Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oklahoma that do not fit into any other Oklahoma sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Donation Award 

Question Any Vermonters here in Oklahoma prisons?

I understand that some of the prisoners from Vermont get sent to a prison in OK? Does anyone know which prison? What is it like there? What is the layout? Phone system? How long are they in their cells a day? Activities etc?

We have a friend who may be transfered there and we would really like some information. The hardest part right now is not knowing his future (time, place, etc.)

Thank you so much for anything you might be able to share or where I can get started.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Donation Award 

Ok...I figured out what prison it is. It's North Fork Correctional Facility in Sayre, OK. The prison was built in 2000, it can hold up to 1440 inmates, it's a medium security prison and is 130 miles W of OK City and 130 mil E of Amarillo, TX.

Now, anybody have and info for me on it? Thanks tons.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Trust&Obey..my fav hymn

Hi MountainMom, I'm Lainie.

My husband was recently transferred from Colorado to North Fork as well.

I haven't been to visit him yet, but I'm going in July.

However, my mother-in-law recently went and she said the visitations are VERY laid back.

Her and my husband both have told me that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing there. You can ask one guard something and get an answer, then ask a different guard the same thing and get a completely DIFFERENT answer.

Commissary items and phone calls cost MUCH more than they did in Colorado. I don't know if that will be the case for your friend since he was in a Vermont prison, but I thought I'd better let you know it's a possibility.

When he first gets transferred there do not expect to hear from him for a long time. They're in lockdown while they go through orientation, and apparently that takes DAYS.

Oh gosh, there's some things I want to tell you but I don't want you getting upset, so I'll skip to the good stuff. Besides, some of the things that happened to my poor husband (nothing violent) may be isolated incidents too.

My husband said the prison is probably the most laid back place he's been in so far (he's been transferred EIGHT times in the last 15 months). He said there's a lot of respect between prisoners and nobody really talks about or asks about each other's charges.

The food is terrible he said, worse than the last place he was in.

Sayre is a GHOST town. There's really only one decent hotel there but it costs $80/night. If you go a little further down I-40 you'll have a lot more choices in Elk City and it's not very far from the prison.

They're in lockdown A LOT, and they're about to have a week-long lockdown (no phone calls) so they can have a prison-wide "shake down".

My husband did say there aren't ANY Oklahoma prisoners there anymore. All the prisoners there now are from Vermont, Colorado, Wyoming....and he said there are some coming from another state soon too (I think he said Maine).

Did you visit your friend a lot before? I'm sure this move really puts a damper on visitors that live so far away. If you do go see him, you can request a special visit for both days, instead of just one.

I'm going to tell my mother-in-law about this thread because she has actually been there and I haven't yet. She'll be able to fill you in on a lot more details I'm sure.

God bless,
~Lainie

Last edited by T&O; 04-26-2007 at 08:48 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 AM

Here's something interseting too. The inmates from Colorado wear GREEN. Those from Wyoming wear bright ORANGE. And those from Vermont wear very bright YELLOW!! Now why is that? Seems to me that this clothing nonsense is a way of causing seperatism in the prison. As if they need any more of that!

Also--the visitation in NF is only on Saturday and Sunday--not Friday too. So if you want to visit those 2 days--you have to get special permission from the assistant Warden thru Ms. Wilmerth (ext. 88030). She seems to be a very nice person. She helped me alot and even RETURNED MY PHONE CALLS!!!

Also--the part of the facility that we saw is very clean--I hope where the inmates are is the same--Austin didn't mention otherwise. He did say that ALL their clocks were stolen though! So now no one knows what time it is unless they ask the unit manager--how strange is that?

I'll try to answer any questions you have about NF--but my knowledge is limited!

Blessings--Linda
Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Donation Award 

Default THANK YOU both

Oh, thank you so much. Our friend hasn't been transfered anywhere yet, which is nice for us. He is in Southern State CF in Springfield, VT and it sounds like a lot of the guys go to KY, but some to OK. I don't know how they choose or when, but that's the name of the game- right? He is looking to get into a good substance abuse program and is currently taking some classes along with AA. Do you know anything about them there? I guess the foods not so hot where he is now (he's also picky), so if it's gross there I'm sure it's all the same. I guess they don't really use salt, pepper or herbs and spices- just plain food.

Laine, don't worry about scaring me. I'd rather hear it like it is so I can be prepared. We do talk a lot and I can send him care packages from a company called mycarepack.com. Is there anything like that there?

Dizmayzie- thanks about the jumpsuits. You would think the Vters would where green...we're the Green Mtn State. It does seem odd that they are all put in difft colors and they had their clocks stolen. That would drive me crazy.

Thank you so much and any added info is always really helpful.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 PM

HI MM-When Austin first got to NF-I checked the Secur/pak web site and it looks like NF does NOT offer gift packs. BUT--it might be another company. So--I will be checking with the prison shortly to see if they do allow them. We are going to contact Colorado CURE to complain about the high canteen prices and the high phone calls--hope we can get something done about them.

We'll keep you posted as we learn too.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Trust&Obey..my fav hymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMom
Laine, don't worry about scaring me. I'd rather hear it like it is so I can be prepared.
Well, honestly, I'm glad you feel that way because this really is something your friend should probably know.

When my husband first got transferred there, him and three other inmates were held in a holding cell. THE GUARDS KEPT FORGETTING TO FEED THEM!!

They'd have to bang on the door and scream and even then it would take a really long time before a guard decided to go see what the commotion was all about!

Isn't that terrible??!!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Donation Award 

Oh my gosh, that is ridiculous. How can something like that happen? It's weird. The prison where he is is VERY boring, but I think he is being treated really well considering. Yes, the food stinks (he's also a whiz in the kitchen so it's hard to compare), but the CO's are almost always curteous to him. You get what you give and if you give respect, you get it back. Being an adult helps too.

I do hope he goes to KY because of the Substance Abuse program and it's a bit closer. The phone will be more wherever he goes and I don't know about canteen.

Laine: I read your website, I am so sorry about your husband. I just hope that your new attny can make things right and you can have your whole family together again soon. Prayers are being sent your way.

Thanks for everything and even if our friend doesn't go to OK, your info will surely help others out there. I'll keep you in the loop as things progress.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Trust&Obey..my fav hymn

You're welcome MountainMom, I'm just glad I was able to give you SOME info. I hope that your friend gets sent to KY too if that's where the treatment he needs is!

Thank you for the prayers, that's what we need the most!

Many blessings,
~Lainie