Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:03 PM

Exclamation What is Telemate and how does it work?

What is telemate and how does it work??
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,013 Times in 3,808 Posts
Default What is Telmate and how does it work?

I have given you your own thread so hopefully someone can assist you with your question.
Here is their website
http://www.telmate.com/

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 08-02-2016, 05:27 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,041 Times in 14,744 Posts

TelMate is a jail/prison phone service provider much like Securus or GTL.

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (08-02-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 08:35 AM

They have an app if you have a smartphone where you can "text" with your inmate. It's called Getting Out.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.c. View Post
They have an app if you have a smartphone where you can "text" with your inmate. It's called Getting Out.
How are they able to write back, does it cost them money to do so??
Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Yes, they can write back. We found it to be one of the cheapest ways to communicate. It's 25 cents per message.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, they can write back. We found it to be one of the cheapest ways to communicate. It's 25 cents per message.
Do you receive the messages fast or does it take time to receive it??
Old 08-05-2016, 08:56 AM

It seems to be pretty fast. There are times that we carry on a conversation via message. It's pretty cool when that happens! I think that depends on whether their facility has the tablets. I've found that happens when she happens to have the tablet. Or guess they could hang around the kiosk and message back and forth with you.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Also, when you get on Getting Out, it's called "Messages" not texts. We just call them that because it feels like we're texting.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

You can do the same with jpay, but here its .40 cents per page plus another "stamp" (.40 cents) if you add an attachment. I get his to me fairly quick, but mine to him still has to go through the mail room...I'm guessing they read it, approve it and print it out for him.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
It seems to be pretty fast. There are times that we carry on a conversation via message. It's pretty cool when that happens! I think that depends on whether their facility has the tablets. I've found that happens when she happens to have the tablet. Or guess they could hang around the kiosk and message back and forth with you.
Have you tried or heard of inmatefone, it's not fast but it's unlimited texting, and you can get calling too
Old 08-05-2016, 09:18 AM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesostrong87 View Post
Have you tried or heard of inmatefone, it's not fast but it's unlimited texting, and you can get calling too
If its not an approved vendor your calls will be blocked (sooner or later) and the inmate may face disciplinary write-ups.

If its a call forwarding and/or 3rd party service, it is not an approved vendor.

Fridyrr.Likn (06-20-2018)
Old 08-05-2016, 10:58 AM

We certainly don't want to get in trouble! I don't even know how it would work with Telmate; the system seems pretty locked down to me. I can't even leave her a voicemail from an unregistered phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to j.c. For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
We certainly don't want to get in trouble! I don't even know how it would work with Telmate; the system seems pretty locked down to me. I can't even leave her a voicemail from an unregistered phone.
You won't get in trouble with inmatefone it's a service they have for inmates, I like it more than the corrlink or any other service the have, I'm not sure about telmate, my baby is in a federal prison camp, you can call the service if you like and see if it would work for you and your LO but whateva is help for you

Last edited by lovesostrong87; 08-05-2016 at 01:37 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Questions for telmate user, can you tell me how the video works, is it like webcam chatting??

Last edited by lovesostrong87; 08-05-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 03:03 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
You won't get in trouble with inmatefone it's a service they have for inmates, I like it more than the corrlink or any other service the have, I'm not sure about telmate, my baby is in a federal prison camp, you can call the service if you like and see if it would work for you and your LO but whateva is help for you
Telmate IS the phone service provider for facilities with which they have a contract, just like Securus has contracts with certain facilities, GTL has contracts with certain facilities, Combined Public has contracts certain facilities. You can't use them unless they're contracted with the facility your loved one is in.

You most certainly CAN get in trouble (blocked calls) & your loved one can get in trouble (write-ups) for using a phone service provider that forwards your call from the inmate to any other number.

Not only that, some states DO NOT allow calls to cell phones no way no how. If you forward your loved one's calls to a cell phone and that state's DOC does not permit it, there will be hell to pay when they find out.

Best way to avoid these issues is to get a phone with its own number that is local to the facility, not one that is forwarded to a local number on your phone.

Last edited by patchouli; 08-05-2016 at 03:06 PM..
Fridyrr.Likn (06-20-2018)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Questions for telmate user, can you tell me how the video works, is it like webcam chatting??
I've not done the video visits from home, but have done them as visitation at the facility. It's just like Skype or whatever. I've heard from others the home video visits also work well. They are also cheaper than a call, at $7.50 for a half hour.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Umm... Yes you can get in trouble because it is not the approved vendor. Not only can you get in trouble but they can put a block on the phone/number you are using. Just because it is working for you right now doesn't mean it won't be found out and stopped. You have to use the services they approve or face consequences. My man is in federal too and he told me to use a third party to bypass long distance calls it worked fine for almost a year till they found out and blocked our calls I set up a new one worked fine for a few months and then they blocked it again. My man is lucky he didn't get in trouble for it. So don't think just because it works that it is ok and acceptable because it isn't. If you are lucky you can continue contact with your loved one and they won't get in trouble if not well it will be real lonely for you without calls and emails.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Struck For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I've used Telmate for video visits when My Mr was in a facility that used Telmate as their phone service provider. You have to have a webcam and microphone for your computer; you have to make an appointment on the Telmate site and inmate has to accept it. When its time for the scheduled appointment you log into the Telmate site and go to the video visit link and follow the prompts.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I've not done the video visits from home, but have done them as visitation at the facility. It's just like Skype or whatever. I've heard from others the home video visits also work well. They are also cheaper than a call, at $7.50 for a half hour.
A half hour sounds great I wouldnt mind doing that for 7.50 but question if you're in the facility why can't you just see the person face to face, I'm just curious that's all
Old 08-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,774 Times in 11,574 Posts

Some prisons/jails only permit video visits, or visits through glass, where you talk on telephones.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:18 PM

Yes, that's correct. At our facility (a county jail) the only option for visitation is through video visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to j.c. For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-06-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Some prisons/jails only permit video visits, or visits through glass, where you talk on telephones.
Oh I didn't even know that at all, I'm kinda still new to this
The Following User Says Thank You to lovesostrong87 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2017, 03:15 PM

Can someone help me on my telmate account under my contacts it has my friend who’s the inmate and has booking and a date , now telmate told me this was the day he got booked into the facilty but he was booked 15 years ago and his dates under his booking changes all the time up to today’s date so far so does anyone know what this means?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy1983 For This Useful Post:
Breaz (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Hi I've been wondering why that booked date changes so often myself. I'm about to leave him because I believe that booked date means he received a friend request or had a video visit with someone. I have no problem with him visiting but I do have an issue with being lied to about it. I need to know what this date means and why it keeps changing. Please if anyone has a definitive answer you'll be saving one of us a great deal of heartache. Thank you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Breaz For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-20-2018)