Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

View Poll Results: How far do you drive for visits?
Less than an hour 502 8.92%
1-2 hours 832 14.78%
2-3 hours 931 16.54%
3-4 hours 790 14.04%
4 or more hours 2,573 45.72%
Voters: 5628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2005, 07:30 AM

Question How far do you drive to visit?

I am going to be driving somewhere between 16 and 17 hours in December to visit my loved one. I am trying to work it now to where I can stay in the area for about a month ( I have family that lives about an hour from the prison) just to be able to visit him throughout that time on his visitation days. I am excited and nervous because I have never visited him before.

Last edited by RanDzNeek; 08-21-2005 at 07:32 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2005, 08:12 AM
And What?

Intially I had to drive 7 hours to see him. I would go up twice a month. They moved him the first time and I had to drive 9 hours then - I only got to see him once in a year. Thank heavens he is now 45 min from me and I go see him at least once a week without fail.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:00 PM

My drive is 4 hrs away. I drove the last time, now I just take a bus down, then catch the subway. So far I have been able to visit 2 times. Only on Sundays can I go visit. Sept here I come!!

Old 08-22-2005, 02:24 PM
always a friend in co

My drive (when I break on down and drive) is 9 hours each way but well worth it. Again ,my baby is in Missouri and I am in Colorado so with gas prices being what the are, ANYONE WANNA CAR POOL? We can slpit the cost of gas (and munchies) and if you are going anywhere near Kansas City, the hotel room as well. I usually fly when I find those great deals on the net.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:05 PM

I drive 6 hours from Las Vegas to Florence , AZ...as a matter of fact I just got back from visiting my Sweetheart yesterday. It is well worth it just to see the smile on his face!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Time Can't Erase Destiny*

My drive is between 8 & 9 hours one way. I'm planning a trip to see my baby next month since he was moved from florida.(the trip was only a hour and a half before), He's in arkansas now. I've never been to arkansas and I might be making this trip alone if my sister doesnt wanna go with me, alittle nervous 2 go by myself and because I havent seen him in a year.

#11 member Loving My Inmate Club
#19 member 2012 Club

My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart(Ps. 7:10)
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM

I drive 2 hours one way to see my baby. I go once a week on Saturday or Sunday. But sometimes I surprise him and take Vacation from work to see him more than once a week. Not as often as I would like to tho.

Never stop smiling you never know when someone is falling in love with you.

:love: Kid and Seth~ I love and miss you both. Stay strong and keep faith! :love:
Old 08-25-2005, 07:48 PM

I drive 8 hours up and 8 back and I see my Baby Boy every other month. We only have 7 1/2 years left. I think I should move... I love him and miss him with all my heart.
BK & GD
Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 PM

Red face re

I drive anywhere between 3 and 3 1/1 hours there and 3 to 3 1/2 back to see my son, I have a bad back and knee andit is very hard for me to travel and i have some more that are in no shape to travel that lenght of time and I am trying to get my son moved closer to home . Any Ideas how to go about doing this.. I have sent out about 50 letters in the last 2 weeks to different people in raleigh and the GOVERNOR himself, Thanks for any help... Callie
Old 08-26-2005, 07:02 AM

We Travel 469 Miles One Way But It Is Worth It To See My Other Half,and From Now On We Will Get Contacts.thank You God!!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:36 PM

Default It takes me about 2 1/2 hours - Advice needed though

My boyfriend (we've been a couple since he was in jail which is 3 years, we were friends before that) he's now at Coffeewood Correctional in Virginia, and when he was an hour away I used to visit him every other weekend. Now that he's 2 hours away it's a little harder financially to see him as often as we both like. I have a 6 year daughter with him, and I've financially supporting her all by myself pretty much (a single parent). And this summer has been really tough on my pocket as well as the gas being so high...I saw him in June and I'm finally easing out of my money problems around Sept. 15th and that's when I am planning on visiting him. But he's been giving me guilt trips about me not seeing him on a regular basis and that I don't bring his daughter to see him. I write to him to tell him my situation and that I can only do what I can afford right now. And paying $30 extra in gas to see him isn't in the budget. Am I being bad person for this? He's been getting alot of his co-jailers and even a woman correctional officer tell him that if I must me cheating on him and that if loved him I would make it up there no matter what, and that I'm a terrible person for not bringing my daughter to visit him. I don't know what to do? I suggested for him to see who lives in Maryland (that's where I live) to see if one of there family members can pick me up. Not like i"m not trying. I wish he was more understanding.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaforpeace
My boyfriend (we've been a couple since he was in jail which is 3 years, we were friends before that) he's now at Coffeewood Correctional in Virginia, and when he was an hour away I used to visit him every other weekend. Now that he's 2 hours away it's a little harder financially to see him as often as we both like. I have a 6 year daughter with him, and I've financially supporting her all by myself pretty much (a single parent). And this summer has been really tough on my pocket as well as the gas being so high...I saw him in June and I'm finally easing out of my money problems around Sept. 15th and that's when I am planning on visiting him. But he's been giving me guilt trips about me not seeing him on a regular basis and that I don't bring his daughter to see him. I write to him to tell him my situation and that I can only do what I can afford right now. And paying $30 extra in gas to see him isn't in the budget. Am I being bad person for this? He's been getting alot of his co-jailers and even a woman correctional officer tell him that if I must me cheating on him and that if loved him I would make it up there no matter what, and that I'm a terrible person for not bringing my daughter to visit him. I don't know what to do? I suggested for him to see who lives in Maryland (that's where I live) to see if one of there family members can pick me up. Not like i"m not trying. I wish he was more understanding.
You are not a bad person Gina and don't let anyone try to cause you to be on a guilt trip. Raising a daughter alone as a single parent under the circumstances has to be rough.

You have to have your daughter and yourself come first. If you don't take care of your own business you will not be able to take care of his.

I am sorry he is not more understanding of the situation. With the gas prices the way they are, it really is scary. One never knows what they are going to run into.

I don't know if you send him money or not, or take calls from him, but if you do either, perhaps it might be time to discuss with him about the importance of either seeing you and his daughter or having money put on his books, or the phone calls.

Maybe if you do that, it will put the ball in his court and he can decide which is most important to him. I know that we all would like to have it all, but sometimes that is just not possible.

You do what you have to and know that you are doing what is best for you and your daughter.

All of my best to you.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 09-01-2005, 03:56 PM

I drive 9 hours to get there and 9 hours back
Old 09-01-2005, 04:27 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 715 Posts

right now, chris isn't allowed to have visits . if he stays at his current facility, i'll be driving 1 hour 15 minutes each way to see him, every day except fridays and saturdays. visits there are 1 1/2 hours per day. if he doesn't stay where he is and is transferred to where i think he will go, then i'll have a 20 minute each way ride, but the visits there are only saturday and sundays for 2 hours a peice, and he will get a one hour window visit any day monday through friday.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Home since 9/29/05! Yes!!

At this facility, it is 2 hours each way every other week.

In the past I have gone as far as 8 hours or so each way... to 4 hours, to a half hour?! It varied.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl350
You are not a bad person Gina and don't let anyone try to cause you to be on a guilt trip. Raising a daughter alone as a single parent under the circumstances has to be rough.

You have to have your daughter and yourself come first. If you don't take care of your own business you will not be able to take care of his.

I am sorry he is not more understanding of the situation. With the gas prices the way they are, it really is scary. One never knows what they are going to run into.

I don't know if you send him money or not, or take calls from him, but if you do either, perhaps it might be time to discuss with him about the importance of either seeing you and his daughter or having money put on his books, or the phone calls.

Maybe if you do that, it will put the ball in his court and he can decide which is most important to him. I know that we all would like to have it all, but sometimes that is just not possible.

You do what you have to and know that you are doing what is best for you and your daughter.

All of my best to you.

Thank you for your help, right now I'm just able to write to him. I have problems with getting phone calls, because it's through MCI and I have AT&T and it's a big ordeal. And I send him cash (alittle) in the past as much as I can part. I don't make alot of money, but I make too much to get assistance to help out. Isn't that a riot? So I do what I can, and I have his daughter send him drawings, and with school just opening I'm going to start sending him copies of her work and report card (she's in 1st grade). It's not that I'm ignoring him, but maybe I should send him more letters than I do. About 2 to 3 a month, because I'm busy at work and raising a child.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:53 AM
april*n*jeff

I am so lucky I will only drive 40 to 45 mins roundtrip. I see him for the first time on saturday!!

Butterfly22
Old 09-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Joses_Princess

i have to go on the greyhound...i take like 7 hours to get there.
i miss my baby so im not able to go so often
Old 09-04-2005, 10:30 PM

I drive 8 to 10 hours twice a year. Three, if I'm lucky. With two kids and a dog. It's a challenge.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Banned

I drive about 15 minutes to the airport, and buy a "same day round trip" ticket. I go from London, to New York, lay over about an hour, then from New York to Indianapolis International, where I get a cab to Kokomo, Indiana. I have to have the cab driver wait for me, I see him 2 hours, then I go back to the airport, stay until my flight leaves, go to New York for another hour layover, then back home. You people complain a lot about gas prices! I don't see any stations in New York, but in Indiana it say $3/19 per gallon. In London it about $15.00 american for gas per gallon. You're all really lucky! Anyway, My total trip is about 36 hours in a plane, 6 hours in a cab + 2 hours with my baby, and 30 minutes in my car. Altogether it runs me about $3000 US to see him. I'll be happy when he's done with parole!!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Banned

I try to go and see him every 15 days, as expected, but at times I can only come once a month. I get great rates on Frequent Flyer mileage, though, so about every 3 trips I get a free one, and sometimes the cab driver is nice and turns of his counter while He's waiting for me.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:24 AM

About once a month I drive anywhere from 4-6 hours, it all depends on the traffic.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:58 AM

I dont drive, I fly,, approximately 3000 miles, from ontario to washington.. I dont have time to drive,, and when I get here I rent a car thats just the easiest most time/cost effecient way for me to do it.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:44 AM

2 hours there without traffic at 80 mph!

2 - 3 hours depending on traffic in New York. I could get back to NY in 1 hour. But the other 1 hr to 2 hr I'm stuck in traffic to go home even tho I live 15 minutes from the highway =P
Old 09-09-2005, 12:39 PM

I Fly out once a month to see him Cause driving takes 3 days!