Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Need help finding an attorney in Indiana

I am looking for advice and perhaps a recommendation of an attorney to help me with this situation. Ideally an attorney who has went against the state before and not intimidated.
10 months after my position was eliminated due to budget cuts I recieved a gate closure stating I was romantically involved with a offender, purposely hampered investigations, and falsified documents. ALL of it is B/S and can be proven to be but they will not provide any information or acknowledge in writing that they have even recieved any appeals from me concerning the matter.
Everywhere I go I keep hitting brick walls and refusal to disclose information. Any help would be appriciated
After I was no longer employed at the facility, I kept in contact with the clerk that I had. We wrote back and forth and in November (2010) he was transferred to another facility. I filled out a visitation form and went and saw him 3 times one of those times taking his 83 year old grandmother with me who had not been able to see him in years.

1. I have NEVER then or now been involved with my clerk, correspondence is monitored any letter that was ever written between us does not even INSINUATE that there is or was an inappropriate relationship NOR was there any correspondence while I was employed there. A look at the visit tapes would show that, no hand holding, no kissing, no “romantic” behavior. I never communicated with him thru mail or any other means except in the classroom while I was employed at the facility.
2. I can PROVE I provided accurate information on my visit form, they stated I did not say I had been employed with the Indiana Department of Corrections previously, I have NEVER been employed with the department of corrections, I was employed by a contract company. The form asks if I have been employed by the Department of Corrections, I answered No, which is the correct answer.
3. As far as purposely hampering an investigation, I have absolutely NO knowledge of an investigation, so it would be difficult to hamper one, especially on purpose! (How do you investigate someone who has not been employed there for 10 months and the offender in question transferred 6 months ago…and why would you waste the time?!)
This letter came 10 months after I was employed at that facility. The offender in question had been transferred from Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in November. I spoke with Pendleton’s (where he is incarcerated at now) internal affairs and they informed me that they had “nothing to do with this, and knew nothing about it, the gate closure came straight from Wabash” He said that I would have to talk to them. The gate closure is issued from Wabash but signed by a man a re-entry coordinator (another oddity). If issued from Wabash investigation why signed by Pendleton? The offender named in the gate closure filed a grievance. It was sent back and stated it needed to be refiled and attempted to be resolved informally. That paper work was done. A reply sent back that it needed to be taken up with Wabash Valley.

I think that it is extremely strange that 10 months after my position was eliminated they come up with these claims out of the blue. If they had any thoughts that I was involved with an offender while employed I would have been suspended with pay pending investigation as many others had been.
I spoke with an attorney in the latter part of March after I received the gate closure who drew up a letter and sent it upstate to the head honcho denying the claims and appealing the gate closure. I never heard anything back. Today I contacted the office to see if a response had been given, the paralegal told me that he had called her and said “he would not even write a response denying the appeal of the gate closure that he was denying it and it was staying.” She asked him for documentation of the “investigation” I purposely hampered and he denied that also saying it was not public information. I was never notified of an investigation, I was never questioned about anything, but I was found to be “romantically involved” at the time I was employed, but I can’t see the documents to back that claim up?! They won't show the paper work because there IS none.
I am at a loss as what to do. It comes down to they are pissed about staying in contact with my clerk.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,989 Times in 15,132 Posts

I can't answer your questions for Indiana as every state/facility is different in their policies/procdures. But I would like to welcome you to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Donation Award 

Default I would contact the OmBUDS

From what it sounds somebody up there has a wrench up their rearend for you... I would also contact the Indiana ACLU.
But if you were an employee for another company & although you were employeed through that company you were still considered as a represenitive of the DOC & therefore they are denying your visitation for that reason.
Hope you find out something soon.
PR

Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 PM

I really can't offer any advice but I can give you the name of a wonderful attorney here in Indiana. David Mosley in Jeffersonville. Just look him up...read about him. He is a great attorney.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marsgrl For This Useful Post:
wickit (08-09-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Old thread, but if you haven't found one yet, I have a family friend I can refer you to. He's about 2 hours SE of Indy.