Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:41 AM

Default Info needed Eyman SMU1

Hello!
According to the corrections.az website my husband went to Eyman prison yesterday to SMU1. Im from europe and dont understand the US prisons so i have a few questions.
Can anyone tell me something about Eyman. Is it a real bad prison?
Can anyone tell me what that unit SMU1is?
And if hes waiting for protective custody, what does that mean?
Also, his sheet says custody class 2/3 but the SMU1 8/ costudy 5. What does the custody class mean anyways?
Thanks so much in advance for your answers.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,537 Times in 780 Posts

Hi! Eyman SMU1 is a special management unit in Florence, AZ. It's a maximum custody yard, they are locked down 23 hours a day with scheduled rec and shower times. Phone calls have to be scheduled as well.

There are several sections of SMU1...general population, sex offender, protective custody, mental health watch. If he's waiting for protective custody it means there's a reason he can't be on a general population yard and he needs to be placed on a yard where he will be protected. It can be for many many reasons that I won't even begin to try to list.

Custody class is broken down into two sections. Per Department order 0801:
"1.1 The classification system consists of:
1.1.1 Custody Classification - Determining the custody level based on the risk the inmate
presents to the public and staff, as well as the time remaining until the inmate is
released.
1.1.2 Internal Risk Level - Determining the internal risk level based on the risk the inmate
presents to the public and staff and other inmates in order to assist in making decisions
regarding housing and work assignments." You can read all about inmate classification HERE

He's going to be the only one able to fully answer some of these questions unfortunately. Hang in there.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Hey Thanks so much for the reply!
That sounds awfull and inhumane geeeez 😢
I gues hes there awaiting protective custody. He had that in jail aswell. Does that mean he Will b moved again? So hell be there temporarely?
Cuz this prison sounds so strickt? He has a class 4 felony but he is a very calm, polite, non agressieve person with 100% good behavior.
1 more question. I dont understand the custody class. Ive read the link. But the correction website and the prison website work with classes 1 2 3 4 and 5? And what does it mean, 5 is the worse or something? Meaning more dangereuses inmates and more strickt regime? I have nooooo clue what all of this is, we dont have that in europe.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,537 Times in 780 Posts

It's a horrible place to be, it's one of the highest custody risk prisons in the state. I'm sorry you and your man are going through this. He may be there for his own protection while they find somewhere more suitable to place him. My husband spent a good while at SMU but it was for his own bad behaviour.

Yes, 5 is considered the "worst" custody class for the inmates with violent crimes and those who can't get along with other inmates inside. That's why I'm thinking your LO is just there until they can find somewhere else for him. Only time will tell though. You can take a small amount of comfort knowing that he's safe there. Being in a single cell means that whatever he's in protective custody for, the other inmates won't be able to get to him. I hope he's able to contact you soon, he likely knows more about what's going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
Euro40 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,374 Posts

My husband spent the first few months of his last bid there, awaiting a decision on protective custody. It's not a happy place to be, but the way we looked at it was that he was safe. They typically put them in detention if they're awaiting a decision.
A 2/3 custody class means he's minimum custody. When he gets out of SMU, he will be on a less restrictive yard. SMU is a 5 yard, which means it has the most restrictions. He should be able to have two phone calls a week.
When MrB was there, he was typically in a two man cell. With a 2/3 custody class, he will be there temporarily. I would write him as much as possible. It will help him pass the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheAmazingMrsB For This Useful Post:
Euro40 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 01:59 PM

You guys' information is amazing, so helpfull. Thanks so much. I understand it way better now!

It makes sense that hes Prob in there awaiting proctive custody. And Then he Will be place somewhere else, right. So in a PC with a lower level (2/3 in his case) Instead of the 5 hes in right now. Cuz he committed a non violent crime. Seriously, ive never seen him angry or agressive ever. Raised his voice to the kids once or twice. Neither has his mom or fam or friends. Hes a laid back type of guy, very polite. Hes been in county jail for 3,5 had perfect behavior. So i gues hes not a SMU1 inmate to stay, but waiting to b place else Where.

I feel better knowing this. His mom cried n cried on the phone and when i tell her this, shell feel better too. Cuz like u guys said, hes safe. And thats the main thing.

I Will write him, Yes! the sucky part is, the letter Will take up to 2 weeks (from europe) Ugh. Hope he can call his mom soon (not me cuz Im overseas)
The Following User Says Thank You to Euro40 For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (06-15-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro40 View Post
Hey Thanks so much for the reply!
That sounds awfull and inhumane geeeez 😢
I gues hes there awaiting protective custody. He had that in jail aswell. Does that mean he Will b moved again? So hell be there temporarely?
Cuz this prison sounds so strickt? He has a class 4 felony but he is a very calm, polite, non agressieve person with 100% good behavior.
1 more question. I dont understand the custody class. Ive read the link. But the correction website and the prison website work with classes 1 2 3 4 and 5? And what does it mean, 5 is the worse or something? Meaning more dangereuses inmates and more strickt regime? I have nooooo clue what all of this is, we dont have that in europe.
A different way to look at the custody numbers is, the first one is based more on his crime, and how much of a risk to society they feel he would be based on what he did. The second is how much of a pain they feel he'll be while in prison, so will he follow the rules, start fights, etc.

I can't say much about SMU, but Eyman overall seems a better prison. Mine is there, but in a different yard.

And if his mom wants to get calls, she need to start the application process. It's the same for just visiting, as it is for calls, but if all she can do is calls, there's not fee for that. (just visiting) He won't be able to call until that's done.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Euro40 (06-26-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
A different way to look at the custody numbers is, the first one is based more on his crime, and how much of a risk to society they feel he would be based on what he did. The second is how much of a pain they feel he'll be while in prison, so will he follow the rules, start fights, etc.

I can't say much about SMU, but Eyman overall seems a better prison. Mine is there, but in a different yard.

And if his mom wants to get calls, she need to start the application process. It's the same for just visiting, as it is for calls, but if all she can do is calls, there's not fee for that. (just visiting) He won't be able to call until that's done.
Yea his mom did, a couple of weeks ago. Takes so long to get accepted!?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:30 PM
here

I've heard hat if it's just phone calls it can take less time, but I don't know if I've ever seen evidence of it taking less time. Fingers crossed it will be less than the usual 60 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Euro40 (07-13-2017)