Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,684 Times in 7,685 Posts
Default Tracking/Stalking a cell phone?

Does anyone have any experience (hopefully on the victim side, but hey...I need info, so...) of tracking someone's phone? What I mean is I know there are ways of knowing where someone's phone is at, but is it possible to know when a person is active on their phone?

Here's the deal-- I'm increasingly suspicious that someone I know is tracking, or whatever you call it, my phone. When I pick up my phone and open it to use Google or something, I instantly get a text from this person. It's like they know I'm on my phone. This isn't through Messenger, just an 'old fashioned' text. How do they know I'm on my phone right then? This person would have had access to my phone, but it's locked. I don't use FB or IG or any other app that has a last log-in feature. I also started to receive Google Maps Timeline summaries last month when I've never gotten them before. I mean that could be coincidence and just something new from Google (ick), but it's sure fueling my creeped out feeling.

Can anyone shed light on how this works? I'm prepared to wipe my entire phone and start over at this point. :/
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 08:01 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,493 Times in 15,244 Posts

wow, that IS creepy.
Ive no idea.
What if you brought your phone into a store that deals with phones. Maybe they can shed some light here???

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
wow, that IS creepy.
Ive no idea.
What if you brought your phone into a store that deals with phones. Maybe they can shed some light here???
It is. I'm going to download any files I have on it (photos, mostly) and do a factory reset today. There are ways to hide trackers and I'd rather just start over. *sigh* I don't hate technology, I hate what people choose to do with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Полезный дурак

I don’t know much about this besides what I heard from others.

Phone spying / tracking is possible. A lot of the time, it comes from downloaded malware, that run in the background, of downloaded apps.

Hackers created backdoors to be able to enter your phone. It is possible that is one way in which they can enter.

You don’t see the app running but your phone battery gets used up quicker than normal. There are other things like certain preferences on your phone have been changed.

If you have an iPhone it is understood that whoever is tracking you had to have the phone in their hands at some point. If you did a jailbreak on your iPhone, you could open it up to more spying, but this is about an individual, and not some outsiders.

For Android, there are apps that apparently remove this from your phone. I can find one out.

If you are able to follow your network usage, you can see if some thing looks amiss.

My husband used „ privacy cases ” on all his phones. I think he used the company „PrivacyCase” but there is a company called Vysk, or some thing like that, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Banned

Sounds like a hacker call ur company provider I don't necessarily have this problem but for the longest my Facebook/Google location would say north Carolina I don't live there lol
Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 PM

You’re doing the right thing by factory resetting your phone. That will remove any nefarious software downloaded on it. My ex stalked me for 18 months, it’s a very harrowing and traumatic time. I’m sorry you’re going through this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiPP View Post
You’re doing the right thing by factory resetting your phone. That will remove any nefarious software downloaded on it. My ex stalked me for 18 months, it’s a very harrowing and traumatic time. I’m sorry you’re going through this
Thank you. I've been stalked by an ex before, as well. It's triggering for me and I have to keep pulling myself out of that fear-based response. The sad part is, if this is what has happened, I allowed it back in. I'm not saying "I deserve it", except I knew better and allowed myself to be guilt tripped back into this person's life. I'm disappointed in them and myself. Files are in transfer right now.

But to add a bit of funny to this so it's not all freaky-- during one of my ex's confrontational rants, he accused me of proving that I was only after money. I'd heard that before from him (who had to file bankruptcy and had nothing, so...huh?) but this time he had magical proof. I asked him what proof? He said he saw my photo on FB with my new guy, the doctor. Whaaat? I said I'm not dating a doctor. You're crazy. I realized then it was the scrub-style top that my husband wears for his prison uniform. If crazy ex hadn't threatened suicide in the same call, it would have been too hard not to laugh. I'm such a good gold-digger I went for an inmate.

Last edited by miamac; 02-05-2019 at 01:20 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,248 Times in 1,919 Posts

Good for you! Now? Put a bolt on that door and do not open it again.

And block the number.
KiwiPP (02-05-2019), miamac (02-05-2019), Ne Plach’ (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
Good for you! Now? Put a bolt on that door and do not open it again.

And block the number.
It's time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (02-05-2019), Ne Plach’ (02-05-2019), safran (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 10,853 Times in 4,510 Posts

I think there is all kinds of spyware on our devices tracking what we buy, where we go and what we view online.
I am currently being stalked by an AX Paris dress and a hotel in Denver. I was shopping for both of those things and now every page I view has those adverts down the side and they are also on facebook.
Its a scary old world. A factory reset should do the trick.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I think there is all kinds of spyware on our devices tracking what we buy, where we go and what we view online.
I am currently being stalked by an AX Paris dress and a hotel in Denver. I was shopping for both of those things and now every page I view has those adverts down the side and they are also on facebook.
Its a scary old world. A factory reset should do the trick.
The adverts thing has happened to me, too. Our "smart" TV viewing triggers suggestions on my phone for things based on what I pull up on YouTube on the living room wall. Creepy is an understatement. I was given an Alexa for Christmas last year. I've plugged it in twice and while I love being able to use it like a wireless speaker for iHeart, the whole idea of it bothers me. So it's in my desk drawer (and probably still listening).

Phone is backed up and it's been wiped. Didn't even allow it to reinstall previously installed apps for fear that it was like a bug attached to something. Wth level of crazy are we living in?

Curious thing-- within a minute of wiping my phone and a restart, I got a text from that person saying they were sorry to bother me and they'd leave me alone. Is that my proof?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (02-05-2019), maytayah (02-05-2019), Ne Plach’ (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-06-2019), sidewalker (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Sounds like waaaay too much of a coincidence to me hun. The thing I learned with my stalking ex, nothing was a coincidence, everything was him. Weird sock accounts I’d previously listed as probably not him ended up coming out as him a year down the track. I think pigs will fly before it’s an innocent coincidence that he somehow messaged you straight after you removed the tracking software from your phone of him saying he won’t bother you anymore. These psychos are sneaky and often leave no evidence, that right there is a glaring admission of guilt from a stalker (although to people without experience being stalked it might not seem like it).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Полезный дурак

O my mia, that is definitely NOT a coincidence and very creepy. So happy that you wiped your phone. I am very sorry that you — as well as KiwiPP — had to endure such an invasion of privacy.

When one goes through the list of tracking apps and their capabilities, it makes a stomach turn! Stay safe, friends!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-06-2019), sidewalker (02-05-2019)