Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,138 Times in 7,695 Posts

CA probably has a detainer on him so that when HI releases him, they will hold him and notify CA to come get him. CA will either come get him, or refuse. If they refuse, HI releases him to parole.

If he wants to parole someplace else, he needs to start the process now, with his counselor.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 AM

If he was a resident of CA at the time of the offenses for which he is currently incarcerated in Hawaii, then an interstate compact request would be sent from HI to CA asking them to assume the supervision of him for them (HI). At that point, it is an almost certainty that the CA PO would discover the CA bench warrant.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Default more clarification.....

Thank you both for answering.

Here is the kicker. He was homeless and unemployed in CA. Would they really release him here w/o a family member or a job?

He has spoken with the counselor in jail, and he says he is going to be on "probation" for 5 years. Is that difft then Parole? (sorry I am ignorant about this) he thinks he will just be able to get to IL and CA won't bother about the warrants.....

I will also add Maui dept of corrections or the jail....on the day of his court hearing when he was sentenced, they "made the mistake" and just released him ( with two months to go) he borrowed a cell phone to call me, he was not allowed to stay in the homeless shelter cause he is a "felon" so he was wandering around, and went to a youth hostile. When he was there, on the phone with me cause I offered to pay for a few nights there til he could contact his family, the police showed up and took him back into custody and said a "mistake" had been made and he needed to be locked up 60 more days. I was like WTF? maybe bc it is an island they knew he couldn't go far? However that seems so messed up. He didn't resist and just went back to serve his 60 days. I am just concerned about what will happen with the CA warrants.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 AM

He should be released to the state he was last a resident of.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Hello,

I was hoping to get some info on this whole process. I have a general understanding of how it works, however my husband's counselor is now confusing me. My husband is in New York and I am in North Carolina with my family; we will be attempting to transfer his parole to this address with my family. The earliest we could apply was 09/05/2014, however his counselor did not get to it until 09/29/2014 after I had to contact her supervisor. I called this afternoon to ensure that the application was submitted and she stated that it was. I also wished to update her on how if approved, there is a program called Goodwill Project Re-Entry that has stated they will work with him as early as the day after he gets out. I thought this was fantastic news; the counselor just told me to have them mail her their assurance letter so that she can add it to his parole files.

So here's where some of my confusion comes in, at which point does parole add their extra stipulations such as curfew, substance abuse programs, etc? My husband has signed papers and has received approval by the CR board regarding him coming home on 01/05/2014 and the papers had 14 basic stipulations that all stated were to be determined by his PO's discretion. His counselor said that his PO on the streets will have to do this b/c North Carolina (as the receiving state) must follow what NY sets in place. I understand this, but if the transfer gets approved, why would my husband be given a PO in NY? Further, on the application, his counselor put down a NY address as the proposed address and the NC address as the alternative; instead of the other way around. I thought that as we are trying to get him down here, the NC should be the proposed and if it doesn't work, THEN we have an alternative address in NY that he could go to. Why is this not the case? Or did she do the application wrong? This worries me because she had stated that he must report to his PO on the streets......but if the transfer gets approved, he shouldn't even have time to be "on the streets" in NY....b/c we would then finalize the process of bringing him down here as soon as he is released. I'm just confused and I'm not sure what to expect next. Unfortunately, if I'm not speaking with the supervisor I just get the runaround with no real info.

Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,164 Times in 13,319 Posts

No idea I'm afraid. If he is successful in having his parole transferred to NC, he will learn the actual details of his restrictions from his NC PO, whether they come from NY, or the NC PO actually does have any discretion to amend the NY restrictions. The lazy counselor could have delayed the process by not filing the paperwork on time. If the interstate compact transfer is not approved by the date when he is released, he won't be able to move there until it is.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:45 AM

The sending state will impose their general and special conditions prior to the transfer, and the receiving state will impose their conditions upon acceptance of that transfer. in effect, the offender must obey the conditions of both states, something that the offender acknowledges prior to the transfer. There may be a PO in NY that is assigned the case to monitor, but more likely the case will be administratively assigned to a PO who will only become involved once the sending state receives a violation report from the receiving state. Otherwise, the sending state PO is not involved. If he is asking to move to NC, then the paperwork filed is incorrect and will be returned. The proposed addressed obviously needs to be in the receiving state.
The Following User Says Thank You to VA PO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA PO View Post
The sending state will impose their general and special conditions prior to the transfer, and the receiving state will impose their conditions upon acceptance of that transfer. in effect, the offender must obey the conditions of both states, something that the offender acknowledges prior to the transfer. There may be a PO in NY that is assigned the case to monitor, but more likely the case will be administratively assigned to a PO who will only become involved once the sending state receives a violation report from the receiving state. Otherwise, the sending state PO is not involved. If he is asking to move to NC, then the paperwork filed is incorrect and will be returned. The proposed addressed obviously needs to be in the receiving state.

Thank you for your help. I guess I will be contacting his counselor's supervisor again then because I am getting mixed information. In regards to the proposed address, that is exactly what I said to the counselor and she rebuked anything I had to say. When I brought it up to my husband, he thought that maybe they put the NY address as the proposed so that they can check it out and make sure the residence is okay. He thought that if they had it the other way around and the NC residence failed, then they would be delayed in checking out the NY house. So I am still confused and frustrated and will be calling his supervisor on Monday. I cannot have him in limbo because someone is not doing there job right.. maybe I'll have to call Albany as well.

Thank you both for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to scheshire For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-04-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Hello everyone, me again. I'm wondering if anyone else generally has issues with contacting PO's and such? There are 12 business days left until my husband is released and a home visit still has not been done and his NC PO has not returned my calls. It all comes down to her seeing the home and saying yes/no. Further, I've had to contact the state bureau regarding these issues and they sent an email to the local office telling them to do a home visit and still nothing has happened. I'm getting pretty frustrated b/c I need to know what the he** is going on and whether he needs to go by car/plane/train etc and then get everything all in place. It's getting really aggravating b/c I've been bending over backwards to meet all criteria and prepare as much as possible and it seems as if no one else is doing their job. We only have so much time left. I understand big caseloads. I really do. But that excuse only goes so far when the NC PO has been assigned for a month now and hasn't attempted any contact. I really hope it won't be this way for the next 3 years. Any suggestions/ideas?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. I completely understand your frustration, but when, and if, the home visit is actually done will be up to his PO. I hope it is completed, with an approval, in time for his release. Best of luck.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 AM

My boyfriend is being released March 3rd from a firecamp. he says his interstate compact has been approved. How soon after he is releaseddoes he have to leave to the receiving state?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. I don't know the answer, but he will be told when to report there before he is released.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. I completely understand your frustration, but when, and if, the home visit is actually done will be up to his PO. I hope it is completed, with an approval, in time for his release. Best of luck.
Hello there. Thank you for the reply. Well, the PO came last night and she was quite pleasant and approved the home! She just wanted to see that he had a bed to sleep in and that my parent's were fine with him living with us. That's it. She didn't check anything else out. I am SO excited! 15 days as of tomorrow. Per NY State rules, we have to report within 24hrs; so we're currently trying to determine plane/train/drive because his facility supervisor said we could choose. She said it's okay for inmates to fly b/c they'll be issued an ID and to her knowledge no one has had issues before. So they really can fly to transfer down? I just want to double check before I go and by non-refundable tickets. :yikes:
The Following User Says Thank You to scheshire For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Great news that his home plan was approved. The answer to how he can travel is very system specific, so his counselor will be his best source of information. In federal prison I could travel any way I wanted to go, and my reporting time was based on when I would actually arrive there, by whichever means I chose. The prisoner was required to pay the entire cost of any alternative transportation (I would have been given a free bus ticket, but chose to take AMTRAK instead. No more busses for me, ever).

I hope he not only gets to choose how to travel, but also that the prison pays for it too.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 PM

Default Interstate Compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
Spent 4 hours on the agreement today, last weeks date was wrong. I cant possible explain the changes. All states besides MASS are part of the now Federal Laws that govern the Insterstate Compact. I'll help anyone understand the inside scoop if they ask specific questions. This is a proffesional hobby of mine so, I think I'll have the best up to date info on ANY states guidlines. It is now standard and legal in all states but MASS.
i am just finding out about this and would like to know for my brother who is in Los Angeles Pitchess serving the rest of his time which is 4 months. It's says that you must submit these forms 120 days prior to release but some are saying the parole officer does it. How can that be when you don't get a parole officer until you are released? So my brother fills out the forms? And if so where does he submit them ... He is trying to come live with me in Hawaii he has no home there in LA any longer... Can you please help me through this process ... He got 3 years parole but his crime was a low risk so he is doing time in county? Thank you for any help you can offer... Which forms does my brother fill out?
Old 12-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. Your brother needs to make an attempt to apply for an interstate compact parole transfer through his counselor (? whatever) in the LA County Jail. He, or you if he is unable to do it himself, should also contact the parole office that is scheduled to supervise his case and find out from them what needs to be done, and when it needs to be done, to initiate the IC transfer process to Hawaii. If he is unable to apply before he is released from the jail, he may need to wait until he meets with his PO. But having the application processed, and hopefully approved, while he is still in jail would be a better solution.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 PM

Default Transfer Parole from CA to IN

My children's father got in some trouble while visiting California and is incarcerated in Golden State in McFarland, CA. He wants to parole home to be here in Indiana with his children and I but he asked his counselor and they said it would take 6-9 months and he gets out April 1, 2015. Is there anything I can do to get this going? Everything I have read says the sending state submits the application- is there any other way to do this? Please help...
Old 02-04-2015, 05:31 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,138 Times in 7,695 Posts

no, it's going to take the time it takes. He should have started the process earlier.

It's based on an agreement between states. The receiving state has to actually agree to take the parolee before the other state can or will release him to the custody of that state (as a parolee, not an inmate - he could have attempted interstate compact at an earlier juncture, to get to IN in the penal system, not as a parolee).

It doesn't matter what you do. His application is just added to the stack of aps that Indiana has to consider and make a decision upon.

His odds of actually succeeding increase if he has family in the receiving state, has a job waiting for him, etc. If he has no place to stay and nothing to do, and just a girlfriend in the state, expect the ap to be rejected. So, you can't speed things up, but you can increase his chances of getting to IN by helping to secure a home, employment, visitation schedule with his kids, etc. Make sure he has as much of a relationship that he can possibly have with his kids NOW. The more integral he is in their lives, the better.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,034 Posts

Was he simply VISITING CA when he got arrested? As in had a house, driver license, etc in another state? If so he may be eligible for a mandatory transfer home within seven days of release. Check with his counselor.
The Following User Says Thank You to southernsarah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-05-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsarah View Post
Was he simply VISITING CA when he got arrested? As in had a house, driver license, etc in another state? If so he may be eligible for a mandatory transfer home within seven days of release. Check with his counselor.

He had been there for about 6 months prior to getting in trouble but never had his own place or established residency- he is still a resident of Indiana and has a Driver's License here.

I have actually gotten some progress. His restitution had to be paid before they would file the transfer paperwork- so I got that done last week. Now as soon as they have the zero balance letter his counselor will file the paperwork.

My question now is whether he will have to report to Palm Springs, CA (where the offense occurred) or whether they let him get right on a bus and come back to Indiana if all is approved before his release? Anyone have any idea?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Default Interstate to oregon

My son submitted paperwork to his PO in April for an interstate transfer. It was submitted to interstate and Texas approved it and sent it to Oregon. They did a home visit to our home in June. Unfortunately, I was on vacation. They came back in mid July and the PO said home is approved but she was waiting for additional information from Texas. Texas told my son they were gathering the info Oregon wanted ( which they seemed surprised they needed so much) Three weeks ago my son talked to his PO and she found out all requested info had been sent. How long can they take before making a decision? He was told that we should not call interstate , that it would push us back to the beginning of the process. Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

It will take as long as it takes for OR to decide. If they already have all of the information they requested, it shouldn't be long. I hope it is approved soon.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Parole Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith74mom View Post
My son submitted paperwork to his PO in April for an interstate transfer. It was submitted to interstate and Texas approved it and sent it to Oregon. They did a home visit to our home in June. Unfortunately, I was on vacation. They came back in mid July and the PO said home is approved but she was waiting for additional information from Texas. Texas told my son they were gathering the info Oregon wanted ( which they seemed surprised they needed so much) Three weeks ago my son talked to his PO and she found out all requested info had been sent. How long can they take before making a decision? He was told that we should not call interstate , that it would push us back to the beginning of the process. Thoughts?
Under the rules, once the gaining state has accepted the investigation, they have 30 days to approve/disapprove the plan.

However, in my experience with Oregon, they are slow moving when it comes to anything. I've had a few offenders that had Oregon cases, that the Oregon PO never bothered submitting the ICOTS paperwork.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-24-2015), keith74mom (08-24-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 PM

[quote=Searcher;684629]Spent 4 hours on the agreement today, last weeks date was wrong. I cant possible explain the changes. All states besides MASS are part of the now Federal Laws that govern the Insterstate Compact. I'll help anyone understand the inside scoop if they ask specific questions. This is a proffesional hobby of mine so, I think I'll have the best up to date info on ANY states guidlines. It is now standard and legal in all states but MASS.[/QUOB-)TE]

Hello my son came to Texas in 2006 he got in trouble in July 2008 and he quickly returned to Arkansas in December 2008. He got into trouble in 2012 and Texas found out and went down and scooped him up and incarcerated him now he has been approved parole but Arkansas denied the interstate compact yet the rules indicate if you're a resident then it a mandatory acceptance. And he was living in Arkansas at the time he was sentenced so how can they deny him?
Old 09-10-2015, 03:51 PM

They might be denying him under Rule 3.101c, substantial compliance. If he violated, then he was not in substantial compliance with the terms of supervision, so they denied the transfer. But based on the lack of information you provided, it's harder to really give you any more than a guess.