Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > PTO News, Information & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO News, Information & Events What's new, and what is coming to our web community. Administrative notices and information.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Triscuiter Extraordinaire

OMG! Sokigirl also did this same thing on Myspace!! I did not even know she was here!

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Odd Mushroom For This Useful Post:
cat805 (11-03-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Sadly missed PTO Warrior
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,322 Posts

I have seen different people that seem to be addicted to causing drama in their lives and basically reaching out to get attention from any avenue they can. I did not know this member personally, But in other forums I have seen this happen. it is so hard to know who is telling the truth and who is not from a computer screen. I am glad that PTO has such dedicated members and staff to take care of stuff like this and make PTO a safe haven for all.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Missing My Baby

Lysbeth posted:

My guess is that most of the drama she's posted about under any of her numerous names was real but maybe happened long before she ever came to PTO four years ago.

It's all sad and really just too bad she couldn't have just been herself and kept it real and posted some of the good information and advice she often did without all this other mess.

She's had a lot of tragic things happen in a short amount of time if this is the case at 19 even if you divide her stories by 4! I think the whole situation is sad...sad for her, sad for us and sad for the entire PTO forum IMO. I am going through a lot of medical issues with my son right now; things are just coming at us one after another and while I know I would get the support I so desperately need today I am hesitant to even ask for it because I don't want to be seen in the same light or even give the Mods a reason to wonder, you know? I know I am not the only one who feels this way.

It's nothing to joke about and please know I am NOT making light of this mess but she has a heck of a mind and had she slapped any or all of her tales between 2 covers she'd have been on the front of People Magazine holding her best seller. This is not the mind of a 19 year old. I am so blown away and for some unexplained reason I feel used . Marcia
Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,522 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo's Lady... View Post
I am so blown away and for some unexplained reason I feel used

I think we all do whenever this type thing happens. I didn't have much interaction with her personally as she came to PTO as "sokiegirl" during my long leave of absence, but I did have some interaction with her for a brief time not long ago.

Some of her login information had already become a little suspect at that point (which was why we were having the discussion) but just like everyone else, I fell hook line & sinker for her "personality" and wanted to believe, like everyone else, that she was for real and what she portrayed herself as, and at that point ruled out any suspicious activity (for the record, it really had nothing to do with this situation - when this information in this thread got brought to light, that was a brand new thing).

I also didn't have much interaction with her as "Okie/Sam" tho a little when she was being "Sam", but I also witnessed a lot of our PTO staff members who were closer to her and did have a lot of interaction with her getting their "heartstrings" pulled and other such... and then of course witnessed the pain and anger and sorrow when the hoax was uncovered before (and again now) among those colleagues.

So basically when something like this happens, it really and truly does affect ALL of PTO, including those who didn't necessarily know or have interaction with the person.

And sadly it affects PTO further by creating a sense of mistrust and suspicion among the membership as a whole - as in how do you know if anyone is being honest when something like this happens, which is understandable.

I think the majority of PTO members ARE upright and honest and would never do anything like this, but unfortunately there are bad apples in any society, including ours. We try our best to weed the bad apples, those who are dishonest, and those who can't seem to bring themselves to follow what are pretty simple and clear rules here, out.

But as someone whose primary purpose here is to see that this place remains a safe haven for everyone, it really makes me angry when someone pulls a stunt like this that winds up affecting everyone and PTO as a whole, even those who are not directly affected.

It's sad. It's just sad. Here's to better days ahead, though.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lysbeth For This Useful Post:
California Sunshine (11-03-2008), David (01-02-2009), Lonzo's Lady... (11-03-2008), Missing Someone (11-03-2008), PTO-92958 (11-03-2008)
Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo's Lady... View Post
I am going through a lot of medical issues with my son right now; things are just coming at us one after another and while I know I would get the support I so desperately need today I am hesitant to even ask for it because I don't want to be seen in the same light or even give the Mods a reason to wonder, you know? I know I am not the only one who feels this way.

Here's the thing - it's the www - there are always going to be people like this. Although I have only been on here just over a year, this is the first time I have seen it posted like this - even though it obviously has happened before - it was taken care of - shame it had to come back again. But if we all stop posting for support because we feel we might be seen in the same light, or people might not believe us then they, in some sick way win. (Even though there really aren't any winners here).

Don't stop posting about your son or looking for support because that is what this board is all about, it is why it was created - a few bad apples don't always spoil the whole bunch and for the most part, there are some truly wonderful and caring people on here who are more than willing to continue offering their support and great advice even when something like this happens.

Am I a little ticked, sure - I cried some tears for that girl but even though she's gone, unfortunately my prison worries aren't (at least for another 3 1/2 months anyway). I have learned more here than I ever would have just surfing the net. It's not always applicable because I am in Canada but the support alone has been lifesaving. I for one am not letting 1 person (or a few) take that away from me.

I truly hope your medical issues are resolved quickly!

He's home
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missing Someone For This Useful Post:
David (01-02-2009), Lonzo's Lady... (11-03-2008), Lysbeth (11-05-2008), NtShadow (11-05-2008)
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Considers the source...

Oh, duh..I get it... Sam/Okie=Sokie... letting you know she's one in the same person, hmm
She's obviously in serious need of help...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysbeth View Post
I also didn't have much interaction with her as "Okie/Sam" tho a little when she was being "Sam", but I also witnessed a lot of our PTO staff members who were closer to her and did have a lot of interaction with her getting their "heartstrings" pulled and other such... and then of course witnessed the pain and anger and sorrow when the hoax was uncovered before (and again now) among those colleagues.
One of the mods that I thought of while reading this is Nimuay...from what I could see, she helped her ALOT...I'm not sure how I'd feel
Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Thanked 1,081 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy tyler View Post
I am blown away..It did seem she had packed a lot of life into 19 years.
I agree. When I read a lot of her posts, I thought to myself "I don't think she's being sincerely honest." I'm sorry to say that but I picked it up after a while. Many people go through many obstacles in such a short amount of time, but I just had a feeling she was lying about a lot of stuff. Sad to hear my private thoughts were right. Like someone else in this thread said, you know something doesn't add up but just leave it alone. Sad.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Crazy never felt so good

We should have known she was a liar when she said she ran 5 miles a day lol. No one runs that much

It's crazy though for real. Wow.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
We should have known she was a liar when she said she ran 5 miles a day lol. No one runs that much
Thanks Jordan's for the humor.....I needed that.....I fell for it...I interacted with Sokie regularly and am blown away that she was not the woman she portrayed herself to be....Many of us poured a lot of energy into helping her help herself...good eye moderators....another internet lesson learned.....~Cat

Never be bullied into silence
Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself..
Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanked 1,081 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordans_mommy View Post

It's crazy though for real. Wow.
right!!! lmao!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
luvd by him no matter wut

ugh scary!!! thanx for watching out for us ..

VERY PROUD PARENTS OF ALICE & KATIE !

for the time yet to come!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitin4BlueEyes View Post
I tend to be a bit skeptical of people that have "too much" drama in their lives

Ditto.

Thanks to the staff for dealing with it.

Last edited by Janey; 11-04-2008 at 06:07 AM..
Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,693 Times in 10,099 Posts

RAG, I'm fine - we've had questions for a while about sokie, and I gently backed off a long time ago. It wash still worth putting info out, responding to all the hurt, because regardless of the truth of her particular story, so many of us have lived at least parts of the same plot-line, and for those who read, there are still good answers there. And there are still people just reading, not joining or posting, who can get help from the kindness and caring shown by everyone in that forum.

Thanks for thinking of me.
ChicosgrrlinCO (11-04-2008), David (01-02-2009), Free Again (11-04-2008), Lysbeth (11-05-2008), orchidia_168 (11-04-2008), RAG4LIFE (11-04-2008), wendy tyler (11-04-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Wow...isn't there enough real pain in life without having to make it up?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM

Thanked 5,986 Times in 2,051 Posts

I have to be honest Nim, you were the first I thought of when this post came out. Whoever she is, she did indeed put out some helpful info. with her D/V shelter volunteer stories. There is no doubt, that in her crisis, whatever that may be, she did help others. She had told us on the Parents with Children in Prison forum, that she had recently been institutionized for mental health issues. That in itself was a huge cry for help......I feel sorry for her, I really do.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 AM
gone :)

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner 

Thanked 1,997 Times in 1,325 Posts

actually,even if she was fake i owe sokiegirl a thank you. until recently i was still living on the edge(since our case went before a judge),because of the type of people i was involved with,which include my ex husband,i lived in fear for....some time. then i did read some of her posts, i seeked help too, and i thought wth! if she can do it,make it though,why not me? first i felt very and stupid after it was found out she was not exactly who she pretended to be,but i agree with nim,some of her posts could helpother people in need.

ex wife of an inmate
mother of an ex jail addict
devoted friend
faithful pen pal
AWARD WINNER for best job done and dedication 2010-2011
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Donation Award 

You know what?, I thought I was OK about this. I'M NOT!!!. I'm furious and hurt, I feel stupid that I didn't listen to my own instincts about Sokie. I have been looking back at my old messages, MISTAKE!!!!!. MIGHTY SOKIE MY A**. My chest feels tight and I have a lump in my throat, She called me a Jackass for NO reason - in the forum - on my thread, I was not invading her space and showed nothing but support to this LIAR. She consistently acted all superior on the thread about the verbal versus physical thread. If nothing else, then the fact that she could not seem to tolerate anyone feeling that what has been done to their heads and hearts could compare to her scars should have been a heads up. Why oh why do I NOT LEARN to listen to myself?????. I'm sorry, I know I've been a little harsh, but darn darn darn I am soooooo P'd off. I APPOLOGISED TO HER WHEN SHE INSULTED ME FOR NO APPARENT REASON. How many family members is she going to kill off??. Her mother how many times 2 or 3?, her baby, her uncle. I know I sound insensitive and offensive and I'm sorry for that but AAAAHHHHH..........
Old 11-04-2008, 10:11 PM
replanted cheesehead

Lotta liers in this world as I've been finding out recently. I'm pissed too. Makes you wonder who's real and who isn't.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Donation Award 

It is a shame but it's happened before and it will happen again. It's sad but this person and this kind of person is sick and in need of help but not at the expense of PTO. Keep the faith fellow PTO'ers
Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 PM

Nim you and LeBeau were the first people I thought about when I read this....I was so touched by your honest and informed responses to Sokie. Also your empathy and compassion. It is just sad....I really thought about her and checked in regularly to see how she was...It is so hard to believe it wasn't on the real....I can't imagine how you two must feel....I learned a lot from your posts....I know you cared and gave from your heart....thanks for being here for those of us who have truly been lost and needed the guidance of those that had been down this path before us....many thanks....~Cat

Never be bullied into silence
Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself..
The Following User Says Thank You to cat805 For This Useful Post:
PTO-92958 (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG4LIFE View Post
Oh, duh..I get it... Sam/Okie=Sokie... letting you know she's one in the same person, hmm
Yeah... that was definitely one of those duh/smack in the head moments for me too. There were several pieces of information to investigate but the first one turned up her (and only her) name and account of Sokiegirl.

Then much later when one single piece of information ONLY turned up the Okie name and account and there it was, sOKIEgirl, clear as day... definitely one of those pound your head on the desk moments.

Honestly I think everyone (including me) just wanted so badly to believe she was for real that it distracted us all from most things that should have otherwise been suspicious or turned on at least a little warning bell.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Someone View Post
Here's the thing - it's the www - there are always going to be people like this. Although I have only been on here just over a year, this is the first time I have seen it posted like this - even though it obviously has happened before - it was taken care of - shame it had to come back again. But if we all stop posting for support because we feel we might be seen in the same light, or people might not believe us then they, in some sick way win. (Even though there really aren't any winners here).

Don't stop posting about your son or looking for support because that is what this board is all about, it is why it was created - a few bad apples don't always spoil the whole bunch and for the most part, there are some truly wonderful and caring people on here who are more than willing to continue offering their support and great advice even when something like this happens.

Thank you for posting this. I couldn't have said it any better myself, this was perfect.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Missing My Baby

I just want to thank Nim, Lysbeth, Fed-X and the other Moderators for sharing this info and allowing us to vent, hear and support each other. That was so important to me and meant more than just banning and speculating would have done. Another poster whose name eludes me at the moment (sorry but it is early and I am waiting still on Mr. Coffee to finish huffing and puffing ) said that I shouldn't stop posting and seeking support in dealing with my sons health issues or Sokie would win, and while it took a moment to sink in, she's right, so I won't stop. "Free Again" is angry as she should be but she doesn't have to suffer in silence and for that I'm thankful. "Free" you put a name on my feelings about all of this and when I thought about 'Sokie' this morning I said F/U out loud and instantly felt better! (Of course my son ran from the room but oh well. ) There are so many posts in this thread that say how much 'Sokie' helped THEM in spite of the lies and drama, and I will openly admit her written prayer was very inspirational to me.
While we may never know what her motivites and true story was when you examine all of this she actually did help some of us and if nothing else she gave all of us a reason to come together here, share and support each other TODAY. It also provided me with the reassurence that the PTO staff members are on their toes and doing all they can to keep this community safe. I am sure that there are others out there like 'Sokie' who are being less than honest and maybe, just maybe, the fear of being exposed will prevent them from attempting to exploit us the way she did.
My point is that today I have begun to see the silver lining in all of this. 'Sokie' may have won this round but she did not win this war. I feel in my heart that she is probably somewhere lurking and reading and thinking of a new persona and story she can come back with. If this is true I just want to say I pray that you seek and get the help you need someday. 'Sokie' you touched a lot of folks, some more than others, but in the end you've actually made ALL of us closer, stronger and a whole lot wiser and more observant.
OK PTO'ers...thats my vent for today; for letting me! Marcia

Last edited by Lonzo's Lady...; 11-05-2008 at 08:45 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonzo's Lady... For This Useful Post:
Free Again (11-05-2008), Missing Someone (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM

I have a question that is bothering me since reading about this...

you mentioned one person - norma - that supposedly had died. sometime back there was a mom... she had a son in prison... her avatar I think was a horse. I think her name was norma. she supposedly went into hospital with something and died - we all sent letters of condolence to her son...

this isnt the same person is it ?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 7,103 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl1 View Post
I have a question that is bothering me since reading about this...

you mentioned one person - norma - that supposedly had died. sometime back there was a mom... she had a son in prison... her avatar I think was a horse. I think her name was norma. she supposedly went into hospital with something and died - we all sent letters of condolence to her son...

this isnt the same person is it ?
D'Gal I remember her, JaysMom. OMG I really hope this is not the same person. Please tell me it isn't.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...buckaroosangel