Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Prisoner Addiction Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prisoner Addiction Resources Prison and prison release specific topics and resources regarding addiction.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Default How to get suspended drivers license reinstated after drug conviction?

My husband received a 2 year sentence for posession of a controlled substance, anabolic steroids, along with another 2 yr sentence for agg assault, to run concurrently. As a result of the drug conviction, his drivers license is suspended. How does one go about getting it reinstated after he's released? Does he have to carry auto insurance in his name if he's in TDCJ? Can it be reinstated while he's still incarcerated? I think he has to take some sort of drug treatment program or class, not sure, but are those offered in TDCJ? How will he be able to identify himself when he's released if his license is invalid? We wanted to take a trip shortly after his release next February, but he can't get a passport or plane ticket without a valid I.D. If there's anything we can do while he's still in prison, I'd like to get started. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

FEBRUARY 7, 2008 :love:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2007, 07:17 AM

I guess I thought one of the research assistants could assist.

FEBRUARY 7, 2008 :love:
Old 05-22-2007, 08:57 AM
February 2008

I am also facing this when my husbands is released. I contacted the Drivers services in my state to get all the info. Our's is gonna be a long road ahead of us since his revocation was due to failure to appear on his 2nd DUI. I hope you have better news.
Good luck!!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I don't know about your states, but you may have to lay out a fair amount of money to get a license reinstated. Minnesota charges, the last time I looked, $750 to reinstate a driver's license after it has been suspended or revoked for drug or alcohol-related reasons. Thanks to our ever-clever lawmakers, this is regarded as a "civil fee" rather than an additional fine, and so has withstood any number of court challenges.

I'm not 100% certain about the specifics, but a driver's license, even if presently under suspension, can be used as an ID in at least some circumstances. It is also possible to get a state ID card in most states which looks just like a driver's license and serves the same purpose for identification.

I cannot imagine anyone having to carry auto insurance while incarcerated. Mind, if someone is driving his car, it will have to be insured one way or another.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK