Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:28 PM

Unhappy Serve All to Short Way Date? TDCJ

Well I did my weekly call to check the status of my husbands parole and got the bad news......they gave him serve all to his short way date. His short way date is in December 10, 2010. So my question is will he actually be released on this date or will he still have to wait on parole to review and vote again? He will have done half of his 5 years by then. I was hoping for him to be home sooner but at least now we have an answer.....
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETorrez84 View Post
Well I did my weekly call to check the status of my husbands parole and got the bad news......they gave him serve all to his short way date. His short way date is in December 10, 2010. So my question is will he actually be released on this date or will he still have to wait on parole to review and vote again? He will have done half of his 5 years by then. I was hoping for him to be home sooner but at least now we have an answer.....
I'm sorry to hear your bad news. Be strong.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going through something similar right now. My man was up for a review in October '09, and he was given a serve all. His short way is 1/30/09.

At this point, it is my understanding that they are going to review him again within 30 days of his PRD. (He's in review right now!) Now, the board will vote whether or not to block his short way (it's not necessarily a parole review). If they vote NOT to block it, he gets out on his PRD. If they vote TO block it, they will put another stipulation (like a set off or serve all) again.

So, my guess for your guy is that they will do the same. About 30 days before his PRD in Dec. 2010, they will review him again to see if they want to block his short way or not.

Hang in there. They can't keep him forever.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Thanks! I'm trying to stay strong but it's hard!!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Pink*Lady

well if his crime was committed before 1996 he falls under the old law and if that is the case they have no choice but to release him...if after 1996 then they do vote on wether or not to approve his release date to mandatory supervision. Good Luck!

"Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts"
Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETorrez84 View Post

My situation is similar, kinda. Except...My husband got a 2 yr sentence in march of this year. He's only been gone for almost 5 months. It hasn't been that long, but it feels like forever. Well, parole saw him in May, and they just gave his answer back. I called parole status and they said "looks like he's been denied ma'am" and I said "is that all it says?" and she said " he has a serve all" and I asked "what does that mean?" and she said "he won't be discharged til march 8th 2012" and I asked "will he see parole again?" and she said "no". That was it. First of all, he is incarcerated for DWI, more than one. :/...I thought he was going to come home in Feb after he served a yr of his time. So many people tell me that 2 yrs isn't that long, but...to me, it is. I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't know if the status people knew exactly for sure that he wouldn't see parole again. I hate this. I hate being away from him. He's in palestine, tx. Gurney unit. I guess if anyone knows anymore information on this, let me know please. Anything at all would be helpful. And do ya'll know about jpay? I'm sure everyone is aware of it..I was just wondering...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinsonlove View Post
My situation is similar, kinda. Except...My husband got a 2 yr sentence in march of this year. He's only been gone for almost 5 months. It hasn't been that long, but it feels like forever. Well, parole saw him in May, and they just gave his answer back. I called parole status and they said "looks like he's been denied ma'am" and I said "is that all it says?" and she said " he has a serve all" and I asked "what does that mean?" and she said "he won't be discharged til march 8th 2012" and I asked "will he see parole again?" and she said "no". That was it. First of all, he is incarcerated for DWI, more than one. :/...I thought he was going to come home in Feb after he served a yr of his time. So many people tell me that 2 yrs isn't that long, but...to me, it is. I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't know if the status people knew exactly for sure that he wouldn't see parole again. I hate this. I hate being away from him. He's in palestine, tx. Gurney unit. I guess if anyone knows anymore information on this, let me know please. Anything at all would be helpful. And do ya'll know about jpay? I'm sure everyone is aware of it..I was just wondering...
I'm so sorry. Hubs is up for review soon, and he has a longer sentence (4 years) but this is his first rodeo, so we are hopeful, but I really do fear the worst.

You are right, though, a serve all means that he won't be considered again, although essentially getting out on his PRD would be the same as getting out on parole, but it doesn't even look like that's an option, since his sentence is not as long as some others (sorry - I didn't want to say "since his sentence isn't that long" b/c no matter what others say, to you, that's 2 years that you don't have your loved one there, and that's a damn long time. He's not out at the store, or at work. He's GONE, and people think that we just get on blithely with our lives like it's not the most earth shattering thing to ever happen).

I'm so sorry this happened, but the up side (and there is ALWAYS an upside) is that you have a good idea when he will get out, and you can stop with the pointless hoping that this idiot parole system encourages. Gah. I hate TDCJ so much.

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Default I am so sorry...

Hello and welcome to PTO!!! I am glad that you found us. You will find a wealth of information and resourcs here so please feel free to read and ask questions should you need to.

I do fully understand how you feel. My husband is in also on numerous DWI's, he got 15 years. March 2011 will be 4 years he has been locked up. We have been denied parole twice, coming up in the review process here real soon for the 3rd time. It does feel like forever, but its not. I have come to find my own routine and I take one day at a time. It is not a life sentence and I will be damned if I will let the time feel like a life sentence. Your husband will be home, you know that. I would trade 15 years for 2 years in a split second. Sit back and take one day at a time, take a deep breath because as the time goes by it does get easier. I'm not saying you don't have your good and bad days, we all here at PTO have the good and the bad days. Keep you chin up and this will be over before you know it. Best of luck to you and yours.
Quote:

Old 07-22-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
First, welcome to PTO! You will find lots of support here. Second, you can see that I posted in this thread back in Jan. 2010 before my fiancee got home, so I was guessing at the time.

I don’t know what will happen for your man, but I can tell you what happened for us. No one really knows what a parole board will do on any given day. It’s almost like a crap shoot. It's always good to make a parole packet and update your support letters close to the time he is in review, though.

My fiancée had a regular parole review in late October 2009, but his PRD was at the end of January 2010. In October, he was given a serve all, probably because the regular review and his PRD were relatively (for TDCJ) close together.

The Parole Board MUST review an inmate WITHIN 30 days (even up to the thirtieth day) of an inmate's PRD. They review his file at that time (to recalculate their math on his good time, flat time, and earned time and whether or not he's caught any new cases etc.) and then they vote again at that time -- yes or no. (Other than a PRD review, in general, the parole board reviews an inmate pretty regularly on a 6-9 month schedule.) My man DID come home on his PRD!

The advice I got was that the parole board probably doesn't want the responsibility of letting an inmate out "early" (or before his PRD), so they probably extend the decision to when the state would be more responsible on his PRD date. So, in effect, a serve all can be good news -- at least you have a date to look forward to.

I know it's not easy to hear, but that seems to be the experience many people have with TDCJ. Keep your head up. They can't keep him forever.

Hang in there.

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm curious as to why she told you that. That doesn't sound right. DWI offenders are eligible for mandatory supervision unless they have a 3(g) offense in their priors. I know this for a fact becaue I am one. I had a 2 year sentence for DWI 3rd and was released on my PRD after parole voted a serve-all. I had three prior felonies for which I did time in 2001-02 though none of them were 3(g). Thus, I was still eligible for MS. Although I was expecting them to deny mandatory supervision, they allowed me to be released. With a serve-all, she was right in stating that he won't be given any more parole votes. But he should still be reviewed for mandatory supervision within 30 days of his PRD. If she told you 2012, then that is his maximum expiration date. He should come up for mandatory supervision review next February. This is one reason why I don't take anything that those folks tell me for gospel. Many of their own employees are incompetant and don't know the rules or the law.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 PM

Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,014 Posts

jenkinsonlove, what is his PRD that shows up on the offender search?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB58 View Post
jenkinsonlove, what is his PRD that shows up on the offender search?

MamaB58 ~ I agree -- I'd like to know the answer to that question, too.

I just found this for everyone's information ~

TDCJ’s official definition of “serve all” is: Serve-all – A Board of Pardon and Parole’s decision for offenders who are considered not ready for parole and who have less than three years until release to mandatory supervision or until discharge. The offender is required to remain in prison until reaching their mandatory supervision release date or their discharge date.

[/color][/size][/center]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
cowgirl1962 (07-25-2010), Dravenrain (07-28-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 PM

This has happen to my man too and he was told serve all to his PRD and yesterday i called the parole status line and he was denied for parole and given a one year set off. So there is not guarantee that he will come home on that day. Any thing can happen its all in gods hands to handle t for here on out. But good luck to you both i know its a ruff journey!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
bbraysmom

My daughter was denied her first parole request, she had to serve all, which has been and additional 18 months to complete her serve all sentence of 8 years. But for us we see a huge light at the end of the tunnel, her serve all is only 6 more months, so thrilling for us. The fact that we got to start talking to each other on the phone has been a present from God. Our struggle is coming to an end, I feel for everyone that has been set off, but you will make it with the love and support you have for each other 180 days and counting down, Lord that feels so good to say!! Thank you God for taking me through this journey, I could not have done it alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to bbraysmom For This Useful Post:
MamaB58 (08-03-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 AM

Is mandatory supervision the same as the projected release date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginbmt View Post
MamaB58 ~ I agree -- I'd like to know the answer to that question, too.

I just found this for everyone's information ~

TDCJ’s official definition of “serve all” is: Serve-all – A Board of Pardon and Parole’s decision for offenders who are considered not ready for parole and who have less than three years until release to mandatory supervision or until discharge. The offender is required to remain in prison until reaching their mandatory supervision release date or their discharge date.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t24021994 View Post
Is mandatory supervision the same as the projected release date?
Most of the time, yes. As far as I know, mandatory supervision means they are approved for parole. The PRD is when TDCJ THINKS the inmate will be approved, but the decision is ultimately up to the specific parole board.

[/color][/size][/center]

Last edited by Renee; 08-12-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

just remember that unless your loved one was convicted before 1996 the "mandatory" supervision isnt mandatory at all- the board has a right to deny it and make the inmate serve out his sentence.

i just saw that happen to a friend of mine- they denied his parole and set him off to his PRD - which was in July- and then they denied his mandatory supervision and set him off to review at his next PRD which is in May of next year- essentially when his good time and work time add up again to make his PRD ( i know- it's fn confusing!)
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM

My husband just got the same thing yesterday. His parole date was 9/24 and his MRD 9/25-just a coincidence. They denied parole but approved serve all to short way. So now I am nervous reading all of this because it seems that even though they said that he might now be able to come home if they decide to not approve it again?? He said everyone at his unit is getting the same thing and going home. He also went to Project Rio and they sent his paperwork to the Walls Unit and was told there he would be home by October 13th. The parole line doesn't have any info yet since they just voted yesterday. We had a parole attorney who did our packet and requested a telephone presentation before the vote. However they never called him to do the presentation. Any info would be helpful.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 PM

Im going through the same my husband just got denied on Thursday
And given a serve all his prd is sept 29 2012. So were just praying all
Goes well because nothing is certain but he tells me not to worry there
Releasing alot of inmates from garza east unit
Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 AM

Default Questions

Hello everyone I have a question to ask , my husband is in prison for nine months, how long will he have to do. He got sentence on June 21,2016 and was released on June 22,2016 on a PR bound so he could do his treatments he has kidney failure. They came and got him on July 25,2016 so he do his time. All the time that he was out v went with him. But his release date says March of 2017.he is at Huntsville TX at Estelle Unit. I've been told that he might just do six months. So the question is will he have to do his whole nine months.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 AM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLady44 View Post
Hello everyone I have a question to ask , my husband is in prison for nine months, how long will he have to do. He got sentence on June 21,2016 and was released on June 22,2016 on a PR bound so he could do his treatments he has kidney failure. They came and got him on July 25,2016 so he do his time. All the time that he was out v went with him. But his release date says March of 2017.he is at Huntsville TX at Estelle Unit. I've been told that he might just do six months. So the question is will he have to do his whole nine months.
A nine-month sentence denotes a State Jail Felony. As indicated in your other thread, EVERYTHING rests upon the date that the offense was committed (still not answered in the other thread) and what County the sentence was pronounced from (also still not answered in the other thread). A secondary consideration is whether this was a probation violation given the State Jail Felony presumption towards probation on drug offenses...

Even if this is a post-September 2011 offense, there is no manner of credit that can be awarded by the Court that gives 90 days of credit. The most the Court can award is 54 days on a 270 day sentence.

The ONLY way a release occurs sooner is if the Court revisits the original decision and modifies the sentence that was imposed via a Motion for Shock Probation.