Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Mississippi that do not fit into any other Mississippi sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:39 PM

Default New to this--how much time will he really do?

My bf was sentenced to county jail in ms. His sentence is 188 days. I am completely dumb to how all this works someone said oh he won't do the while time. His release date is dec 19 2016 how does all that work. Will he do the full 188 days or can he get out early. The min sentence on his charges are 10 days. What can we expect do all county jails release early? He was told that there is no early release program for trustees I'm lost
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,192 Posts

Hi PPam,
Chances are good a moderator will move this over to the Mississippi area if you haven't posted over there already. I can't say for sure what to expect as far as how much time he'll do since I'm in California and only familiar with how the jail and prison systems work here. But while your post is here, just some general thoughts.
(Oh, and by coincidence, my Dee will be out around the same time. Can't wait for Christmas!)
1.) Again, I'd use the Mississippi boards for more specific information. They probably have discussions over there about legal issues including how sentences work. In California, a 188 day sentence in a county jail would be served at 50% time (and maybe even less due to crowding) so 94 days. However, in some states, 188 days means 188 days. Someone familiar with Mississippi law would know under what circumstances he could be out sooner than that, if any.
2.) You could also talk to people at the jail. Not sure if a Sheriff's Department runs the jails there or if it's another entity but that can tell you whether or not that out date is set in stone or if he can earn any additional credits through programming or behavior.
3.) If you haven't already, chances are good by using Google to type in the county that he's being housed in and the words "inmate locator" you will be able to get information on exactly where he is housed, his inmate number, and any rules or restrictions as far as visitation, letter writing, phone calls, possibly ordering him packages are concerned.
4.) A lot of inmates unfortunately will try to scam other inmates and their friends and family. If anyone asks you for money, talk to him. If he starts asking for unusual favors, large amounts of money, or to do something for another inmate....be careful. What starts as "please get a message to my buddy's mother" can grow into you suddenly doing favors for people who are looking to manipulate you or your man.
5.) If you can visit, visit. Send him letters. Postcards. Greeting cards.

188 days seems like a long time, I know, but after over 4 1/2 years.....well, it seems like not a lot at all anymore. Keep yourself occupied. Lean on friends and family for support. Do things you like to do. In my case I used the time to go back to school and get an MBA and then start a new business....of course I had years, not months, but the general idea is still the same.....use your time wisely. He'll be home before you know it. In the meantime, be a support, but don't forget to take care of yourself. And remember, many of us are more than happy to lend an ear, myself included...if you need to vent, my inbox is always open.

Good luck to you. I hope this at least gave you some food for thought and some ideas about where to look for answers next.

-E