Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 PM

Default Are clothes bought through commissary state property?

So my fiance called me the other saying he got a misconduct in him. I put money on his account a while back and he bought a shirt well he said he made the shirt less hot for him to wear for outside. Well the co stated he destroyed state property And said he called the co a dick head. He said he didn't call the co anything and he has the others to back him on that and he asked the sargaent in the morning about it and he said my fiance never would do that and he said he's never heard or seen my fiance act out the whole time he's been there. Well my fiance called me stating he's either going to the hole or is going to be confined to his cell. So I won't be hearing from for awhile. He is working to get that write over turned. My fiance parole review is in Sept and he thinks they are trying to make sure he doesn't get parole. This is his first misconduct or write up he's never gotten any in any of the other places he's been at or here at Albion.

My question is is it state property if u buy ur own shirt from ur account and do something to it? And u really can get in trouble for it? Any advice would be great my fiance is in Albion

Last edited by jlkkk2001; 07-10-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,346 Times in 12,871 Posts

I've never heard pf that happening. Hopefully if it was overreach by the CO, the charge will be dismissed at the hearing. The problem is right and wrong rarely matter in prison kangaroo courts.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM

If he purchased shirt from outside there should be a paper trail to show his order, the package room receipt, all to show it wasn’t state issue. During hearing all this should come out. Wishes for a positive outcome!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:49 AM

You really are not supposed to alter any clothing either yours or state's property. Many reasons for this.

It is possible that the CO assumed the shirt he was wearing was a state issued and was in line to say he was not to alter state issued clothing. To receive a write up for something like this only should not be too big of a factor come parole hearing

However --

The second part of the write up could be more major and that is being disrespectful to the CO. If it is proven that he was. He will need to speak with his counselor and see where this goes.

He will more than likely have a hearing about the misconduct and at that time will be able to speak about what took place and then a decision will be made.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 AM

Good morning, you bring up a multi layered question.

Ok I can only speak from how my prison operates. Yes if an inmate buys a t-shirt it is considered his property. BUT we also have a policy that clothes cannot be altered in anyway. No cutoff shirts, no hoodies, no zip up hoodies, no extra pockets. If we find altered clothing we take it and it gets destroyed. We can write an infraction for it too.

Having altered clothing is really not a reason for someone to go into the SHU, unless of course it's an inmate making a CO's uniform or making a mask or something of that nature that would compromise the safety or security of the prison. In your case it sounds like he just cut off the sleeves, or altered it in some similar way. As for the verbal argument, he really is on the losing end of whatever battle it is. It is going to be his word vs the CO's if he did or did not call the CO a "dickhead".

If he has really been a model inmate and never received an infraction until this one I don't really see them targeting him to deny him parole. Did he or did he not alter the shirt? sounds like he did, that's on him and he should have known it is against the rules. As for the words exchanged.....well that's up to the hearing officer if they want to proceed further and at what level punishment, if any.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:21 PM

The last phone call i got was July 5th I haven't heard from him since so I don't know what is happening or what he got or what is happening with him. I don't know when I will hear from him again . And thank you to everyone who responded knowing that is good to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlkkk2001 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 04:58 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,346 Times in 12,871 Posts

If he got into trouble from a conduct violation, letters may be his only means of communication.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:57 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,271 Posts

The OP sent me a PM with the same questions, so I'll reiterate here for the rest of the forum:

The prohibition on altering clothing is meant for state-issued items but can extend to anything. Also, commissary-purchased T-shirts may well be identical to state-issued T-shirts so there's no way to prove the difference.

The clothing charge is petty and wouldn't result in more than confiscation and warning through the informal resolution process. The additional charge of using abusive language to staff is a bit more serious but still not RHU material.

The PBPP probably won't harp on this. if they didn't intend to parole him, this will be among the excuses. If they intended to parole him, this won;t change their minds.

From a purely behavior standpoint, this kind of low-level event is evidence that someone hasn't become fully "institutionalized." The idea behind what the DOC calls "positive institutional adjustment" really means the person has learned how to be a good prisoner, and that doesn't correlate to their future behavior upon release. I think it's actually better to let the PBPP see that you're still a little human.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Just an update he called he said he got 3 days for the shirt and 4 days for calling a co a name so he was in confinment for 7 days but now he is no longer and is able to call now thank god. Thanks to all who replied
The Following User Says Thank You to jlkkk2001 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-19-2019)