Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Default Need Opinions- Should Hubby Reveal He's a Former Attorney or Not?

Hello- First post here.

My husband is reporting to FPC Tucson on Tuesday for 7 months, he's 53 years old very meager, quiet, white collar guy (and crime) we have been doing all the reading about keeping your head down and not rocking the boat with the staff etc.

Our debate/question has been whether he should reveal to other inmates that he is a former attorney or not? Obviously his arrest has invalidated his ability to practice law but my thought was that maybe some of the fellow camp-mates might take him under their wing or befriend him if he could give them some free legal advice (he did more corporate defense law than criminal but he still knows a lot and he is one of the best legal researchers there are assuming they have law books in the library).

His fear is that many on the inside had really negative experiences with their lawyers or hated the prosecutors that put them there and he would be treated worse for that fact.

Any advice? Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this forum!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM

That is a tough question. I know my man would be happy to have free legal help from an actual attorney if there was one on the block with him but I can not really say how other inmates might feel about your husbands previous profession. My man has never been in Tucson so I don't know what it is like in there.
My thought is that if nobody asks him what he did for a living don't tell and if he does tell I would probably want to stress the fact that he was a corporate defense attorney.
I am sure there are some others here that can give you better insight into what he should do.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM

depends if he is famous or not and they could have seen him in the newspaper.Maybe he could say he was a law researcher other wise they might think he is rich.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:18 PM

I believe there are many good people in prison that would probably appreicate your husband's advice, education, and background. There are also bad people that may take advantage of him and like english2791 said they might think he is rich and will threaten him for money and favors ect. So I would say he needs to use his good judgement and try to be aware of the people he will disclose that information to and also people can take the advice and later on blame him for their mishaps because they did not use common sense. If his license is revoked then I am not sure about the legalities behind a former attorney giving advice. It would be a good idea if he decides to teach a class on Law and Legalities there I would suggest having other inmates signing forms of consent. It can also help your husband to make time go by and it looks good that he will be proactive during his sentence.
Best wishes to you and your family
God bless
Old 07-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Default reveal or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVLoves View Post
Hello- First post here.

My husband is reporting to FPC Tucson on Tuesday for 7 months, he's 53 years old very meager, quiet, white collar guy (and crime) we have been doing all the reading about keeping your head down and not rocking the boat with the staff etc.

Our debate/question has been whether he should reveal to other inmates that he is a former attorney or not? Obviously his arrest has invalidated his ability to practice law but my thought was that maybe some of the fellow camp-mates might take him under their wing or befriend him if he could give them some free legal advice (he did more corporate defense law than criminal but he still knows a lot and he is one of the best legal researchers there are assuming they have law books in the library).

His fear is that many on the inside had really negative experiences with their lawyers or hated the prosecutors that put them there and he would be treated worse for that fact.

From someone who has been in and is an attorney. Definitely not. They will just drive you crazy. My daughter spent 16 months at Alderson and only the staff knew and a few others that were attorneys. The best way to keep it.
The Following User Says Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
Sheryl P. (07-10-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM

My gut tells me that it all depends on how much he loves the law. There will be people that will certainly ask him questions about his opinion, but, there will be some who will ask him questions relentlessly, over and over as they sweat and fret about their respective cases. This can get quite old! And if he's wrong, some will think it's your husbands fault instead of a judge who didn't get enough sleep.

I think he might be better off only revealing this to folks after he's been there awhile and knows who's best left avoided.

Oh! When I was in county, I translated some legal documents for a big time Columbian drug lord (got caught with ...oops, allegedly got caught with like 1000 kilos of cocaine) from English to Spanish and he paid me in honey buns, lol. Also, if he wants to handle some appeals work for some inmates, he can do quite well with postage stamps. There are plenty of jailhouse lawyers and many of them are as good or better than the ones that initially defended us. So, his law degree may not be as worthless as he might think.

Last edited by bigpappy; 07-06-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,943 Times in 11,659 Posts

There are always inmates whose "hustle" is helping others with their legal appeals. Some are former lawyers, some are self taught prison lawyers, and some are outright scammers. If he hangs out in the law library, he will quickly be able to identify the players. Some would welcome his assistance, while others will consider him to be unwelcome competition, so he can judge the temperature there before he decides what to do. With a 7 month sentence, he should be able to choose either way.

There will also be a number of inmates who have been scammed by jailhouse lawyers, some of whom can be extremely upset, especially those who had their families pay serious money for their "legal" help. It happens regularly in the bop, the scammer checks in to PC, and is then transferred to another prison to avoid the consequences.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Any advice?
Yeah. Tell your husband to tell everyone in Tucson that he is a carpenter.

Welcome to PTO. You will find much comfort here. Please know that I will keep your husband and yourself in my prayers. God bless.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM

I was in Morgantown and there where plenty of Attorneys, Judges, Doctors,etc. It is very common for former attorneys in prison so it is not a big deral
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 AM

Wanted to thank you all for your messages and your PM's. Dropped him off today to SS, it was a really hard time but unlike a cancer diagnosis or sending a soldier off to War we are taking comfort in the fact we know about when he will be returning and that he will return to us alive and unharmed.

I was really pleased to see how open the Tucson Camp was, the soccer "field"/track was out in the open 40 feet from the road and there was no barbed wire just a chain fence like you'd see at an elementary school that they must close at night. "Campers" were walking out and about, working out and one of them opened the door to the visitors area for me. The guard inside even let me see the visitors area real quick so I knew what to expect before I bring our 2 year old baby for our first visit hopefully in 2 weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LVLoves For This Useful Post:
CookieBaker (07-12-2013), fbopnomore (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 567 Posts

Happy to see so many varied responses. If you can stand just one more - my thoughts.
I think being a defense attorney will be an asset for him. If he was a Prosecuter, I wouldn't have the same answer.
I would venture to say that most inmates do not like Prosecutors, but more would like defense attorneys. Whether they got a good deal or not.l Perhaps they got a plea bargain that helped them to do less time.
The only possible disadvantage I see, is that he needs to be ready for an onset of many questions, because inmates (alot of them) are hungry for good free legal advise.
That could be a good thing, because it would keep your hubby busy.
I am hopeful his time will go by fast and good luck to you both.
It was really nice to see where you will have your visits, so you will know somewhat to expect.
Finally and I should have put this first Welcome to PTO. We are all here when you need us or just want to pass some time. Perhaps you will find that as time goes on, you will have alot more to share with us.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

The Following User Says Thank You to babygirl350 For This Useful Post:
CookieBaker (07-12-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM
§2K2.2. [Deleted]

Quote:
Hello- First post here.

Just my opinion but if it were me ,I would keep my personal life to my self. Obviously if he wants to tell his story then so be it. Someone mentioned that he would probably be constantly pestered by innocent people looking to file motions and I can see it. Tell him to find some lawyer and cpa friends to play cards with.

Good luck....
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

Probably more important to keep to himself that he only has 7 months to serve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
BAYSIS (09-17-2013), CookieBaker (07-12-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM

He only has a few months, keep it to himself.

Do not invite other people's drama into your short time.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Since he is only doing a short bit it would probably be best if he just kept his head down and did his time. According to my man the home boys got each others back so he should find other prisoners from his City or State to hang with but don't reveal to much personal information.