Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > PTO News, Information & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO News, Information & Events What's new, and what is coming to our web community. Administrative notices and information.

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,012 Times in 7,140 Posts

I have seen some amazing artwork come out of our prisons....Maybe a calender, or (later on,even a book) of prisoner art could raise some funds?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Satisfied

Honestly, I feel hesitant to make it a mandatory membership fee. Mostly because of what it might say to those who are in their *trial* membership. After it expires, they may not have hit that point of HAVING to have PTO! It might also encourage folks to keep re-registering with different names to get around the membership fee. Even if it is a small fee. I don't have a problem sending a few bucks in now, but at the beginning, I dunno if I would have or not. I also worry about the work that will go into tracking all of that and locking out those whose memberships expire and who will remind those who have to make their annual/quarterly/monthly (or whatever) payment.

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but I had to throw it out there.

And auctions on e-bay or somewhere similar would not only bring in $$ from members, but from those outside of PTO. And it might get us a bit more publicity.

Local fundraisers would work well too, methinks. Just gotta get the ball rolling.

Jenn
Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becmarie
FYI I did donate the other day though Pay Pal and I got an error message from Pay Pal saying that the e-mail address to inform PTO that I just donated was no longer valid so Im not sure if you got my donation or not.
You probably should PM Slainte or Lysbeth so they are aware and can check that out.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I feel hesitant to make it a mandatory membership fee. Mostly because of what it might say to those who are in their *trial* membership. After it expires, they may not have hit that point of HAVING to have PTO! It might also encourage folks to keep re-registering with different names to get around the membership fee.
I didn't think of that. Maybe donations would be a better idea. I know there aren't 40,000+ active members here. When I first joined, the name I registered w/ did not go through, so I had to pick this one and then everything went through fine. I'm sure there may be others that have experienced this. ??
Is there a way to go through the member lists and delete the inactive accounts, except for those that 'went in' and will be back to join us at a later date? I could help w/ that if it's decided.
I agree with the siggy thing too and game rooms, at least until we can come up w/ a solution. I know we all like to express ourselves either through countdown dates and/or photos, but hopefully it would only be a temporary thing. I would miss it also cuz I love having my missing friends photo up so others can see it and maybe recognize her, but I can go w/out it for a while.
DSL is slow for you guys?? Imagine having dialup!!! It's not too bad right now, but I'm sure it will keep getting slower and slower....
Old 05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Till It's Over

i think that the ones that have a account and the only day they was on is the day they joined like from 2-3 years ago the accounts should be deleted for more room
Old 05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,606 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay
Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to know how much (ballpark) we're talking about here. Different amounts require different approaches.
Last time this problem came up, david asked for donations, and I know what I sent. It worked fine then. So are we talking about $100 a month, $2,000 or what? I'm completely ignorant about the cost of a "dual server" system.
And since most of the users of this site are women, how about memorial bracelets or necklaces - could have the prisoner's name, could be leather, silver, plastic, whatever.
Aproximately $750 per month for the system that we need plus the up front (one time) cost of the migration to the new servers & setup, custom configuration such as additional RAM, etc.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie
For now,how about taking off ALL graphic's and siggy's to lihghten up the server load and maybe get rid of some of the forums that don't pertain to prison.
Honestly, the server load does not have a whole lot to do with the graphics. Yes, they do add to it but what creates the loads are Searching and database intensive processes. We have a TON of free bandwidth. At the moment, PTO runs between 1-4 Megabytes per second in out bound bandwidth. The server has been tested in burst up to 64 mebabytes per second and sustained over 20 MB per second. Yes, every time a new page is pulled up, the system say's "get this graphic and that one for this person" and so on.... But, when people do searches here, that takes a huge chunk of processor time to get the results.

I'll be back in a few to comment more on this..
Old 05-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momhurting
Maybe we can all donate monthly for high speed connection. With all the people we have wont be much. Just a thought
Believe it or not, PTO's server is located in one of the largest and most advanced data centers in the world. It's our server rather than the connection. The server is actually a very good one but we need two of them and on a load balanced system so when one is being worked hard it shares the load with the other. It also gives a fail-over system where if one should crash for any reason the other would take over full duties.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

well fed x, what do you think so far about the comments? any strike you? whatever you decide, count me in!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:04 AM

I've just joined but I think its great. Its so wonderful to be able to talk to people who understand what you're going through. I'd be willing to send in a donation or pay a menbership fee or whatever. I have an ebay site if we want to do something like that. thats what i do for a living actually. I help a friend run two large powerseller sites then I also have a couple of small personal sites that i use to bring in a little extra money to help keep the bills paid and some money on my Baby's books.

I think it was a great idea on the fundraiser to make it like a competition for the various states/forums.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,154 Times in 598 Posts

David you have me for a montly donation. I dont mind helping as much as I can. If I can cut out a pack of smokes or something else then I am cool with it. I will do as much as I can to contribute
Old 05-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Heck I just found a 20 in my drier. I wonder what else i can come up with if i do all my laundry! Its yours if you need it. It is a start! anyone else?!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:20 AM

OK I am at work and don't have time to read all 6 pages. Good Lord, But I am up for whatever. Have membership minimums for those who are able. You don't have to turn any one away, but most of can and would willingly pay a monthly or annual fee. No prob. Have the donation address sticky at the beginning of each forum. We don't care go ahead and beg. It will just be a nice reminder to those of us on here EVERYDAY that the extra $10 we have after bankrolling our babies we can send to PTO.

The competition idea is great, a little friendly competition never hurt anyone and would only help us. I couldn't make it without PTO.

By the way, my check is in the mail also, it ain't much, but it'll be regular!

Dana
Old 05-20-2005, 11:21 AM

I think someone mentioned some kind of contest or challenge. A contest between states. Whatever state brings in the most money will have the title of "annual PTO fundraiser champs" or something like that. Not really a prize, but a bragging right
Old 05-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

I like that idea TNC!!!!!!! Texas members would love to have the bragging rights.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Hello.. I just read the thread from betrayed4life (dani).. and i never knew there was an issue.. (finacial)>>> problems.. yes i understand we need to pay for service.. and cutback.. soooo what ever it takes i am for cutting out siggys.. some are too big.. and the graphics.. and i am willing to pay a membership also.. ! (within reason)

Donna

Old 05-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Holding on by a thread

If we can get an address to send it to id put a money order in mail today....i think others would to and that would get us started on the immediate problem and then we can work on a continuios income for the site to keep running....i know i personally do not mind helping with the upkeep cost ...although this was your baby David we all feel like we are a part of it now.

Robin
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2001
I like that idea TNC!!!!!!! Texas members would love to have the bragging rights.
Clearly Idaho cant do this because we dont have enough member in the area, but what about a Texas Chile feed? You guys have lots of g2g and with summer coming up maybe a chile feed. I'm probably over reaching as it might cost more to make the chile then what it would bring in, but it depends on how many members normally show at your g2g
Old 05-20-2005, 11:55 AM

I would gladly donate what I could to help out. Problem is, I need an address to send it to because I don't have a CC. I was thinking, if only 750 members sent in $1/month, that would pay for the monthly cost alone. From what I'm seeing here, people would be willing to give more than that. Someone had also said they had experience writing grants, I would check into that. This site has been very informative for me. I knew nothing about the penal/prison system what-so-ever before I found it, and I can't even imagine where I would of found all this kind of knowledge or insight for free any where else. I truly think it is a God-send and I wish to thank you Fed-X for making this all happen.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:59 AM
2008 Club Member #4

Ok, I have read about three pages of the seven so I apologize if this has been said or is dumb idea. I do not log out when I leave the site, so it shows that I have been in forums for weeks. If people log out when they leave would that help? Or is everyone doing that except for me. I would be willing to pay for membership too or contribute to an ORGANIZED fundraiser.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,590 Times in 2,182 Posts

Back to my pizza card idea.. my nephews football team had 20 cards each.. and they came up with a lil over a 1000.. They are little league ..

Mrs. Dragon sure you could take those recipes and pile them in to a cookbook and we can place that on ebay as well...

For the calendar .. it could be of different things .. from the inmate drawings and poetry to Pto g2g.. it would show the world a different side of this situation
Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
You probably should PM Slainte or Lysbeth so they are aware and can check that out.
I just checked on the PayPal account and it is up and working. Where the error may be coming from is I deleted the actual email associated with it because it was getting an insane amount of spam. Goes back to why we don't allow posting email addresses in the forums. The only place it was posted was here and it probably was getting 400 emails a day. Took me hours to clean it out. If you want to donate you can do so right now at contribute@paypal.com or via the donate button at the bottom BUT I will be changing that email prior to the fund raiser we will likely start in a week or two. For now, the contribute link above is good and will be recorded. Just a word of note. IF you do donate via paypal, PLEASE include your username in the notes section. During the 2004 fund raiser, a lot of people didn't do this and the emails were not what they registered with at PTO. More on this later.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRrIcK'sBaByGuRl
i think that the ones that have a account and the only day they was on is the day they joined like from 2-3 years ago the accounts should be deleted for more room
Believe it or not, some people still come back after long periods of time. I just saw one the other day that registered in the first few months that PTO was around and was last seen here in early 2002. Also, people go away to prison.
These accounts along with inactive accounts don't actually slow the system down. We could have 20 million accounts but unless they were all online, it wouldn't affect us. Just the way the systems are designed now days.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdylan06
well fed x, what do you think so far about the comments? any strike you? whatever you decide, count me in!
Lot's of good ones and ideas. I'm going to try and respond individually and then lay out a couple ideas that have evolved in my head from reading and discussing this with you all.

Thanks..
Old 05-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Holding on by a thread

I have fixing to head back to hospital with my dad and do not have a creditcard....is there a Post Office box or something we can send a donation to?
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.
Closed Thread