Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 PM
So Confused....

Default ANOTHER Tropical Storm!!!

Okay, I just have to vent for a minute here! I am completely sick and tired of tropical storms and hurricanes!!! I am in NW Florida for anyone that's wondering. In Pensacola. So yeah, last year we had to deal with the Hurricane Ivan, which completely screwed everything up here. We still haven't recovered from that! There are still soooo many people without roofs on their houses, and things like that. Then about a month ago, we had tropical storm Arlene. Which, it didn't do much, just rain, but it really made everyone anxious around here. Now we have tropical storm Cyndi expected to hit sometime tonight. It's not supposed to hit us directly, but it is still a possibility. Still more rain. And then, as if that weren't enough, there is tropical storm Dennis down there that may come this way. And it could possibly turn into a hurricane. Knowing our luck around here, it will be a hurricane and will hit right around here!! I hate these dang storms!! Why won't they just leave us alone???? Okay, sorry, just had to get that out.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:19 PM

Girl we will gladly take the rain for ya'll. It is so hot and dry here. Don't want a hurricane but we can handle a tropical storm.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 PM
The Manslave

If you'd like to get away to OZ we'll put you up till it blows over. We got room. Dry less windy room.
What do I do to get my joy back, how do I get my respect back, will I love another someday, can I trust him/her again. The Bible says that victory is given to those that overcome, by the power of the blood and by the word of my testimony... Today I am a living testimony.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:39 PM
So Confused....

LOL I would gladly give away the rain. And I would enjoy a trip to OZ. Anything but constant storms!! It's just so sad. Every time I sit here watching the Weather Channel and they talk about how bad things look for Pensacola, I just start tearing up. I know I sound like a baby, but there is only so much a community can handle! Plus, let me tell you, it's kinda scary to sit through these storms alone, not knowing what to expect!
Old 07-05-2005, 08:21 PM

Slashley, I know what you mean I am in Fla. too, and last years hurricaine Jeanne reaked havok for me, and my kids A huge oak tree smashed into my bedroom, and luckily I moved rite next door. There are people still living in FEMA trailors, I met a lady at the electric co. who still lives in one. I hope they secure those for in case any bad ones come around this year And the bad thing is the bermuda high that's supposed to be out there, will direct them strait to us again At least that's what weather man Steve Jerby said , lol
And I have more oak trees to worry about living here
Sorry, I had to vent too when I read this.
Good luck !!!!!

Last edited by SCM32; 07-05-2005 at 08:25 PM..
Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 PM
So Confused....

SCM, feel free to vent! LOL this is the dang weather venting thread! I should have named it something different I guess! Yeah, we still have a lot of people in FEMA trailers. We have many parking lots that have become FEMA trailer parks. SOOO many blue roofs. Luckily I didn't have too much damage from the hurricane. Just some water damage, no biggie, not compared to a lot of people. I work with juveniles and go to their houses, and they are usually the low-income neighborhoods. I feel so bad for these people because their houses are still a wreck and it just won't quit flooding! And the drainage system is all messed up here from Ivan, so whenever it rains a couple of inches, the streets are flooded. We are expected to get anywhere from 2-6 inches tonight. That means driving through horrible flooded streets to work tomorrow! I just saw on the Weather Channel that we have had a surplus of over 21 inches of rain this year. And it is only halfway over! Won't it ever quit?? I'm tired of being under tropical storm warnings and flood watches!!! (sorry, still venting!)
Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 AM
GO Yankees!!

Slashy, I do feel for you guys in Fl...we get alot of the rain up here in birmingham. we lost our power last year with Ivan....it is raining here today and suppose to all day and then i was watching the weather and there is hurricane dennis making his way up here and suppose to be around next week when it hits...I have some friends that live in the perdido key area and they say they are still trying to get all the mess cleaned up.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:59 PM
So Confused....

Blueyez, yeah, Perdido Key did get it hard in Ivan. my aunt has a condo there, and it was pretty well messed up. That's how a lot of P'cola still is also.

Yeah, here we go again with Dennis!! I HATE storms!! Hurricanes are worse!! there are people all talking about evacuating and stuff. My university is thinking about closing on Mon. and possibly Tues. I don't know. i'm just not ready for another hurricane!! I have been glued to the Weather Channel. They still haven't told me anything new lately. It looks like it will hit on Monday morning as of right now. Of course P'Cola is right in the projected path....ONCE AGAIN!!! The Weather Channel keeps mentioning P'Cola and how unfortunate we are with the weather lately. I wish they would just leave it alone. I always have to fight off the teary eyes, literally. And the worst part about the storm coming? Now this is really selfish, but it means that I won't get to go to visitation on Sunday!! Even if I were able to get there and not have to worry about the weather, I would be fighting evacuation traffic when I returned! It was supposed to be our last visitation and we have a lot of stuff that we still need to cover before he gets out in a little over 2 weeks! I amso upset about that!! I HATE HURRICANES!!! Okay, forgive me, I'm still venting about this stupid weather. I can't help it!
Old 07-07-2005, 09:32 AM
GO Yankees!!

Yeah...i was watching the weather this morning and they said we could get the wind and rain and possibly some tornados from this hurricane...I was hoping it would fizzle out but i don't guess that will happen. I hate that you will miss visitaiton sun. that is a bummer.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
So Confused....

Yeah, so now it's expected to turn into a category 3 hurricane today. That's what Ivan was, and it was really bad for us. I am getting scared. I'm thinking about evacuating, but I don't know where. I could go to my parents, but i went there during Ivan and there were tornadoes there. It was still pretty scary. The biggest difference between tornadoes and hurricanes is that a hurricane may wreck one house, yet leave the one next to it completely unharmed. With a tornado, everything in it's path is destroyed, yet the path is smaller thanthat of a hurricane. I can't tell you that i would rather have one that the other. I jsut don't want either!!

Blueyez, I wish you the best of luck with the weather. I hope you don't get any tornadoes cause they aren't fun. And yes, I am upset about visitation. Mainly just because i know he's the only one that can calm me down in stressful situations. Obviously, a hurricane is a pretty stressful situation. Besides, I hate to say this, but just in case something happens to me during the storm, I would like to see him one last time....

Yeah, I know that sounds pretty crazy, but you just don't understand how people around here freak out about these storms. We have a lot less trees than before Ivan, so the impact could potentially be worse on houses and things without the trees to serve as a buffer. Plus, there are tons of dead limbs in trees still fromIvan, so they could very easily get picked up and be thrown like torpedos (sp?) through windows, etc. Hopefully I'm freaking out for nothing, but I still have to freak out. I'm a worrier. That's what I do.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Account Closed

slashley i know how u feel about all these hurricanes i live in milton and am scared also i know whats its like to be alone during a hurricane its scary.its just me and my daughter here and no way of getting anywhere.i got very lucky and didnt get to much damage but how many more can we go thru.enough is enough
Old 07-08-2005, 08:52 AM
GO Yankees!!

slashy, i was watching the news this morning and dennis is a cat. 4 now. I just hope he loses steam when he goes over land today and doesn't pick anymore strength back up. The weather man said up her we could see wind gust from 50-70mph some flooding and some isolated tornados....not fun and they are saying alot of power outages. Our power was out for 2 days (not that bad compared to some who's was out for several weeks) I hate that it is following ivans path.

You are right, I don't want the hurricane or tornado. both are bad. I wish Dennis would just fizzle out and i know you do too. I think they are going to reverse I-65 south into north for the people coming up from florida. I think the governor is suppose to meet about that today. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that ya'll don't have alot of damage or lose power. So, have you got to talk to your guy about sun?