Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MASSACHUSETTS > Massachusetts Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Massachusetts Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Massachusetts prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & and related topics.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Donation Award 

Question 1st Visit Ever-tips?- Shirley Medium

I am counting down to the first visit of my boyfriend who will be in Shirley medium when I go! I have never been to any prison ever. I would appreciate any advice (nothing is too basic to mention as I have never been anywhere). I have read some of the posts regarding this but from what I understand rules change so I would appreciate some current information please. I am flying into Logan from O'Hare or Midway. Here is what I need to know please:

- is there car rental at Logan
- how is the ride from the airport to the prison (time, traffic, easy to navigate/ get lost)
- hotels? Nice clean close to the prison or would it be better to stay in Boston and drive back and forth (will be there for 3-4 days)
- admin for the prison (out of state visitation, paperwork to be able to visit, etc)
- what happens once I enter the prison (what can I bring with me, leave in the car,)
- what will I need (what is a canteen card and how do I get it)
- dress code (I plan on wearing a sweater set and dark cargo pants with a pair of leather Doc Martens regular sole nothing too thick regular shoes not boots. My watch as well and I have yet to find a bra in my size that doesn't have an underwire that does the job- will that be a problem?). I also have a wire attached to my entire row of bottom teeth (permanent retainer won't come out)
- how early should I get there?
- is it in a safe part of town?
- how are the people that work there overall? How do I make a good impression?
- I am on several pain meds because of medical conditions. What do I do with those?
- any other tips or experiences with Mass DOC that you would like to share

Thank you for your time
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Account Closed

How exciting!! I've been to Shirley Medium many times so I can help:
- is there car rental at Logan - Yes, there are tons of rentals there so you will have your pick.

- how is the ride from the airport to the prison (time, traffic, easy to navigate/ get lost) Eecckk!! You should have flown into Manchester airport in New Hampshire, which is only an hour to Shirley Medium. This airport is way smaller and much easier to navigate than Logan. It will be tricky getting from Logan to Shirley. Logan airport is a nightmare. The traffic is terrible, weather will probably be bad, and it's easy to get lost. It should take you an hour and a half or maybe two hours depending on weather.

- hotels? Nice clean close to the prison or would it be better to stay in Boston and drive back and forth (will be there for 3-4 days) Do NOT stay in Boston! The drive is way to difficult to do that. Shirley is a tiny town so there are no hotels there. The best place to get a hotel would be Leominster, a bigger city which is 15 minutes from the prison.

- admin for the prison (out of state visitation, paperwork to be able to visit, etc) Since you are coming from out of state, you qualify for an extended visit. This means that you can visit Thursday-Sunday for 8 hours each day. Your boyfriend should know this and has to request it to his main CO and case worker. If approved, you will be put into the computer and you can have your extended visit. This needs to be done right away!

- what happens once I enter the prison (what can I bring with me, leave in the car,) Leave your cell in the car. Bring in just your coat and ID and 25 cents for the locker and money to put on the canteen card. Once you go in the front door, grab a ticket, which is a number. Then go through the two doors and fill out the form for your visit. Wait for your number to be called, go to the window where the CO is and he/she will process you. Then, put all your stuff in the locker. The only thing you can take in with you is the key to the locker, your coat (empty pockets) and your canteen card. Make sure you have no jewelry on and nothing in your pockets. Then go back to the waiting room and get a canteen card. Then you will wait for them to call the last name of the inmate who you are visiting and you will go through security.

- what will I need (what is a canteen card and how do I get it)Canteen card will be sold in the waiting room. It costs 1 or 2 dollars to by the card from the little machine. Once you buy the card then you can put however much on the card that you need. I recommended 40 bucks or more on there

- dress code (I plan on wearing a sweater set and dark cargo pants with a pair of leather Doc Martens regular sole nothing too thick regular shoes not boots. My watch as well and I have yet to find a bra in my size that doesn't have an underwire that does the job- will that be a problem?). I also have a wire attached to my entire row of bottom teeth (permanent retainer won't come out)Don't wear a turtle neck sweater. Cargo pants are iffy. It may be better to wear jeans. Tons of women go in with super tight jeans. No watch allowed. Don't wear an underwire in unless you want to be stripped searched behind the door from a female gaurd. Wire in your mouth isn't a problem

- how early should I get there? They start letting people in at noon, and I recommend being there at that time. You can't get on the grounds any earlier

- is it in a safe part of town?It's not in the town of Shirley. It's in the middle of nowhere

- how are the people that work there overall? How do I make a good impression?Depends on who the COs are that day. For the most part, Shirley is very easy going. You can kiss him when you first see him and hug. Then you sit across from each other and he can't cross the line. You can hold hands and only you can get up to get food, he has to sit there. It's probably the best place I've been for visits.

- I am on several pain meds because of medical conditions. What do I do with those?You will have to leave those in your car or your locker. Can't take those in with you even if you have a doctor's note.

- any other tips or experiences with Mass DOC that you would like to share Make sure you know your car's license number as you will have to put it on the form. It can be very nerve wracking the first time, but after that it's super easy. Don't be too lovey dovey or super grabby with him as the COs don't like that and I've seen many women banned and kicked out for being too touchy. The worst part for you is the drive from Boston to Shirley. Good luck and let me know how it went!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker01 View Post
I am counting down to the first visit of my boyfriend who will be in Shirley medium when I go! I have never been to any prison ever. I would appreciate any advice (nothing is too basic to mention as I have never been anywhere). I have read some of the posts regarding this but from what I understand rules change so I would appreciate some current information please. I am flying into Logan from O'Hare or Midway. Here is what I need to know please:

- how is the ride from the airport to the prison (time, traffic, easy to navigate/ get lost)
- hotels? Nice clean close to the prison or would it be better to stay in Boston and drive back and forth (will be there for 3-4 days)
- admin for the prison (out of state visitation, paperwork to be able to visit, etc)
- what happens once I enter the prison (what can I bring with me, leave in the car,)
- dress code (I plan on wearing a sweater set and dark cargo pants with a pair of leather Doc Martens regular sole nothing too thick regular shoes not boots. My watch as well and I have yet to find a bra in my size that doesn't have an underwire that does the job- will that be a problem?). I also have a wire attached to my entire row of bottom teeth (permanent retainer won't come out)
- I am on several pain meds because of medical conditions. What do I do with those?

Thank you for your time

Last edited by ajlm8266; 12-06-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 PM

is this the same process for SBCC? im going for the first time too.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ida36 View Post
is this the same process for SBCC? im going for the first time too.
hi
its pretty much the same as far as the processing only thing on that its that there its no canteen card there its no food to be eating in there.
same for arrival time cannt b there any earlier than 12pm i believe .
here clothes code are tricky so try to be just regular or simple on that , i sais this bcos 1st time i went there i had a tank top n a cardigan to cover up its allowed no problem in one of my fallowing visits i wore grey jeans with lil "cristal studs"on the pockets i called before i went just to check they said it was fine as long as there wasnt alot of them of a lot of metal . when i got there she said some i told her i called n what i was told so she moved on to the" strechiness" of the pants saying the had to be 100% cotton i was like ok {to my self}, she went on n wrote me down but let me in mind you there was a girl with a big butt hole on the pockets and it was so tight she went in with nooooo problem , come to find out you get 3 writes n your visits are cancel . on my next visit i just wore my regular levis {and yes there were strechy} a sweater and my regular flats n no problem wat so ever , plus i had my baby with me n i like easy to remove n easy to put on shoes n stuff when i bring them with me .
meanwhile 2 girls got turn around for a V neck shirts that were no even low enough to see their cleavage one could nt get in at all poor thing was just sitting there crying her ride was already inside so she had no schoice but to seat there the other one argued about it and still had to go to her car n find some else , when she got back the c.o. she argued with told her some else about just going n do what shes told next time , ugggh.
anyways just keep it simple dresses n skirts 2 inches pass the knee when sitting down .
about the cargos avoid them if you can some cos are a lil iffy IF THEY HAVE ONE TO MANY POCKETS .
LIKE SHE SAID ITS UP TO WHO ARE THE CO S THAT DAY AND I APPLY THIS TO PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING IN THERE , I JUST TRY TO BE AS HUMBLE AS I CAN N FOLLOW THEIR RULES AS GOOD AS I CAN . LUCK
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM

wow! i guess i will be buying "special clothes" every time i go visit him,what a hassle really!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ida36 View Post
wow! i guess i will be buying "special clothes" every time i go visit him,what a hassle really!
I know what you mean to go visit my brother I used to call it the visitors uniform
Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siesie617 View Post
I know what you mean to go visit my brother I used to call it the visitors uniform
visitors uniform lol thinking im gonna look like a secretary every time i go visit
Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker01 View Post

Thank you for your time
You are supposed to wait at the RED GATE at Harvard and Shaker Road , just so you know and not get people who are waiting ahead of you upset , why the prison does not post this about where to wait before 12noon is beyond me , must be too much work for them, good luck with your visit
Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 PM

I hate Mci Shirley medium. The CO's are extremely rude, I got barred from
Visiting for one year because the CO's think they are gods up there! I'm glad
My mans not there anymore!!!