycled After graduation because he didn't turn in the rule book. It's Not an easy program & they scream in their faces, if someone Can't handle that then they Shouldn't do Shock. They have to have a Strong will to successfully complete the program.

Good Luck to him & Take Care of Yourself & Your Little Ones,

Sindarla

Last edited by Sindarla; 09-28-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Default Shock

Your comments are helpful. Thank you. My son was charged with a violent felony so is not shock eligible. We are hoping that since there was no violence involved and he has no past criminal charges, that he will get a violent felony override. If he does, he wants to go to Shock. Would you say that someone who has been in intensive inpatient rehab for 9 months (he's there now) and who is in a strong recovery state of mind, would be okay in Shock? He's at a rehab now that is much like a TC. Ridiculously strict and punitive. Good training maybe for Shock? If you follow their rules, are you okay? Getting out in 6 months seems to be worth the pain of Shock. More information is welcomed. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie7987 View Post
Old 10-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,203 Times in 2,988 Posts

It is hard to say if he will get shock. Normally, VFOs are given so someone can be eligible for Work Release(after a few years of incarceration)-not for Shock. They are considering more people for Shock-so he might be considered. Hard to say if they would accept him. He will not get a VFO before he is sent to Shock for consideration. And VFOs, as I stated elsewhere, are rarely given, period.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."