Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Looking for Information to Support Second Chance Act

Hi!
My honey is getting down to about 24months left of his sentence, and per his case manager, J may be eligible for the Second Chance Act. I'm in the process of sending his case manager a long letter requesting updates to his inmate skills development plan (which I believe they will use to help in determining his eligibility for 2nd Chance, RRC, HWH/HC, etc).. I'm also requesting that his family and friends send letters to me, that I can forward to his case manager and region, showing their support for J upon his release.
As I am a psych major, I've been researching various social psychologists that have studied prisons and inmates, and I would like to include some of their research with my letters. I am curious, however, does anyone have an information/studies/resources about the "good" of second chance act on inmates??
As you can see, I'm trying to do everything in my power to prove to FBOP that sending J to a HWH for 12months instead of 6 will be beneficial after nearly 10yrs in prison.
Has anyone ever had any success with "appealing" to FBOP like I'm gearing up to do?
Are there any advocate groups, support groups, anything that anyone would recommend that could be helpful in this next leg of our prison "journey"?
THANKS in advance for ANY response or information!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,319 Times in 10,449 Posts

I found this study on the US Dept of Justice's Bureau of Justice page by doing an internet search for "second chance act success stories".
https://www.bja.gov/annualreport/2010/chap-5.html

in 2009, the bop was ignoring the 12 month HWH authorization, but recently some other members have posted that there are now inmates who are being granted additional HWH time. The failure of the bop to utilize the SCA for early release of prisoners to HWH or home confinement was cited by the Government Accounting Office in its examples of bop mismanagement.
http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-12-320
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Iubt (02-20-2013), JAKLTS2798 (02-17-2013)