Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 AM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 738 Posts
Default College and Financial Aid Question

Not sure if this is the right thread so please move if necessary - thanks!

I have two questions here --

1. My husband is in Federal Prison. My twin daughters are currently applying for college. It is their stepdad and they're too embarrassed to list on their applications that he is in prison (he gets out in January, before some schools will even notify him), so they just put that he's retired. It's only for demographics and not required they even put him on the applications, so we don't really care. They probably could've written a fantastic common app essay on the adversity of having a parent go through the criminal system and having a parent in prison (they've lived with him for more than 7 years, which is longer than their father lived here, and he is like a father to them) as well as maintaining their grades, etc. as that would definitely be a unique topic, but once again they were worried about that topic. Of course, now they realize maybe it would have been a strong topic. I am curious if anyone out here does have kids that have applied for college and has felt that has hurt and/or helped them in that section.

2. We are about to fill out the FAFSA and accompanying financial aid stuff. Is anyone on here familiar with that? While it asks for my husband's financial info for 2017, which I will have to provide once his tax return is filed next week (we file separately), it asks about the child living with the parents most often in 2018. Since he has not lived here for any of 2018, do I put that he has lived here 0, ignore that he is incarcerated, and/or for his job actually put that he is in prison? By putting prison the colleges then will know he is in prison. The tax returns won't say he is in prison, so I still don't think it's necessary. But again, I'm curious, if we put prison, how does that affect financial aid. Does anyone know? Help, hurt? I've looked into scholarships for children with parents in prison however, they don't qualify for any of the ones I have found. Either because we aren't in those states, minorities, or for other reasons. One other reason we don't want to put the prison thing is that one of the schools one of my daughters is applying to ED is where my husband went to college and as a legacy not sure how that would impact any decision they make knowing one of their alumni is a federal prisoner! As we all know, some people aren't as good as giving the benefit of the doubt as others.

Any other advice re FAFSA would be great, or other scholarships, would be great.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 AM

According to the student aid website:
"In situations such as the ones below, you may be able to submit your FAFSA form without parent information despite being considered a dependent student:
  • Your parents are incarcerated..."
Link for this information: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/f...-circumstances
As for your first question, I don't have an answer for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rigora For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:31 AM

And I just realized I didn't even answer your second question either, sorry. From what I'm looking up, your twin's father being incarcerated should not negatively impact what they're awarded through FAFSA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rigora For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigora View Post
According to the student aid website:
"In situations such as the ones below, you may be able to submit your FAFSA form without parent information despite being considered a dependent student:
  • Your parents are incarcerated..."
Link for this information: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/f...-circumstances
As for your first question, I don't have an answer for you.
Thanks. I did just look that up, and it was helpful, but unfortunately doesn't apply. They can provide his financial information and they aren't independents. But it's good to know for some people that is an option. His income in 2017 was actually about twice mine. I don't think we're going to qualify based on the 2017 numbers, however, our 2018 income numbers are quite low, aside from some IRA conversions we made, which can be noted that income wasn't wage income, and even our will be a lot lower next year due to the hit for paying for year 1 of college (for 2 kids), plus decrease of assets attributable to my husband being gone. I guess we'll just see how it plays out.

Our 2019 taxes however will wind up having the biggest impact on financial aid down the line because that tax return (filed in 2020) will be used when I have 3 kids in college, but also it'll be the first year my husband is out of prison earning income, but not for a full year.

I guess we'll know soon enough if my kids get any merit aid.

Thanks again for looking into it for me!!