Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
~Hubby's Home~

Default Out of State Transfers through the Interstate Compact Agreement

Steps for requesting an Out of County transfer
  • Approximately 150 days prior to the release date from state prison an inmate will fill out a 611 form which is the information of where they will be paroling to.
  • On the 611 form a check mark needs to be placed in the box “Out Of County Transfer”.
  • Once the forms are signed by the inmate, the counselor will send it off to the records department. At that time records will make copies for the Inmate’s Central file, and mail all the originals to the County in which the Inmate last resided.
  • Allow at least two weeks for the region to receive the parole packet.
  • The packet will make it to the Re – Entry department at the Parole Headquarters.
  • Within 21 days the packet will then be sent out to the Parole Office in the city or, within 35 miles from where the inmate last lived. Once this region sees that the inmate is seeking a transfer to another county, they will fill out a TIR (Transfer Investigation Report) to be sent to the new region.
  • The unit where the inmate last resided near will set Special conditions of parole (if required) and send them to the inmate to sign at the Institution. The conditions will be sent along with the TIR. And yes, the new region can modify changes to the parole conditions based on there need to.
  • The files will be entered into the system by a clerk, then given to a supervisor to go over and assign to an agent.
  • The time period that is allowed is 15 working days the most.
  • An agent will then contact the person listed on the 611 form that has the residence where the parolee is trying to get transferred to. You will be asked a series of questions (see below). This does not always happen first, the agent may just show up at the residence unexpected.
  • The parole agent will come out and speak to the person(s) living in the home, ask if you are aware of the controlling commitment offense that the inmate is currently in prison for, and past history.
  • Once the agent does the home visit, they will take it back to the unit and go over the file with the Supervisor. A decision is usually made immediately, or within a few days.
  • If the transfer is approved it will be sent to back to the prior region “approved”, at that time then the region will send over the entire file to the new region where the parolee will reside.
Note: this whole process from the time the prison mails off the Parole packet will take up to 2 months before the requested region will get the paperwork. It all depends on how backed up the parole units are.

Frequently Asked Questions about Out Of County Transfer:

Do you need to be married? Preferably, but not required, the agent will ask this question.
Are you going to financially be supporting the parolee? The agent will ask this question. On the form 611 the inmate can list if they have employment plans upon release from Prison. If so, listing the names and numbers of the employers will help.

Can sex offenders get an out of county transfer? Of course they can request to be, but it’s all up to the unit whether they feel the move will be a positive or a negative impact on the chances of the parolee discharging parole.

Do you have to have a residence established before the inmate paroles? Yes, you do. This is why they do a home visit they want to see who is living there, what are the living conditions, etc.

Headquarters Locations & Phone Numbers

Region I Parole Headquarters
9825 Goethe Road, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95827-2572
(916) 255-2758

Region II Parole Headquarters
1515 Clay Street, 10th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 622-4701

Region III Parole Headquarters
320 West 4th Street, Suite 1000
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 576-6500

Region IV Parole Headquarters
21015 Pathfinder Road, Suite 200
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
(909) 468-2300

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out-Of-State Transfers (Interstate Compact Agreement)

For more information concerning parole transfers out of state, please visit:

http://www.adultcompact.org

Or if you would like to get answers to questions, please post in the PTO Probation & Parole Forum sticky under "Interstate Compact Agreement"
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to kristinam79 For This Useful Post:
209CaLiGiRl (10-26-2010), benoit (09-13-2009), BUTTERFLY81 (11-13-2008), Doll Eyes (06-20-2012), His Future (06-22-2012), hisluv14 (02-12-2015), ksan (08-12-2009), luckeyme (12-23-2012), luvh20play (11-08-2010), luvn2bratz4life (12-04-2010), Morgansbabygirl (04-15-2009), Rhonda36 (05-12-2010), serviceman78 (07-07-2012), Txrgh (01-22-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Parole Question

Hi:

My fiance is in the Sierra Conservation Prison in Jamestown, CA. November 7 is his release date and he will be on parole until May, 2008. He believes that he will not be able to transfer his parole to KS, which is where I currently reside and where we both intend to reside, until I come to CA and we get married there. Do you know or know how I can find out if he could get a furlough here for a couple of weeks so we could get married and then he could go back to CA until his parole transfer is complete?

Thanks, Faith
Old 11-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Joined at the heart!

Here is a quote I got off another thread:

RULE 3.101 Mandatory transfer of supervision
At the discretion of the sending state, an offender shall be eligible for transfer of supervision to a
receiving state under the compact, and the receiving state shall accept transfer, if the offender:
(a) has more than 90 days or an indefinite period of supervision remaining; and
(b) has a valid plan of supervision; and
(c) is in substantial compliance with the terms of supervision in the sending state; and
(d) is a resident of the receiving state; or
(e) (1) has resident family in the receiving state who have indicated a willingness and ability
to assist as specified in the plan of supervision; and
(2) can obtain employment in the receiving state or has a visible means of support.
PASSED: Effective January 1, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmarie
Hi:

My fiance is in the Sierra Conservation Prison in Jamestown, CA. November 7 is his release date and he will be on parole until May, 2008. He believes that he will not be able to transfer his parole to KS, which is where I currently reside and where we both intend to reside, until I come to CA and we get married there. Do you know or know how I can find out if he could get a furlough here for a couple of weeks so we could get married and then he could go back to CA until his parole transfer is complete?

Thanks, Faith

Dusty’s Lady

HE'S HOME!!
As of July 25, 2007!!
And I am STILL loving it!!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

I wonder if they are looking for "residence" to be a legally established residence... which usually takes some period of time to do. We thought about moving out of state when he gets out. Will they consider a residence move as an established residence? Hmmmm.....
Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Joined at the heart!

I don't think so. We are staying in California until he gets off parole. As soon as that happens, we are out of here! Just have to figure out where!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHaul
I wonder if they are looking for "residence" to be a legally established residence... which usually takes some period of time to do. We thought about moving out of state when he gets out. Will they consider a residence move as an established residence? Hmmmm.....

Dusty’s Lady

HE'S HOME!!
As of July 25, 2007!!
And I am STILL loving it!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Have questions about release documents and travel time

Hello,

I am not certain that I am in the correct place or using the correct method, so please forgive me, if I goof.

My son is in Soledad and we anticipate his release to be in January. He has requested and received permission to serve his probation time here in Florida with us, his parents. What documents will he be given when he is released? Will he have a picture ID so that he can fly to Florida? We do not know how much time he will be given to travel from California to Florida. We are elderly and cannot go to get him. He will not have adequate funds to rent a car or have a credit card. How do we get him here?

He says he has asked but no one seems to have any answers. Where shall I begin to check for answers? Florida has none. I will be grateful for any help or pointers.

Best to all,
Elaine
Old 11-30-2007, 11:49 AM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaufman
Hello,

I am not certain that I am in the correct place or using the correct method, so please forgive me, if I goof.

My son is in Soledad and we anticipate his release to be in January. He has requested and received permission to serve his probation time here in Florida with us, his parents. What documents will he be given when he is released? Will he have a picture ID so that he can fly to Florida? We do not know how much time he will be given to travel from California to Florida. We are elderly and cannot go to get him. He will not have adequate funds to rent a car or have a credit card. How do we get him here?

He says he has asked but no one seems to have any answers. Where shall I begin to check for answers? Florida has none. I will be grateful for any help or pointers.

Best to all,
Elaine
If his old ID is not valid anymore you may have a problem. I don't think they give him an ID, the only thing they do give them is a Social Security Card if he didn't have his at the time of arrest. I may be wrong though - they just might provide this also.

The only option you would have is to send him money through Western Union - I would send it about a week before he's released, if it's under 1,000.00 they don't have to show ID IF when you send it you fill out the question/answer part so that would be his varification and also send him the transfer number. He could then catch a greyhound bus back home. Just make sure you do this in time to tell him the transfer number and what your question was and the answer also. I think they give them five days to travel.

Sure hope someone else has more knowledge to help you.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

I do not think they even give out SS cards anymore. My late fiance got out of SQ in Feb. and all he had was his ID from there. They did not give him any other ID.

As for Greyhound some stations now also ask for ID. I found this out durning the summer when my late fiance was traveling around a lot looking for work. As for the Western Union yes they can pick it up with out ID all you have to do is give them the info above. They have to have the answer to the question and the number to get it.

If you have his ID you might want to call R&R and ask if you can put it in with his Dress Outs so he can have it to travel with. I am not sure if you can do that or not.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaa
I do not think they even give out SS cards anymore. My late fiance got out of SQ in Feb. and all he had was his ID from there. They did not give him any other ID.

As for Greyhound some stations now also ask for ID. I found this out durning the summer when my late fiance was traveling around a lot looking for work. As for the Western Union yes they can pick it up with out ID all you have to do is give them the info above. They have to have the answer to the question and the number to get it.

If you have his ID you might want to call R&R and ask if you can put it in with his Dress Outs so he can have it to travel with. I am not sure if you can do that or not.
You may be right about the ID for Greyhound - things change. I do know that if the family were to buy the ticket for him he would only have to give that reference number when picking up his ticket. My son did this about two weeks ago.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

The ID was different at every Greyhound station he went to. It was funny when he was at the Port Authority in NYC they never asked for ID, but when he was in a small town in upstate NY they did. I guess it is just a hit or miss with that.

Another thing if you buy the ticket for him and have it waiting for him they charge you a extra $15 for that.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I expected him to call this weekend but he did not. Everything he had with him when he was arrested was returned to his attorney and then to us. He has told me that if I send his drivers license or anything like that to him that he will get into trouble so I am just waiting but tryng to learn and get ready. I think I can buy a bus ticket online and have it ready for him. We can set up a code for him to answer questions when asked. I can send money via Western Union. I will give an update here when I learn anything. It may be of help to somebody.
Thanks, again, Elaine
Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Masters Degree 3/30/08
Donation Award 

Thanks so much for this information. I pickup my fiance this weekend and our question was...

-Will he need a SS card to take to the DMV? I don't have his SS Card, I do have his birth cert.
-Will they give him something to take?
-He will need some way to get his DL - they have expired and he will have to take the test.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Received more information from Parole Agent

Hi, Everybody,
The Parole Agent that would have been in charge of him if he were to stay in California called me and we discussed the situation. She told me that to fly would be the best solution. She said that he will be given a picture ID when he leaves the prison. I am not positive that she is correct about that because she seemed a little uncertain. She told me to arrange a flight for him to leave California on the day he is released. She said they would get him to the San Jose airport. She also told me that I needed to send him "dress out" clothes and that nothing could be blue in color. She gave me the address and told me how to label the package so that it would be noticed as "dress out". Then she called the next day and told me to include his drivers license in the package, even if it was expired. He is due to call on Saturday so I will wait for him to give me sizes and I will put the package together. Also, she sent a fax to the people that will be receiving him here in Florida to let them know when to expect him. I did buy him a plane ticket and will include all that information the package. So, it seems that we have moved a little further along and I am still keeping my fingers crossed that it will go smoothly.

Thanks, again, for all the help you guys have given me and I will keep you aware of everything until the very end.

Elaine
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Make sure your son knows that he's going to have to spend a bit longer in the security line because of the expired license. When I tried to fly the day after mine expired two months ago, I had to go to the airline's ticket counter, let them know my license had expired, and then they printed a new ticket showing I needed extra screening because of my license. I had to be wanded and all that extra baloney. So if his license is expired, he's going to need to be there just a little bit earlier. Try and make sure his flight is one of the last of the day. It gives a bit more leeway for the prison to get him there in plenty of time.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

I am not sure about putting ID in with the dress outs. When I sent some dress out earlier this year to SQ I was told by R&R that I was not able to put his ID in with the dress outs. Also I sent in blue jeans and a blue shirt. You might want to call R&R at the prison and check what their rules are just so you know that everything you send is ok. Every prison is different on what they allow and do not allow. I have also been told that some prisons require a special form sent to you by the inmate on the package, so again your best bet would be to call R&R and check what thier policies are.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:27 PM

Hi, Everybody,

Well, we are through with that part of our journey. He had to fly because he was only allowed one day to go from California to Florida. He was not issued any sort of photo ID by the state for that purpose. He had sneaked his prison ID in a book just to insure his ability to get on a plane. At the time, we were not certain whether the driver's license I had sent to his counselor would make it through the system. It did so he had two forms of ID to get on the plane. I had been directed to send the driver's license but had a lot of difficulty getting through to the counselor to confirm that she would receive it and take it to RNR. The California Parole agent told me to purchase the plane ticket and the time I should choose.

So, he is here and during the past week, we have been able to get him a current driver's license, a social security card, bonded for work through a federal bonding program (that was free of charge) plus a few job hunting clothes. Now, he has to start looking for a job full time.

I want to thank all of you who were so helpful and I wish you tons of good luck in your journey through this crisis.

Best wishes to all,
Elaine
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:
anthonyswife808 (02-10-2011)
Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 PM
pRiSoNeR Of LoVe

Ok So From My Understanding The Inmate Can't Transfer Out Of State Unless His Full Restitution Is Paid Is That Correct? And If So How Can I Find Out How Much He Owes, I Called The Prison And They Said He Has To Find Out But My Husband At The Moment Is Being Hard Headed.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM

Default I hope this is the right place...Dad just paroled yesterday....

....and I feel like I should have done a little more research before this happened but I'm hoping to provide some assistance after the fact.

My dad has an immigration hold so we weren't even sure if he would be deported or not. It appears that he is not being deported, even though he is a 3rd strike offender.

He has me (600 miles away so not of a lot of assistance since I have my own family to care for) and my aunt, his sister who is somewhat close.

He was paroled to a county that he knows no one in...he has nothing and knows nobody. He wants to go live with my aunt in another county, but after reading this, I think he should have applied for county transfer before he was released!

He meets with his PO on Wednesday (today is Monday)...to find out if he can transfer. Is it the sort of thing that he has to wait for months to find out the answer? If so, what do we do in the meantime....find him some transitional living or sober living? I can't figure out anything else.

Now that I read this, I think we could have put in the request earlier. I hope its not too late. My aunt put him up in a Motel for a few days until we figure this all out, but we can't afford that on a daily basis, nor do I think it is safe.

Anyone experience something similar?

Also, based on his second felony, he has to register under Megan's law...which further limits his living situation from what I understand.

I feel a little overwhelmed but I'm more concerned that my dad will feel overwhelmed and he just got out. Any advice will be helpful! Thanks!

SparkleShan
Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM

When my Hubby was released they did not and would not give him an ID. When I called the airline to book the flight from LA to Oregon they said what to bring but to expect the security searches. My advice is to contact the airline or amtrak or greyhound... they actually deal with this all of the time because released inmates don't receive anything but their parole papers. DON'T SEND ID to the PRISON!!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~TrUeLoVe~*~ View Post
Ok So From My Understanding The Inmate Can't Transfer Out Of State Unless His Full Restitution Is Paid Is That Correct? And If So How Can I Find Out How Much He Owes, I Called The Prison And They Said He Has To Find Out But My Husband At The Moment Is Being Hard Headed.
Tell your Husband to request the interstate compact out of state transfer from his counselor, at that point the counselor will tell him that he has to have his restitution paid and should give your Hubby an accounting. Sometimes the yard counselors know little to nothing of the process... I ended up going over his head to the CCIII (I think that's right) and got the ball rolling. You need to get this started at least 6 months before release... the counselor can't make the official request that soon but it will take CDCR a long time to get this done and you have to ride them ALL the way... at least that was my experience.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:07 PM

Default Help - Denied Parole Transfer

Hi Everyone,

I do not know if I am posting this in the right thread, but I have a parole question. I have been with my boyfriend for 13 years and we have a son together but we are not married, he was arrested when we lived in Sacramento county but since he has been in I moved to southern ca in orange county I got a great job offer that I could not pass up, he is to be released on aug 11 and I have been frantically working on getting his parole transferred here. He has chose to go into a AA program when he is released and everything was in order for him to go to one. The parole officer came out to my house a few weeks ago and went over everything with me, I thought everything was going to be fine. I got a call today saying the transferred was denied! because he has no family ties here. I am soooo upset he will have no where to go when he is released he will basically be homeless in Sacramento. Does anyone know information on how hard it is to transfer his parole after being released or is that even possible.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer I am so sad right now only a few more weeks and he still won't be able to come home to his family
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear what has happen to you. The same exact thing happen to my guy back in Oct. He had no where to parole to casue his mom passed away while he was in and his sister told him he could not parole to the house his mom owned. We found him a program in a neighboring county that he was accepted in, he had a job lined up in that city, and people there that were willing to help him. His parole agent and that office approved the transfer but the accepting county denied it. We had the person who ran the program trying to change the outcome, we had letters written by the people who were going to give him a job. Nothing would work. We were not able to change their minds at all. He had to go back to the county he was from. He lucked out and found a friend that was willing to take him in for a bit, and his sister ended up in her own trouble so he was able to go back to his moms home, but still to this day he has not been able to find work and that is making it hard for us since I am in NY. I have to support two households right now. You can always try again when he is released but getting transfers between counties seems to be getting harder and harder lately.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM

Thank you so much! They said they won't do it because of no family ties I thought his son would be considered a family tie, one of the two different parole officers that have been working on his case since Orange County received it said If we got married an produced a marraige certificate that might work....I don't know this is so fustrating!! I hope your situation gets better I will keep you in my prayers
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Anthony's Mom

I went through a similar situation with my ex-husband. We did get married. We did not have a child together. Once we were married, we put together a package, a letter from a guy willing to hire him, a letter from the out patient program saying he was set to start treatment there when the transfer went through, and a letter from the guy that owned a sober living house accepting him there.

Previously the receiving parole unit had told my husband specifically that they would DENY any transfer that he put in and being married did not matter. We put together the package and they APPROVED it.

There is a rule. I think it is called the 5% Rule. This maybe old information ... hopefully someone will correct me if this is not true anymore, but it used to be that only 5% of the parolees in any county could be out of county transfers. There are a few counties in california that ALWAYS are at the limit, and so the counties are "closed" to transfers. If that is the case there is no way no how to get a transfer to that county.

I agree with you that your child should be family enough. I would try and try again. Try to get as much supporting documentation and keep records. You might have to appeal it to a higher level and you will want all the support you can get.

"God's will won't ever take you where Gods grace cannot protect you."

"A successful corrections system doesn't grow, if they were correcting anybody, they'd shrink." ~Stephen Richards
The Following User Says Thank You to Harv*sGirl For This Useful Post:
angel74 (08-01-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 02:16 AM

The requirement for family relationship in the receiving county is so the family member can provide financial assistance if neccessary. A child can not provide the financial assistance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLS For This Useful Post:
angel74 (08-01-2009), Harv*sGirl (08-01-2009), mrs.grumps (07-30-2009)
Closed Thread