Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 08:01 PM

Red face Heat

Some units in Texas received an order in June to take measures to ensure keeping metal barracks cooler. Janie Cockrell said they should give the offenders ice, drinks like gator aid to replace things lost in perspiration. more showers, and the roofs should be sprayed with water. This is not being done in my friend's unit, so I emailed Janie Cockrell about it. I got a reply from someone else, and they said it would be investigated within the next thirty days. Well, I told them people could die in thirty days, and that this is an emergency situation. No answer was forthcoming. My friend takes two medicines that make him heat intolerant, so summer for him is hell on earth. I wonder how many deaths in prisons marked "natural causes" are from heat? Lillie issed:
Old 08-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Da Ole Goat

Well it be look'n like I gotta slid outta dat Senior chair around here 'n pass the seniority on. I can be put'n JR before me'z "ole goat" now. LOL

Welcome aboard Lillie
Old 08-21-2002, 06:50 PM
PTO Junkie

it is not being done at my husbands unit either.. texas summers are like a death sentance. My husband hates the summer.. He just wrote about it in the letter i got today.. My poor baby.. just getting fried..
it inflames the great

Shortie

Old 08-22-2002, 12:42 PM
kitty member

lillie: there are several states, especially in the south and southeast, where the "heat" is regarded as a fact of life and inmates have to "deal" with it. most prisons aren't air conditioned, even the ones built now are oftentimes fitted with the ductwork, but not hooked into a cooling system. it's really appalling!!!! i know that prisoners on death row in florida are not even permitted to use fans!

please keep us informed as to whether you get an "action" regarding your complaint!
Old 08-22-2002, 02:42 PM
R.I.P.

LILLIE

YOU ARE VERY RIGHT... MY SON IS IN SEG NOW AND HAS BEEN ALL SUMMER. IT IS HOT HERE IN NC. HE HAS NO FAN, NO AIR COND, NO WINDOWS. NOTHING EXCEPT THE BARS THAT LEAD TO THE HALL. HE BURNS UP DAILY... I AM REALLY SURPRISED HE HAS NOT HAD HEAT STROKE. BUT, HE SURVIVES DAY TO DAY.... I SURE WISH SOMETHING COULD BE DONE BUT WITH ALL THE BUDGET CUTS ALL OVER IT WILL BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE... AFTER ALL THESE ARE JUST INMATES.

DONNA
Old 08-22-2002, 07:33 PM

Angry

Yes, even the guards suffer, and it is hard to keep them, but even at that, they have fans in the hall. Unfortunately, the air doesn't reach into the cells. I heard of a new fan at the commissary now and sent Michael money to get one. He ordered one last week. Guess what? They took his old fan at that time and he had to wait a week for the new one. Go figure. They don't even let them give the old fan to some of the old timers who have no one and no fan. I am so glad that this August has been a little cooler than usual, due to some rains. Hugs. Lillieissed: