Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MASSACHUSETTS > Massachusetts Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Massachusetts Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Massachusetts prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & and related topics.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 AM

Angry People are rude and CO's are no help at MCI Shirley/UPDATE

Visiting MCI Shirley every week. Was told we must wait at the Red Gate which is located at Harvard and Shaker Road outside the prison grounds. ok, we follow the rules and wait there in our cars , some for hours but when it comes time for 12:00 which is the time you can go on the prison grounds, there is rude , ignorant people who just drive right up in front of all of us waiting , some for hours ! They also sneak in and wait in parking lot, or the CO sits at the top of the lobby drive way, knowing we are waiting down the street , FOLLOWING the rules , and allows these cheaters to go right in ! This is so unfair , we are not criminals ! We are simply people who wish to visit out loved ones ! All should follow the rules and CO's should make them follow the rules too ! I am writing a letter to the commissioner and we get more of us who wait and follow rules to write too and going to start getting the names of the cheaters who break the rules and reporting them to the commissioner as the CO's could care less . TO all CO's , just remember one thing , we pay your salary and we are not criminals ! so treat us with respect !

Last edited by AmiRoi; 11-16-2014 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something
The Following User Says Thank You to AmiRoi For This Useful Post:
redgrl (11-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,723 Times in 1,115 Posts

Okay, maybe these people are inconsiderate, but cars sitting by the road are not in any sort of official waiting space to get in. Some people wait by the gate, some people wait at the coffee shop down the road, some people wait at home. They aren't breaking any rules by driving onto the grounds at noon. If you parked your car on the grounds before someone else and they walk in front of you to get into the door because they walk faster or take a shortcut or have longer legs, do you get bent out of shape? I agree, it would be nice if people would wave you ahead or something, IF they are even aware that you are waiting there, but you are certainly not entitled to first entry because you sat on the public road by the gate, no matter how long you waited. Let it go. Smile and be happy you get to see your loved-one every week. You'll be a lot happier if you don't sweat the small stuff.

And taking the attitude that you "pay someone's salary" is a pretty good way to piss people off and NOT be treated with respect.
AmiRoi (11-17-2014), joybubby (04-03-2017), JulieOfNE (01-25-2016)
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM

oh ok , I was told by a CO when I first started visiting that , Harvard and Shaker was the place we are suppose to go and wait at , humm wonder why he said that if it is not Official spot, but thank you for telling me that . I see sometimes 20 cars there waiting . Yes I am very happy to get in and see my loved one and 1st or 20th not matter to me , I just see how rude and inconsiderate some people are . it is really sad to see . There is just no respect anymore and the CO's most are very nice but there are some who yell and treat visitors like we are criminals and it is not fair ! but untill he is out of that prison system , I have to deal with this foolishness . Thank you for your reply
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AmiRoi For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (11-16-2014), patchouli (11-16-2014), redgrl (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 01:13 PM

I visit right next door at the max and I know exactly how you feel some co's are nice and very pleasant others could care less bout how you are treated. What I notcied when you response to their rudeness with kindess they truly have no idea what to do. Lol it's almost comical. And as far as other visitor I wouldn't sweat it some visitors are just not worth it. Keep your chin up not all places are bad and not all employees live to be jerks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovemybaby03 For This Useful Post:
AmiRoi (11-17-2014), redgrl (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 04:11 PM

I have done the waiting thing to go see my brother in gardner and had someone take my number and acted like they didn't hear me. At the end of the day its better to let it go then make a scene. You can write a letter but I doubt they will do much about it seeing that it is something the regulars do and not the random visitors. My brother has been to MCI shirley and I walked there so I understand your pain about getting a number after waiting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siesie617 For This Useful Post:
AmiRoi (11-17-2014), redgrl (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,916 Times in 870 Posts

I don't think Dakini has any knowledge of the institution you are visiting. It seems as thought it is just a general opinion of theirs. We line up where we are told, follow the rules and then some idiot tries to drive around all of us. We all try to be courteous to each other and people like that can cast a cloud on our mood at visitation. If there is a line people should respect it, CO's should enforce the rules evenly. Some of them get a kick out of pitting us against each other (I have seen this personally). I get up very very early to be in the first few in line so I can spend the maximum amount of time with my LO. If others want the same they should put the effort into it just like the rest of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to shs76 For This Useful Post:
AmiRoi (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM

Default I agree 100 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs76 View Post
I don't think Dakini has any knowledge of the institution you are visiting. It seems as thought it is just a general opinion of theirs. We line up where we are told, follow the rules and then some idiot tries to drive around all of us. We all try to be courteous to each other and people like that can cast a cloud on our mood at visitation. If there is a line people should respect it, CO's should enforce the rules evenly. Some of them get a kick out of pitting us against each other (I have seen this personally). I get up very very early to be in the first few in line so I can spend the maximum amount of time with my LO. If others want the same they should put the effort into it just like the rest of us.
week after week I see rude , ignorant people cut the long line of cars . just this week was two woman who came from the other end and turned around in front of the 20 cars who have been waiting ! People are damm plain nervy and rude ! and the CO's see this and do nothing about it . Let me tell you this , If this happened outside the prison grounds , they would only do it to me one time . I get up early every week an drive two hours. they best not think they are going to cut in front of me , get in the back of the line like everyone else ! Thank you , you also see what goes on . hugs
shs76 (11-18-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 09:00 AM

You wait at the gate for ALL visits? My Husband is in the minimum, and I'm going for my first visit today.....
Old 12-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Default Hi Merry Christmas !

You have to wait in line outside the prison on shaker and harvard streets only if you are visiting at the 1 pm Visitations . 5:30 pm you do not but today visiting is only 1-4 pm, enjoy your visit
AdamsGirl2013 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM

I used to go to the max,never waited by the gate,I waited on the other side,much closer to max...and dakini is right,ok you got there early and had to wait till 12,how is that someone elses fault? people that live closer,just get there by 12 and if yall park are they supposed to stop their car and let u all guys drive first cus u got there early? I used to drive almost 2 hours to get there and had to wait,few times other people drove by me,not a big deal.come on,now what used to piss me off were the cos...no that shirt is a no go,mind u i had the same shirt 2 sundays ago,and things like that really got at me,not people driving pass me!! the cos can be a PAIN!!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ida36 View Post
I used to go to the max,never waited by the gate,I waited on the other side,much closer to max...and dakini is right,ok you got there early and had to wait till 12,how is that someone elses fault? people that live closer,just get there by 12 and if yall park are they supposed to stop their car and let u all guys drive first cus u got there early? I used to drive almost 2 hours to get there and had to wait,few times other people drove by me,not a big deal.come on,now what used to piss me off were the cos...no that shirt is a no go,mind u i had the same shirt 2 sundays ago,and things like that really got at me,not people driving pass me!! the cos can be a PAIN!!
well if you are in line and coming up the street , turning into the road to the lobby , do you think it is okay for someone who just got there to cut you off ???? if you do , then I have no idea what you are thinking . I drive 2 hours also and I wait 2 hours . we enter the property on time as the rules state ! If " everyone " follows the rules and enters the prison grounds NOT before 12 noon , most problems will be solved . but I see week after week , them coming 15 - 5 minutes early . I think if you was waiting for hours and finally am in line turning onto the road for the lobby , you would not like someone cutting in front of you . I was brought up to respect other people and brought up with morals . I would never just cut someone off and think too bad , but that is just me . We are following the rules as we was told by the CO's . Happy New Year !
Old 01-02-2015, 06:36 AM

Thanked 3,764 Times in 1,414 Posts

I am sorry for the infuriating hassle.. The teaching moment for me is at least it is a common theme about "the rules" applying to some people but not all and the guards get to decide to whom they apply the rules. At least that is universal.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
Old 01-04-2015, 03:35 AM

for the most part what I have seen , most CO's are very nice , there are a few power hungry one's who think they can treat the visitors like inmates sadly BUT the thing is , they should NOT be treating even the inmates badly as they are human beings who have made bad choices and mistakes ! They should not be punished daily for mistakes they have made in their lives . It could be their loved one's someday . They lost their rights and freedom , that is far punishment enough, do not treat them like dirt bags everyday ! If you treat people with respect for the most part you will get it back . The clothing is a pain in the ass yes , I also have been turned away for a shirt I would the week before , this is why now I am very careful and wear mostly the same thing every week . You never know who is going to be in that trap and there is one female CO that can be a real hard ass , why I have no idea . I hope now that the holidays are over, things will return to normal as normal as it can be and hopefully the CO's will sit at the top of the street again of the lobby and stop the early birds , yesterday , they sent two cars off the property for coming in early ! Thank you CO's !
Old 01-04-2015, 03:43 AM

Default Thank you CO's Shirley

Finally a CO , not sure who it was , sent these early birds off the property before 12 noon on Saturday , two cars cut pass the waiting line of cars on Harvard and Shaker streets and once they went down the lobby road , they was sent off the property . This would be great every week !
Old 01-25-2016, 04:12 AM
Collaterally Damaged
Donation Award 

Default Application 4 Visits?

Okay, so I've got an invitation to visit someone up in MCI Shirley who's working on meeting with state prison caucuses for providing medical care and compassionate release. Do I have to put in an application to visit this person? How does one go about getting approval to visit? Keep in mind, I've met him AFTER he got in there. I don't expect it to be easy because he's an activist and they definitely are pissy @ him and any activity. I also got pissy with THEM about an inmate who was beaten half to death - so they know me, and not for entirely good reasons. Any ideas or info would help.

I own at omlettes - don't question it
Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,916 Times in 870 Posts

You definitely have to be on his approved visitor's list. You may have a hard time as you did not know him before he was incarcerated.

You may want to contact a member here: wecandobetter. She is an activist in MA. Also there is a group that works in many MA prisons and county jails www.concordprisonoutreach.org they are not just affiliated with Concord State Prison

Somewhere I have the name of a group that supplies a lot of the medical care in MA. If I find it I will send it to you. Found it! Commonwealth Care Alliance

Finally, there is a very high profile person fighting for this here in MA. Debbie DiMasi wife of former speaker of the house Sal DiMasi has joined the battle for the exact same topics you are concerned with.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:43 AM
Collaterally Damaged
Donation Award 

I do know that it is common practice in prison systems to request certain ministers to visit you. For this reason, you'll find a lot of unofficially ordained ministers. For about 50 bucks, I can get ordained out of a ministry in CA that has the official capacity to 14 people as ministers., and another $10 will get me licensed in Massachusetts. This is only for performing marriage ceremonies. All it is a matter of cash and footwork. My person has a letter into Michelle Obama's personal assistant, they are discussing her involvement in these matters, and there is to be finally a meeting between prisoners and legislators in the state house at some point possibly in the next 3 to 6 months.

I own at omlettes - don't question it
Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,832 Times in 4,926 Posts

When I first visited my LO I had no idea about the unwritten visiting etiquette and why would I have done? I drove staight into into the car park. I didnt do this because to be rude or ignorant I just didnt know. A lot of people maybe just dont know the rules other visitors have made up.
Some of the cars may have been waiting hours somewhere else? They dont have to join the unofficial queue.
I wish I could visit a lot more havent seen my LO in 18 months but when I next go who gets to the door before me will be the least of my concerns.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
joybubby (04-03-2017), TheMiracleWorker (01-26-2016)