Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

SOUTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of South Dakota - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Prison Visitation, Prison Mail & Phones, News & Information, etc.

Old 10-05-2002, 08:51 PM

Default South Dakota

Hello. I am currently in South Dakota. I have been here for almost a year. My boyfriend John was sentenced to 57 months in the federal prison. He was transfered to Colorado a few months ago. It is incrediably boring here. I know only those I work with. I have no family here. Anyone who is in South Dakota.. I would love to hear from. I am in Flandreau. About 30 miles north of Sioux Falls
Old 10-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Always Special in our heart..

LOL Michele! I used to live and go to school in South Dakota. Although I am from Montana and grew up there I went to a private school ouside of Miller, South Dakota. I'm trying to recall the area and I'm guessing that Miller is about an hour from where you are. Oh how I remember the 'boring' part!! When I was 18, I packed two suitcases and decided to find 'excitement' in the world and came to Connecticut. Did I find excitment?... No, but I found home!!

Look forward to hearing from you more!

Pamela
Old 10-05-2002, 09:31 PM

Default South Dakota

I know why there are no young people are here... they pack 2 suitcases and BAIL OUT!!! ...... Im still looking for "home" but it will happen
Old 10-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Always Special in our heart..

Ha Ha...yep I was 18 and thought I knew EVERYTHING, now I'm 33 and realize I know nothing!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:06 PM

Im 34 and made full circle....I learned it all but did it anyway, now Im back to square one..... Im dizzy
Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Account Closed

Hey!
i Grew up in Iowa, went to college in SD - Madison, grad in 1974. i have always felt that SD was more of a home to me than anywhere else that i have been! it is a great state, but you folks are right - most people seem to just want to leave it! Dakota State College at Madison (as it was called then) was a 'suitcase' college - on weekend, you were lucky to find 2 people on a floor in the dorm! the rest had gone home for the weekend! Even the cafeteria closed for the weekends! those of us who stayed had to eat at the student union! LOL.
but really, i miss SD. i have not been back in decades and have friends that i have left there (Arlington in particular) and miss them dearly at times.

so keep you chin up, and stop all of tha twirling - one might think that you joined the Muslems and become a 'whilring dervish!'

Later!

Jerry
Old 02-21-2003, 01:08 PM

Default Moving to Sioux Fall's

Hi, We just found out yesterday my husband is being transferred to S.Dakota state pen so he should be leaving any time soon. I need to find a place for myself and the dog's so if you know of anything nearby sioux fall's or the surrounding area's could ya let me know? Thank's. Sandy
Old 01-17-2004, 02:55 AM

HELLO!! i live on a little reservation near flandreau, iam about 2 1/2 hrs away from you my cousin goes to school there F.I.S..yea south dakota is very boring but its a very friendly state if you get to know the right people..ive left south dakota several timez but i always seem to come back..michele where are u orginaly from? is ur boyfriend from here? well pm if you want to chat
bbye
Old 01-26-2004, 12:51 AM
Looking for friends

Smile South Dakota Lover

Hi, Im from Maryland and have lived here for most of my 21 years. But two years ago I went to SD to be with my boyfriend and I miss it sooooooo much. I loved it there. My BF is in prison in CO also but when he gets out in March we are going back to SD and I cant wait We stay in either Mitchell or on his reservation in Rosebud.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM

Hi Michelle; My name is also Michelle. I understand what you mean about SD, it is VERY boring here and there is not a whole lot to do. My fiance is in the pen right now and goes for parol next month. I live in watertown and hate it here!!!!! I also had to do a bit of time in the pen and lived in Madison at the time, when I got out last month this is were I came and I hate it here!!!! I know no one and feel very alone as well. Feel free to write any time or my msn is (e-mail address removed per PTO policy - member may be contacted via Private Messaging on PTO)

TTFN
Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Hello. I am currently in South Dakota. I have been here for almost a year. My boyfriend John was sentenced to 57 months in the federal prison. He was transfered to Colorado a few months ago. It is incrediably boring here. I know only those I work with. I have no family here. Anyone who is in South Dakota.. I would love to hear from. I am in Flandreau. About 30 miles north of Sioux Falls
Old 04-07-2004, 10:05 AM

You two are funny!!!!! I was born and raised in AZ and moved here about 5 years ago and instantly got into trouble. Heck I had never had a speeding ticket before SD!!! I just turned 37 and I feel like I am in po dunk knowhere on the outskirts of HELL!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieK
Ha Ha...yep I was 18 and thought I knew EVERYTHING, now I'm 33 and realize I know nothing!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:29 PM

Well, I was born and raised in South Dakota and I have never found it
boring. But, I can understand how some folks do find it that way.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:14 PM

Red face Hi Everyone!!

I wanted to say Hi and to Michelle I know how it is to miss someone. My husband is in SDSP, and has been in going on 9 years now. With a lil prayer he might be out sooner than we expected if the " good times" go back into effect. so he maybe home in july or Aug. I drive by Flandreau on my way home to brookings, every now and again. i live in Sioux Falls but my " home " where i grew up is in brookings. Take care, everything happens for a reason, my husband sais that. We may be apart but never alone!!!!! Always, LadyMac
Old 04-26-2004, 06:18 PM

Hey Sandy, I live in Sioux Falls, my husband is atSDSP. I am sure you go ta place to live by now, but welcome and hope everything goes well for you.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:43 PM
his forever

My husband is also in the sdsp and he was talking about "good time" what exactly is this and when will we know if it goes back into effect?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:05 PM
I Love my Mikey always!

Hi everyone I'm new to this site. I'm from Sioux Falls, born and raised. My boyfriend is in the State Penn on the hill. Anyone who wants to chat with me feel free to email me or PM me. I'm more than welcome to meet new people and hopefully make new friends. I'm almost 20 and have been around for a while so any of you with questions about Sioux Falls or the prison can ask. As for the "good time" it is where they would give back the inmates "good time" and basically it would cut down their sentence drastically. The rumor has it that it'll go into effect as of Jan 05, but it was suppose to happen in July of this year. Rumor is rumor, no one knows anything yet. If anyone needs help finding a place to stay just PM me and I can hook ya up... I know all the ins and outs of this town. Have a great day everyone and I hope to hear from you all soon!
Old 11-01-2004, 10:37 PM
angelfire72

Default write me if you get bored.. I am :)

Hi, I too live near Brookings, only to the west. I have lived here my whole life, and am planning to move out of state asap because I have trouble finding things to do now that I don't go to the bars anymore, which is not alot of other options. Drop me a line if you get bored. Would love to chat if nothing else.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Frenchy Member

Hi angelfire.

Welcome to PTO and the South Dakota forum

Phil
Old 11-02-2004, 05:13 PM

Hi angelfire Welcome to PTO... I hope that your experience here is a good one and that you will continue to come back and visit us. Please post an Intro in our intros thread, and post any questions that you may have and either Phil or I will respond to them as soon as we can. If you need anything else feel free to PM me.

Thank you

Frozen
Old 11-07-2004, 04:10 PM
GOOD HABETS!!!!

hello there, well i was born and raised in south dakota also and i lived in montana for about 10 years and just recently moved back because this is where i want my kids to spend their junior high and high school years. i remember growing up in keystone and how much fun i had as a kid and i want my kids to have the same. My husband is in prison in montana and he is looking forward to moving here next summer when he is released.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:17 PM

Great, Glad to have another member in the SD forum. Phil and I talk to ourselves quite often. My best friend is currently in Sioux Falls up on the hill, and I lived in Sioux Falls for a couple of years. I enjoyed South Dakota.

Hope to see you on the boards....
Old 11-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Frenchy Member

Hi kimsbutterfly,

Welcome to the SD forum. I'm really glad you joined us, I really didn't know what to tell Frozen anymore !!

Please feel free to PM one of us if you need anything, we are here for you.

All my best wishes.
Phil