Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM

I have a question my husband had a parole hearing in august got approved he went in in February for a 6 months parole voliation put his transfer from Arkansas to California I called California icots and they are in the process of assigning a parole officer to come check out our home may take two weeks to do what do I need to be prepared for when icots parole officer comes out to approved the house tia
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,164 Times in 13,319 Posts

The PO who does the inspection will tell you the rules you will inherit along with your husband. They usually include all of his individual restrictions, such as no guns, alcohol, whatever that he is forbidden to be around. They will also explain the rights you give up, mostly having to do with warrantless searches, and owning big dogs.

In mine, the PO also asked everyone who also lived there for permission to have me move in.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:38 PM

Thank you I'm just so confused lol
The Following User Says Thank You to aprilBox1990 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2015)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:36 PM

Default Help!!!

Hi, my son is due to be released in exactly two wks from a my state prison. The transfer was put in for him to transfer here with me and his step dad. They have all his paperwork since the 15th of January and its in the investigation process, I have not had a PO come to the house yet and I'm afraid we are running out of time before he is released. What can I do to speed it up and what will happen if it is not approved before he is released in two wks...Please help!!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

If the transfer isn't approved before his release, he will have to follow the instructions he receives from the parole/probation department in that state. His PO there will advise him what he is allowed to do until the IC investigation is approved.

He can check through his prison counselor, but my advice is not to get involved unless your son asks you to contact them.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:26 PM

If application is denied, can parolee reapply? And if so, is there a certain amount of time before New application is submitted???
Old 03-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Family is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
KP Wifey,

The sending state can have thier own procedures, if the prison refuses to send out a transfer packet until Parole is granted then the client is stuck waiting until the process is done. I just had a guy who was was waiting for me to respond to his request for a transfer as he made parol and he had to stay inside until I did it (unfortunetly for him I was on vacation for 2 weeks when it got sent to me). As far as the prison is concerned, his parole date is the minimal time he must serve and he hasn't even reached his max so they don't see a problem with him being forced to wait for the process. Luckely, I new my guy as he had previously been a client so I knew his situation and just approved it as soon as I returned.
What state are you in ? I'm in TEXAS tryig to get my brother here from Alabama on your opion will this be difficult.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmom94 View Post
If application is denied, can parolee reapply? And if so, is there a certain amount of time before New application is submitted???
It depends on the reason for the denial, if it was simply that the requesting state did not submit all the required information then certainly it can and should be resubmitted with the requested documentation.

If the denial was technical in nature, such as an unsafe environment, firearms in the home or any other parole issue then it is unlikely the state will resubmit.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow (7-23-2004) I have the "pleasure" to participate in Interstate Compact training to be re educated with the new compact that was recently inacted. I will post any changes on this thread that may effect you or your loved ones.
Quote:
Cubana, if your talking about time from his release from prison it is 120 days out that the sending state has to send the packet to the recieving state for a a Parolee.

Does this mean 120 days before he is released to halfway house? Or 120 days before his normal out date ?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaheisterman View Post
Does this mean 120 days before he is released to halfway house? Or 120 days before his normal out date ?
The 120 days is prior to his parole date, if he is required by the sending state to complete lets say 6 months at a halfway house the IC can be submitted while at the halfway house when he is 120 days short.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris idoc For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-04-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 04:57 PM

so just questions...

we will try to start process soon, i know about the immediate family and job and stuff. My question/ concern is, can I be living at my brothers house and use that till we can get our own place? I can get a place, but we have talked about it and if his request is denied then i would move to texas. So i don't want to get my own place now, sign a year lease then be stuck here till he's off parole. He is off May 2017.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:03 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

The first step will be to have his interstate transfer approved. Then where he is allowed to live will be up to his new PO. Until that happens, you won't know the answers to your questions, but obligating yourself to a long lease could cause problems if the PO won't allow him to live there.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The first step will be to have his interstate transfer approved. Then where he is allowed to live will be up to his new PO. Until that happens, you won't know the answers to your questions, but obligating yourself to a long lease could cause problems if the PO won't allow him to live there.

Thank you!!! So many questions and wanting to know info. I been looking for someone that has successfully gone the transfer process but seems like all i find is people that have been denied or needing more info. Would just like to hear about the success stories! lol. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:33 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,148 Posts

One thing that needs to also be addressed before they even consider a interstate transfer . Restitution must be paid in full before accepting state
will accept transferee.
I am sure that you have all read the current rules for Interstate Compact here is a link to the current rules as of 03/16/2016 http://www.interstatecompact.org/Leg...tepbyStep.aspx
Here is the home page link to Interstate Compact for Adult Offenders.
http://www.interstatecompact.org/ plenty of information and state contacts numbers can be found here
AuntSuz68 (04-27-2016), fbopnomore (03-24-2016), JustWondering2 (04-21-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 AM

Default Is there an actual application?

So i got married this past Tuesday!! Wednesday we went to his see new PO and she already knew our circumstances about marriage and wanting to move. She looked over everythin in his file and how he has been doing. She said there was nothing she could see that would prevent her from approving on her end and sending to the ICAOS. She took my info (name, address, phone number and DOB) and said she would put request in. I had found an application online on the ICAOS website so now im thinking that we did it wrong. I did ask his PO and she said she would take care of it. I know each step/ office has up to 45 days to review and everything so I just want to make sure all info is correct.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjsmom94 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-25-2016), JustWondering2 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 02:06 PM

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,573 Posts

I know my husband is considered a manditory transfer as we are married, I am an Illinois resident, I own my home, he has support...my question is does he have to apply or can I fill out the application?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Default SAI in Chelsea MI and Interstate Compact Transfer??

Hello,

Thank you all and any who can chime in and let me know if this is possible? I appreciate all your help and acknowledge everyone else's pain and suffering--been reading a lot here!

Ok so nephew is about to graduate the SAI program in Chelsea and as far as we know has already put in his packet for interstate transfer to our home. We moved here to NC while nephew was incarcerated. Obviously would love to get him to a whole new environment!!!!

My husband called MI for a status and was told the full name of the PO in our county here in NC but has left several voice mails just asking for a status with no response. I know everyone is very busy and we would hate to piss the guy off---from what I can gather it is his job to investigate and determine if our home is a suitable place for nephew to come?

I have found conflicting info on my own and wonder:

1. Is he allowed to come to a new state (we moved here while he was incarcerated) after graduation from SAI---I read something about an aftercare component phase for graduates. Can that be done anywhere? I found no info on SAI here in NC. I have dug into the wording of the interstate compact and really can't find anything that states specifically if he is eligible. I do think that if he were NOT eligible they wouldn't even have submitted the request but like anything else with a lot of red tape, even those working with the stuff can be uninformed.

2. If he IS allowed to come to a new state, is it possible that they'll let that happen straight from boot camp graduation? We literally plan to pick him up that day and drive home to NC if so.
Of course cost wise and convenience wise this is optimal but---is it allowed? Or likely!?

Again I appreciate any input!
Old 04-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. The delay in getting answers to your questions is very difficult to deal with. The best result would be a quick approval by the interstate compact folks. If that happens, his aftercare will be supervised by the NC PO. If not, he will still probably be assigned to the caseload of a MI PO, and will have to remain there unless the PO permits him to move to NC, or until the IC transfer is approved. That will impact your plans to pick him up at the prison too.

Hopefully all of that will be favorably resolved while he is still in boot camp, and you will have your answers prior to his release.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 AM

Default Interstate Compact Transfer from Texas to North Carolina

This is direct toward tjsmom94. My fiance is currently at the JW Hamilton Unit in Bryan Texas. He is prepping to be paroled. We had lived together in NC 3 years prior to his extradition to Texas to face DUI charges. Because he has no blood relatives in NC we had to apply for a discretionary interstate compact transfer which scared me like you wouldn't believe since Texas has been nothing but a thorn in my side since he's been there. Well low and behold I was preparing for the fight of my life as Texas PO assured me that NC would deny us! In addition I don't live in the best of neighborhoods for say(my home study was out the window). Outta no where a knock came to my door! It was a PO asking support questions and performing a home study! I went all in to plead our case!!! At the conclusion of that meeting...My BABY will be coming HOME! I said all of this to say to you...everybody's situation is quite different I just say keep the faith, do your homework, and prparing yourself if given the chance to be heard... go for broke cause that will be the only opportunity you may have to be offically heard especially if your dealing in Texas. FYI: I only wrote one support letter but was there with support otherwise during his incarceration. My LO be coming home soon I suppose! GOOD LUCK!

we will try to start process soon, i know about the immediate family and job and stuff. My question/ concern is, can I be living at my brothers house and use that till we can get our own place? I can get a place, but we have talked about it and if his request is denied then i would move to texas. So i don't want to get my own place now, sign a year lease then be stuck here till he's off parole. He is off May 2017.[/quote]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Bleu For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-26-2016), JustWondering2 (04-28-2016), tjsmom94 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Welcome to Prison Talk. The delay in getting answers to your questions is very difficult to deal with. The best result would be a quick approval by the interstate compact folks. If that happens, his aftercare will be supervised by the NC PO. If not, he will still probably be assigned to the caseload of a MI PO, and will have to remain there unless the PO permits him to move to NC, or until the IC transfer is approved. That will impact your plans to pick him up at the prison too.

Hopefully all of that will be favorably resolved while he is still in boot camp, and you will have your answers prior to his release.
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm hoping we hear SOMETHING before graduation which is set for May 24th. So not much time! I appreciate it
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntSuz68 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-26-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Donation Award 

Default Mrs b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
I know my husband is considered a manditory transfer as we are married, I am an Illinois resident, I own my home, he has support...my question is does he have to apply or can I fill out the application?
Your husband will have to request the transfer from the state he is incarcerated in, you cannot start the process. Lastly, there is not a mandatory transfer within the ICOTS system other than a juvenile living with a parent or if on dual supervision such as probation and parole in which one or the other has already approved the transfer then the other must accept.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 AM
Donation Award 

Default AuntSUZ68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntSuz68 View Post
Hello,

Thank you all and any who can chime in and let me know if this is possible? I appreciate all your help and acknowledge everyone else's pain and suffering--been reading a lot here!

Ok so nephew is about to graduate the SAI program in Chelsea and as far as we know has already put in his packet for interstate transfer to our home. We moved here to NC while nephew was incarcerated. Obviously would love to get him to a whole new environment!!!!

My husband called MI for a status and was told the full name of the PO in our county here in NC but has left several voice mails just asking for a status with no response. I know everyone is very busy and we would hate to piss the guy off---from what I can gather it is his job to investigate and determine if our home is a suitable place for nephew to come?

I have found conflicting info on my own and wonder:

1. Is he allowed to come to a new state (we moved here while he was incarcerated) after graduation from SAI---I read something about an aftercare component phase for graduates. Can that be done anywhere? I found no info on SAI here in NC. I have dug into the wording of the interstate compact and really can't find anything that states specifically if he is eligible. I do think that if he were NOT eligible they wouldn't even have submitted the request but like anything else with a lot of red tape, even those working with the stuff can be uninformed.

2. If he IS allowed to come to a new state, is it possible that they'll let that happen straight from boot camp graduation? We literally plan to pick him up that day and drive home to NC if so.
Of course cost wise and convenience wise this is optimal but---is it allowed? Or likely!?

Again I appreciate any input!
If MI was able to tell you the name of the Parole Agent that is assigned to his ICOTS case in NC then you will need to wait for the agent to contact you. Any ICOTS user can bring up the assigned agent of any offender. You need to understand that the current assigned user in NC may not be an agent that will do the home investigation. Each state has an ICOTS administrator and usually a few employees in the state ICOTS office which assign the cases to themselves while the review the packet before assigning it to a parole supervisor or office for assignment to an investigating agent. The agent normally has 15 days to investigate from the assignment date but many factors may effect the timeline such as vacations, use of sick time or staff shortages. The best way to get an update would be to contact MI and request they send a Compact Action Request asking for an update if the 15 days have elapsed.

Now for the bad news: Nephews, Cousins, Girlfriends / Boyfriends are not considered immediate family under the ICOTS master agreement between states...so the receiving state NC will have quite a lot of latitude on the denial or approval. I am not saying NC will deny the transfer but basically they could as you don't meet the guideline of immediate family. A sending state can request a variance if he would be homeless in their state but the receiving state does not have to approve the variance or plan.

If he is approved to transfer before he graduates the SAI program then you should be able to pick him up and take him directly to NC. He will be required to report immediately upon arrival most likely by phone.
fbopnomore (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris idoc View Post
Your husband will have to request the transfer from the state he is incarcerated in, you cannot start the process. Lastly, there is not a mandatory transfer within the ICOTS system other than a juvenile living with a parent or if on dual supervision such as probation and parole in which one or the other has already approved the transfer then the other must accept.
According to rule 3.101 ( http://www.interstatecompact.org/Leg.../Rule3101.aspx )

Receiving states can not refuse a valid manditory transfer.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 AM

My husbands PO has to give him the application to sign. I do know that. Hes in Texas so maybe its different. I had the application but she said she had to read him all the statements and witness him signing so that he knows and understands everything.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Donation Award 

Default Plan of Supervision

Quote:
According to rule 3.101 ( http://www.interstatecompact.org/Leg.../Rule3101.aspx )

Receiving states can not refuse a valid manditory transfer.
Plan of Supervision – means the terms under which an offender will be supervised, including proposed residence, proposed employment or viable means of support and the terms and conditions of supervision.

Which is why the receiving state conducts a home study / placement investigation to verify compliance with receiving state guidelines of supervision.

An example here in Illinois: Parolees are not allowed to live with the victim of a domestic violence arrest. I am not saying this is accurate in your case but if you were a DV victim in the past then the plan of supervision would be denied based on the receiving state guideline. Just like if you had a collection of firearms and refused to move them from your home the plan of supervision would be denied.

According to ICOTs an offender applying for transfer are subject to both the sending state and receiving state parole guidelines. If for some reason the offender would not be in compliance with the receiving state guideline the transfer is denied.
Ms Sunny (04-28-2016)