Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Does anyone know how long after you show up on the bop locator do you usually get your letter?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Jail

I was talking with some people from BOP today at the pre-trial office. They said that since my sentence was so short, 9 months, that I may end up doing it at a jail instead of prison. How common is that?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,324 Posts

It's fairly common, but it probably won't be pleasant. You should ask your lawyer to see if the judge might reconsider and let you serve part of the time in a Halfway House and/or on house arrest. 9 months in a county facility is definitely harder than in a women's camp, but they are overcrowded.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:27 PM

Be careful what you ask for during sentencing as far as facility request and make sure you have done your research ahead of time! My F asked for the facility closest to his family and ended up at a maximum security detention center (which was closest) instead of a satellite camp, (which was just alittle bit further away) that matched his classification. Attorney had told him he would probably go to a camp-BOY was he off the mark! AND...there was nothing he could do about it. The judge said it was not in his hands and was up to the BOP.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 PM

My theory on why the BOP sends our loved ones far away is to decrease overcrowding at visitation. Could you imagine if all of our loved ones were close to home? By placing them far away, families will visit much less often.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:12 PM

If someone is designated to a "low" facility, how do they get transferred to a camp? Are there forms, procedures. etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
~Romeo's Girl~

Is there ANYTHING we can do, say or do something about not moving them so far!!!!..My Baby is in transfer right now( in the hole)waiting and I don't want him to go to far that I can't see him
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM

Default 500 miles

i to read a law and called the bop and in grand praire tx and said that their supposed to go not more than 500 miles away from their families but its not always like that, and they were so right. my son just got sentenced 2yrs and was sent to beaumont low in tx next thing we know they sent him to a transfer unit in ok city from their we just found out hes being designated to loretto pensylvania. i hate them too, our family is devasted and i called my congressman and im trying to see what i can do about this. they say the prisons r so crowded but our justice system is so corupt! it all falls if u have money then u can get a lighter sentence. my daughter in law is also devastated and my grandkids wont see their dad for a longtime. my son is only 26 and got charged for some dumb conspiracy charge. which is so dumb cuz that charge is a she said he said thing with no statements,audio tapes or pictures. does anyone know if they can transfer a tx fed inmate way out of state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmitchellswife
I thought they were supposed to try to put people close to their families? I thought I read somewhere that it is supposed to be within 500 miles if possible? You would think somewhere along the lines that someone would care about the families!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

The 500 mile rule is not a law and yes they can send them anywhere they want.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,377 Times in 4,637 Posts

cc1863: Sorry to hear he got sent so far from his family. Did they give him a reason why he was transferred when he was already assigned to Beaumont Low?? Did his security level change? He should, when he arrives there, request a transfer closer to home. He should request this at his first "Unit Team" meeting - and they will probably tell him he has to have 18 months of "clean time" before he gets transferred and it looks like he's only got 2 years to serve. But it's worth requesting it. Z.

Last edited by Zelda50; 11-20-2007 at 09:50 PM..
Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Prayer is the key

Some are waiting at a dentention center once they are sentenced the bop can put them anywhere they want to unfortunately but, if they have specific medical needs (wheelchair, deaf, blind etc.) they will try to house them accordingly and a little closer to thier families

Giving me no more than what I can handle!!!!
Knowing when to Let Go, and Let God!!!
I am God's work in progress
Old 01-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Where do we find information on who to petition for a closer placement if such a thing is possible?

DM
Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Donation Award 

An inmate can request a facility change after he has served 18 months. He will put the request in writing when he is eligible.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outraged
The 500 mile rule is not a law and yes they can send them anywhere they want.
You r sooooooooo right! From Lompoc-Victorville-Allenwood-Lewisburg-? Away 'WE' go.. where next?
Wherever "They" want....
ALOHA
Malia

Malia Lynn
Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 AM
Account Closed

I agree.....Mines gone from Las Vegas to Florence,AZ to Victorville to Atwater and currently at Transfer center in OK city and then off to Englewood,Co for RDAP and back to Vegas for halfway house. Whew !
Old 01-27-2008, 11:24 PM

well my fiance' is in coleman usp 2 and they told him he would be able to transfer in april or may of 2008 because he needed another class or something but how can he get or do what he needs if they're always on lockdown for unnecessary reasons if nothing has happened within the facility and the killing part of it all is that they came off lockdown on the 26th of nov from the 2nd of nov and when the new warden took over on dec 1st they went back on lockdown on dec6th until present so tell me how is that helping them to rehabilitate themselves? keeping them on lockdown all the time
Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

what about changing the designation? My Lamont's from South Carolina (071) and I'm in Florida (don't ask what the designation is), but we're getting married this coming Friday (2/8). Can his designation be changed? Quite the question, I realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50
This information courtesy of FedCURE (www.fedcure.org)

In 2005, the Federal Bureau of Prisons began to phase out its Regional
Designators—the people who used to decide where inmates were sent. That process is
now complete. The Bureau of Prisons now processes initial designations, transfers,
and inmate sentence computations from its new Consolidated Designations and Sentence Computation Center in Grand Prairie, Texas. The Consolidated Center performs the following functions for all federal prisons throughout the entirecountry:

1. Initial security level classification scoring. (This used to be
done by staff at the Community Corrections Office closest to the sentencing Court.)
2. Designations and transfers. (These functions used to be
performed at the Bureau’s six Regional Offices.)
3. Sentence computations. (Each prison used to do this for its own
inmates.)

Under this new arrangement, after a court sentences someone to serve a term of
confinement, the designation request, along with the federal judgment order and
Presentence Report, are sent to the Consolidated Center. Who does the sending can
vary from judicial district to judicial district. In many districts, these documents
are transmitted to the Bureau electronically. The Bureau anticipates that soon all
judicial districts will follow this practice. Under the new system, once the
Consolidated Center receives a designation request and the necessary documentation,
it assigns the case to the team that handles cases from that particular U.S.
District Court. There are 18 such teams at the Center—each with responsibility for
specific federal judicial districts. Teams include records technicians (called Legal
Instrument Examiners, or LIEs), Case Management staff, administrative assistants,
and operations members. After the team scores the individual for security
classification and completes a sentence computation, it enters the case into the
Bureau’s computer database for designation. It does not actually designate anyone to
a particular institution. That task is handled by one of seven Senior Designators.
Senior Designators also are responsible for all federal inmate transfers based on
disciplinary or supervisory needs. Assistant Designators handle “routine” inmate
transfers.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Husband now at Beaumont Low

IT is about 7.5 hours from here and we are actually lucky because there are some from my same town that were sent to California, North Carolina, and Florida. I guess BOP doesn't care where they put them when it comes to where their family is.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by etty View Post
I live in Baltimore and my son will be in Taft, CA
I Live in Minn. and just found out they are shipping me to Taft Ca. FCI. Do you or anyone else have info on Taft? How long it might take to transfer back home to be closer to my wife and kids? I am in a wheelchair so i have many more questions if any can help me. Thank you. Scott
P.S. The Federal Judge recomended i go to Rochester, Mn. but apparently they didnt listen

Last edited by srolla; 06-03-2008 at 10:22 AM..
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM

(email removed per policy) I was just released from Federal Prison Camp in Yankton where I sat for 27-months. I would be glad to answer any of your questions or help you in any way i can.

Last edited by PTO-97580; 06-09-2008 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: personal email
Old 06-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by etty View Post
I live in Baltimore and my son will be in Taft, CA
I am from Minnesota and also will be sent to Taft, Ca. even though the judge recommended Rochester, Mn. cause i am in a wheelchair! Go figure!!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B,B and B's Dad View Post
(email removed per policy) I was just released from Federal Prison Camp in Yankton where I sat for 27-months. I would be glad to answer any of your questions or help you in any way i can.
Do you know how long it takes to get a transfer? Also have you heard anything on FCI Taft, Ca.? When you were in Yankton, where do you live on the outside? Thanks so much
Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 AM

Can anyone tell me, because I don't remember from his last transfer, if the info will be on the bop inmate locator first or is he informed first? He keeps asking me to check it. Aaaah...the life of an unpaid secretary!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Donation Award 

He will be informed and will be transferred before the info makes it to the web site.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM

What does this mean? I just check the BOP for his location status: yesterday it states not in bop custody
Today it states : DESIG/SENTENCE COMPUTATION CTR so where is this? And how long after this do they transfer them?
Closed Thread