Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > PTO News, Information & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO News, Information & Events What's new, and what is coming to our web community. Administrative notices and information.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:22 AM
Banned

i am a new member so i may not have much say so in everything but i will speak my opinion rather it be right or wrong it is how i feel.being a new member i have came to enjoy this site.it has given me alot of answers to my questions and i have found the support i need.as for the rep power thing, i do not agree with.i feel it will be hurting peoples feelings if they see one has 20 rep points and they only have 1 they will feel not as valuable as another member when really we are all in the same boat.what if someone gets a bad rep vote how do you think that will make them feel..in our own families do we love lets say a brother better because his reputation is better then that of lets say a sister?or do we pick our friends because hey this ones got more reputation then the other.no we choose our friends by the way they treat us not by how much reputation they have.if i chose people by there reputation then i never would have even thought about dating much less marrying my husband for his reputation was lets just say if we went by numbers his would have been in the negative.but i have found out that his reputation is not what he really is like on the inside.it is just what others view him as.it is a way of judging people.for me i think this is a very bad idea and will end up hurting peoples feelings.i for one have very tough skin and dont care what others think my rep is as long as i like myself that is all that matters.but there are people that have very thin skin who will be hurt and may even be discouraged to join a site that has rep points in fear nobody will like them if they have 0 points.like i said this is just my opinion and i do like this site just hope the rep point thing doesnt stop people from joining and finding the support and help i have here
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Banned

what also happens when someone gets a bad vote i accidently voted on one and meant to put agree but it hit disagree
Old 07-30-2006, 07:31 AM
one lucky woman

I agree with everybody who says any popularity contest aspect or competitive stuff is really not needed. However beyond that I know nothing about it.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 07-30-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility
JenG, I can see what you mean. When I first posted on this thread a while back, I was only thinking of everything in theory. However when put into practice this could quite easily cause a lot of problems. Because as 2Lovebirds has said, PTO is a support site - Not a popularity contest. The whole reputation thing is making me somewhat skeptical now. But then again, who am I to comment?

- Ben.
I was very curious about these little green dots as well. I personally agree with these three writers. I do not have anything against to this reputation-system, but I just can’t see the POINT yet Does it serve PTO’s purpose and value as a meaningful support site? I assume we are here to support one another, not to disapprove? Even we share something in common we all have of course differing opinions in some matters, but still we should try to respect each other here?!?

I do not personally care about my own reputation points, because I do stand behind my words anyway, but yes it may mean friend boosting and foul play. So if this is to stay I think it would be fair for users to at least see the comments they've "earned". Or can we do it already!? Maybe I just cannot use this, *lol*.

I am just trying to figure out this system and can't see it's wide meaning yet, but feel free to enlighten me.

Last edited by angry_ram; 07-30-2006 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-30-2006, 08:27 AM

If this is what I think it is than I don't think it is a good idea.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haswtch
I agree with everybody who says any popularity contest aspect or competitive stuff is really not needed. However beyond that I know nothing about it.

I agree with this. It can be positive for some people, as my first impression was that it might stop the deliberate acts of some to stir up bad feelings on purpose (and we've had a few do that lately).

However, as with everything else in the world, it no doubt will be abused by the handful who have grudges, or if they don't like someone's point of view. Plus pals giving pals positives to boost each other ...it might turn PTO into a competitve "game". I would be sorry for that, since I come here for support and information.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:22 AM
MrsT
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,763 Times in 868 Posts

I don't believe I like the rep power either. This site is my comfort zone -- with others here in close to the same situation. Then to have it boil down to "points" and wondering why so-and-so has more than... please get rid of it.

I speak my opinion, and points don't mean much to me either, but when someone gives me ... uh, whatever... curiosity does peak. Kinda makes one lose focus on PTO being here in the first place.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed-X
Nobody has done anything wrong or right.
hmmmmm.....LOL I just read this again and was wondering is it good or bad that nobody has done anything wrong or right? OMG it's too early and I need more coffee. Not sure why but this struck me funny. (uh oh there goes my rep power right? LOL)
We love ya David......
Old 07-30-2006, 10:03 AM
i love my adam so much

lost confused a little of both i have 2 and i dont know what i did to get them hmmmmmmm......... maybe its just too early.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Fairy Fed Mother

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,393 Posts

Did Fed-X even say it was about voting someones reputation good or bad? I believe he said he is testing it and didn't say what consistutes someones rep points. My first thought was that it was based on how long you have been a member and how many posts you have made. Not if someone likes you or not.

GO BULLS!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 AM

Just my 2cents, but we do this in school to try to control the kid's behaviors, so I'm not exactly a hugh fan. We'll just have to wait and see..............Hope it doensn't turn into a popularity contest.
Suzanne

Old 07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmcgrl23
My first thought was that it was based on how long you have been a member and how many posts you have made. Not if someone likes you or not.
I feel I have to disagree; if you click on the icon, you can disagree/agree with a person's post and add a comment. What would be the point if it was just based on how long you are a member and how many posts?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,606 Times in 1,554 Posts

We talked about this system a long time ago and decided against using it. I'm really just looking at what features are included with it, etc, right now. Chances are we won't use it. I was mostly curious how it interacts with the length of time people are members and how active they are posting. I'm definitely against any popularity contests here.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Closed

Well while the function is there I guess let's just see how it goes.

In the upper right hand corner of each post, there is a number. Next to it there's a scale (add to reputation) and then a red and white triangle to report bad post.

So I'm guessing the rep power is a result of the add to reputation button (the scale) you can approve or disapprove of posts and add comments.
I'd love to read the comments.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Ghetto Boo

so disapproving of a post (( am I understanding ??)) will get clicked & isnt that againts the sopprt rules ? if ya don't agree move on ??

Old 07-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Donation Award 

i would like to say that with all the ups and downs we have with our loved ones already, that we sometimes make snap comments, but usually fix things inside the threads, with each other. but im not sure how this works if you can go back and change when you add to a rep. when you might be having a down day and place something you change your mind about.

plus, i dont really need the extra stress here, i come here to relieve the stress. hope it works out to the positive, thats all.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:17 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,146 Times in 714 Posts

i agree with michela. if it means what i think it means, then i think it will add alot of negativity that is unneccesary to PTO. someone may see a person with a 10 rep and think they are a better person than someone with a 0 rep...it's confusing...so maybe if i understood it better i would see the benefit of it.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Home since 9/29/05! Yes!!

It could be positive although it hard to tell. I am on a few other boards, and it has turned into a bad thing, quite a few times. It is used for hatred, to insult others, etc. So, we shall see.

Jess
Old 07-30-2006, 02:08 PM

I just can't see where this will enhance PTO at all. I can definitely see it turning into a negative thing. Also turning competitive or possibly cliquish.

I can see why this is being kicked around after the latest negativity on the boards, however, if this is what motivated this latest feature, I can see where it might also serve to keep many from feeling free to post at all.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

I do realize that there are grudges and personal differences. I would like to hope, (I have been so wrong on issues before) that members would not use this that way. I know....it will and there are many that differ with my opinions. We can't all agree all the time and disagreements are cool as long as it's kept in perspective and not hot tempered bashing. Yes, we can all agree to disagree....we just need to keep our wits about us. As far as the rep...well if someone doesn't like what I say, I'm ok with that and if they want to disagree with my post, I am ok with that too. Yes, I have had my feelings hurt on here many times but I just move on. Life is way too short as we all know for the childish games. There aren't that many on here out of 81,000+ members. The ones that do play the games are usually caught right away and sanctioned one way or another. We have a wonderful admin staff and they don't put up with it.
Don't let the rep thing keep you from posting. If you have an opinion different from someone else's that's ok. Just use caution when replying....pretty simple but at times pretty difficult.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:08 PM

Seems like a popularity contest in the making-hope no one is hurt or offended by this sort of thing. It seems pretty comfortable on here right now. Not much stress going on.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:23 PM
loving my caged bird

I personally value everyone's opinion even if it might be
completely opposite from mine. I am not a good debater but
I am excellent at supporting anyone and everyone who needs
it. This site has been one of 2 sites/forums that has literally
kept me going through such a difficult twist in mine and his
life. "ITRW" (in the real world) if I was to openly talk about
my husband being in prison and that I love him and support
him, my "popularity" (reputation) would immediatley go into the
negatives, of this I am certain. I would probably lose my job
and my residence. I would be ridiculed and maybe attacked. So
PTO is a SAFE place for us to come and as long as we are respectful
to others, what does it matter if they agree with us
or not or think we write brilliant posts or are uneducated~~~~
do I losepoints because I didn't finish high school?

I feel everything in life we do is an opportunity for us to
learn and that includes how to be respectful of ALL people.

QQin4mebooso disapproving of a post (( am I understanding ??)) will get clicked & isnt that againts the sopprt rules ? if ya don't agree move on ??

I think that says it all!

Love is patient, love is kind. Love never fails.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:32 PM

I am just going to pretend it isn't there at all. That way I will not be worrying about it. Lol
Old 07-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookieworm2000
I am just going to pretend it isn't there at all. That way I will not be worrying about it. Lol
Old 07-30-2006, 05:11 PM

I've seen this on another board I used to go to... I liked it. Some didn't.

You had positive points and negative points. And you get to certain "levels" and get a new green box. After 5 green boxes, you get a lighter colour one, which takes more points to get.

Some people had a red box, because their "negatives" outweighed the positives. You can also leave a comment with the points you're giving.

FedX has the choice of making it so we can see who left the points or not. If not, you can always sign your name in the comments section.

I like the idea ... It's fun. I used to tell Hubby, "HONEY! I GOT A NEW GREEN BOX!"

Edit: Also, forgot to say ... FedX has the option of not letting you give the same people positive points over and over. If you try, you get a box that basically tells you to "spread the love" before giving that person more points.

Second Edit: Also, forgot to say ... If you have the User visible (other words, the person giving points is not anonymous), there are very few peope who give negative rep points. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by JailByrde; 07-30-2006 at 05:17 PM..
Closed Thread