Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default Question regarding employment after prison

My friend that is in the OPS has asked me to find out something.

The pitfalls etc. of getting a job. He is not worried about the company he will keep or minding his parole, staying out of trouble and so fourth.

He is concerned about applying for work, being a convicted felon and all. What does he say in an interview? How does he go about the whole process?

Prior to prison (this was his only time in trouble) he has always worked in the manufacturing world.

If you have gone through this process and are out in the world after prison, with a felony, can you please let me know what you or your loved one did?

Thank you in advance for your advice and help...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Boss

Many labor jobs do background checks, but ALL employers ask if you have a felony, and if so, what the crime was. His PO will call his employer to ensure he is in fact working there. To answer your question about what to say, the best and only thing to do is to be honest and to ask before applying if they hire felons. Being a felon does reduce the opportunities, but there are still employers who will hire him. A friend of mine who recently paroled found that at least half of temp agencies and general labor employers would not hire felons, or at least those with drug-related or violent crimes. However, he did eventually find work.
The Following User Says Thank You to one_luv For This Useful Post:
Missenhim (05-08-2008)
Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

He can also go to the Oregon state employment office and get bonded. The feds have a program which provides bonding for convicted felons (administered by the state) - then he can tell potential employers that he's bonded and they might be more likely to hire him. Z.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Missenhim (05-08-2008)