Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Default Hey-who knows what about Interstate Compact and short out-date.

Hi,
I'm new to prison talk, but have been browsing off and on for about a year now. My fiance is in Appling Pre Release Center in south Georgia, hopefully riding out his last month or two of his 3 year sentence. I have a question for anyone that can help me out with a little info. My man was set for a parole date of 9/01/09, because of a recent job lay off the search landed me at a job in North Carolina. His parole address was for my house in Georgia, but on 8/28/09 I moved to North Carolina. We tried to get his parole address changed out here, but because of such short notice we believe it was unsucessful. He was told he paroled out on the 1st, then GDP was saying it was the 22nd, now they have no date for him at all. We don't understand what is going on, but his councilor advised him to parole out to his uncle's address in Atlanta a block away from his original address, and when he goes in to see his po to tell them that he needs to transfer to NC... I'm wondering if the short notice address change is what affected his parole date to begin with. His councilor told him the prison changing his address will make his stretch even longer having to be approved out of state, and he would get out here soon going to a Ga. address and having it transfered through the parole officer. Has anyone been in a simular situation, and if so will he be able to transfer out of state? How long will it take him to get transfered? I've waited this long and I'm starting to get a little unpatient. Any help will be appreciated, thanks a lot. Best wishes for our GA inmates!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 AM

haha I just checked to see if anyone got back to me and realized a spelt counselor wrong several times, my bad!!! Waiting an hoping to get a response soon, I'll check tomorrow morning.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Changing states does slow things down quite a bit. When you change to a different state it has to go through the Interstate Compact Office and that takes several months. If he can parole out to his uncles it will be quicker, but he will be stuck there while he is waiting for the Interstate Compact to go through. Mommy4Two will be on later today and she can give you more information about Interstate Compact.
Mommy4Two (09-23-2009)
Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Thanked 1,230 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitn4mybaby View Post
Changing states does slow things down quite a bit. When you change to a different state it has to go through the Interstate Compact Office and that takes several months. If he can parole out to his uncles it will be quicker, but he will be stuck there while he is waiting for the Interstate Compact to go through. Mommy4Two will be on later today and she can give you more information about Interstate Compact.
LOL!!!!

And we're more in love and happier than ever!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mommy4Two For This Useful Post:
waitn4mybaby (09-24-2009)
Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCrouch View Post
Hi,
I'm new to prison talk, but have been browsing off and on for about a year now. My fiance is in Appling Pre Release Center in south Georgia, hopefully riding out his last month or two of his 3 year sentence. I have a question for anyone that can help me out with a little info. My man was set for a parole date of 9/01/09, because of a recent job lay off the search landed me at a job in North Carolina. His parole address was for my house in Georgia, but on 8/28/09 I moved to North Carolina. We tried to get his parole address changed out here, but because of such short notice we believe it was unsucessful. He was told he paroled out on the 1st, then GDP was saying it was the 22nd, now they have no date for him at all. We don't understand what is going on, but his councilor advised him to parole out to his uncle's address in Atlanta a block away from his original address, and when he goes in to see his po to tell them that he needs to transfer to NC... I'm wondering if the short notice address change is what affected his parole date to begin with. His councilor told him the prison changing his address will make his stretch even longer having to be approved out of state, and he would get out here soon going to a Ga. address and having it transfered through the parole officer. Has anyone been in a simular situation, and if so will he be able to transfer out of state? How long will it take him to get transfered? I've waited this long and I'm starting to get a little unpatient. Any help will be appreciated, thanks a lot. Best wishes for our GA inmates!
There are basically two way to do this... But both fall under the Interstate Compact. You'll definitely wanna go and check out www.interstatecompact.org to get more info on this... *I would recommend going to the site and then highlighting the Legal section and clicking on Rules... This is the main thing you'll wanna read over and understand to see exactly what this process is...* *You may also want to check under the About section and click on Compact Process... The latter is a flow chart for the process; it shows you all the stops his file makes on the road to freedom*

There's also a great forum here on PTO dedicated to this topic... There are a ton of posts, so you'll just have to go through and see what you can find...
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69911

And there's also a FAQ about the ICA here on PTO:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208765

Option one is that he applies for the transfer while still in prison, and yes, the last minute address change may be what has detained him longer... Once the PB pulls his file and sees an out-of-state address, they are gonna forward it to the compact office in ATL and they will investigate, approve and forward it on to NC... NC then does an investigation and approves or denies him the right to parole to NC... They say that they require 120 days to complete the whole thing, but the entire system has gone electronic and it's supposed to be much faster... I actually spoke with a lady (more on her later) at the compact office who recently told me that it's taking about 6-8 weeks... Quite a difference from 120 days, but that's yet to be proven...

Second option is that he does what was suggested to you and that is to parole out and then request a transfer... This sometimes takes up to 6 months. The worst part of this option is that he may not travel to NC while he's awaiting approval... He can request travel permits, but they not only have to be approved by GA, but NC also...

Now with all of that said, he's probably going to have to do option 2 anyway. In order for him to parole out of GA to your home in NC, you have to have been a resident of NC for at least 6 months... So, even if the paperwork gets done in super speed, he still will probably be denied simply because you've only been there a month...

Another hurdle you may face with either option is the fact that you're not married. Hey, they're not my rules, I'm just relaying them. In order to move he has to be a resident of the receiving state himself, or he has to have resident family there willing to accept him and support him; neither fiancee or girlfriend qualify as "resident family"... They want a spouse, parent, sibling, aunt, uncle, child, etc... Again, not my rules... (check pg. 22 of the rules-actually pg. 23 on Adobe, rule 3.101)

But you must also understand that he can request the transfer with the PO, but they don't have to allow him to move. His transfer is at the sole discrection of the PO at that point. They have the full right to tell him that they feel he needs to stay here and there's no way for you to make them do it. I didn't believe this myself at first, but I've seen it too many times to not believe it now. On this website and with a cousin who at one point tried to switch from AL to GA. PO had total control. Unless it's a mandatory transfer and in your case it doesn't sound like it is...

You may also want to contact Deena Davis at the Interstate Compact office in ATL. Her number is 404-651-6692. I've talked with her several times and she has always been very helpful. She's blunt and to the point, but nevertheless, helpful. This is her direct line and she almost always answers. If you leave a message she will return your call, usually within a day or two, not counting holidays and weekends.

I've tried to post all the information that is relevant to what you've asked.... I hope this helps and if not, I hope the sites or number listed above will help you better... If you have any further questions feel free to ask, or post them in the Interstate Compact forum too... There are some POs that hang around in there and have been very helpful with other PTO members... Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mommy4Two For This Useful Post:
waitn4mybaby (09-24-2009)
Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Oh and, welcome officially to PTO!