Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Inmate Whistle-blowing & Officer Retaliation

Has anyone (or their incarcerated loved one) experienced retaliation from corrections officers for whistle-blowing or otherwise exposing misconduct of officers and/or the mistreatment of inmates? My inmate friend is receiving a lot of retaliation from the officers for moving forward and making a formal complaint against one of the guards who blatantly went against DOC rules/regulation by bringing in a live ammunition for my friend to draw a detailed picture of. Ever since my friend made the incident known to appropriate staff, he has been on the receiving end of persecution. Who can I contact on his behalf? (advocacy group, etc...) His mother is contacting the DOC Ombudsman in Salem, I have read mixed reviews regarding contacting the Inspector General hotline. Please advise.

Last edited by aftershock23; 10-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Clarification/grammar
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,719 Times in 3,037 Posts

I don't have any personal experience, though I know that it does happen, and have heard stories similar to yours from others over the years. Most of those stories ended in the original complainant dropping their complaint for self protection.

It's very much a "circle the wagons" mentality.

Your options are limited, though you might have some luck with the ACLU.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 AM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 798 Posts

I don't know whether to suggest the local ACLU chapter or their National Prison Project.

Your state legislator is also an option. I don't know if it will work. It can sometimes.

At a guess the angle to take with the Inspector General is that your friend was reporting official misconduct and the prison is trying to scare him into helping with a cover-up.