Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM

Default Federal Halfway houses closing due to budget cuts

Hi All,
Just received this email from FAMM. Apparently our current administration is closing (or not renewing) HWH contracts due to "budget cuts". Please write to your congressperson and express your concerns.

Copy of Email received yesterday:
Some federal prisoners and their families have reached out to us over the past couple of months to let us know how changes in halfway houses were affecting them. For example, we heard that at least one halfway house in Ohio had been closed, which meant that prisoners slated to go there for reentry services needed to stay in prison a few extra months, go to another halfway house far from home, or both.

We decided to look into this issue further. Last week, we emailed more than 30,000 federal prisoners and asked them about their halfway house experiences. The responses have been disturbing. We have learned that this problem is not confined to Ohio, but is occurring in many parts of the country. The disruptions for some prisoners have been abrupt. One prisoner wrote to us, “I was due to be released to a halfway house next week and was notified today that my date has been changed to March 2018. My family was prepared for me to come home, and they will be devastated to hear that my date was changed one week from me going home.”

We have reached out to officials in the Trump administration and Congress. So far, we have learned that more than a dozen halfway houses have been closed (or declined to renew their contracts with the Federal Bureau of Prisons) due to budget cuts. We are still awaiting answers from others about whether these closures are the beginning or the end of the downsizing process.

For years, we have been telling policymakers that they were wasting taxpayer money by keeping so many low-level offenders in prison. Some of these policymakers have responded that public safety is too important to be measured in dollars and cents. Now, these same policymakers are using budget concerns to jeopardize the successful reentry of prisoners back into society. This is plain stupid, and we are going to fight it.

For now, please know that we are aware of this problem and are working to fix it. If you and your family are being affected by halfway house closures, please know that you’re not alone. We will be back in touch as soon as we have more information. In the meantime, if you want to take action, please call your member of Congress and let him or her know how the Bureau of Prisons’ halfway house closures are affecting your family and your loved one’s reentry.

Best,

Kevin A. Ring
President, FAMM
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AndieNik For This Useful Post:
Hurley123 (10-20-2017), marrybelle (10-23-2017), Minor activist (10-19-2017), ndnjon (10-14-2017), NewWorldMom (10-19-2017), supermama (10-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,661 Times in 7,086 Posts

Remember, too, that trump removed the EO that took the private sector out of prisons. Private prisons make more money on bodies in beds, so anything that would stop bodies from being in beds in private prisons would adversely effect the bottom line of the private prison industry. Further, because halfway houses are a transition point (one of the few) that allow people to get their bearings after prison, removing them should increase recidivism thus increasing the number of bodies in beds.

It has never been the position of the trump administration that low level offenders do not belong in prison. That was a policy of the Obama administration. We have two things working against us in this realm - 1. Trump seems to want to undo everything that Obama did and 2. Trump is all about companies making profits, and one of the very first things he did was get private prison corporations back into the federal system at increasingly aggressive levels.

I feel for the people, inmates and their families, who are caught up in all of this. It will not be a fun ride to freedom.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (10-25-2017), fbopnomore (10-11-2017), Hurley123 (10-20-2017), ndnjon (10-14-2017), Nickel Timer (10-12-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 AM

Default BOP not renewing contracts with certain Halfway Houses

I think someone had posted about the BOP not renewing contracts with certain Halfway Houses (Residential Reentry Centers RRC) but I can't find the thread and my guy was just asking me about it. Does anyone have an article about this?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2017, 06:08 AM

I haven't heard anything on this but am definitely curious. The halfway house mine is at isn't great. However, it's better than fci.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

Here's more information.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1CI2ZA

Quote:
Ricardo Martinez, the Chief U.S. District Judge in the Western District of Washington and Chairman of the Committee on Criminal Law of the Judicial Conference of the United States, told Reuters he has sent a letter to the Bureau of Prisons’ new Director Mark Inch requesting discussions.
“From our perspective, these facilities are not only useful - they are essential,” Martinez said.
The BOP says they're just consolidating under-used RRCs and those in small population areas.
lolo21216 (10-14-2017), Lovebirds (10-18-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Here's more information.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1CI2ZA

The BOP says they're just consolidating under-used RRCs and those in small population areas.
Thank You, much appreciated!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 AM

FAMM has it on their website;

http://famm.org/halfway-house-horrors/

You can sign up for updates from FAMM. I got an email update about the halfway house situation a few days ago.
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-15-2017), lolo21216 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
FAMM has it on their website;

http://famm.org/halfway-house-horrors/

You can sign up for updates from FAMM. I got an email update about the halfway house situation a few days ago.
Very helpful thank you so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
Lovebirds (10-18-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Anyone know which 1/2 way houses are closing/lost their funding?

Does anyone know which 1/2 way houses are closing/lost their funding? With Trumps BS budget cutting, several release dates are getting moved. My LO said some guys are not finding out until a few days before that they have to stay another 50+ days!! I am trying to find a list of which one's are being effected, however I am not having any luck.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,187 Times in 10,376 Posts

It's something of a paradox. The reduction in the use of privately owned, for profit prisons under the last administration has been abandoned by the current one. Maybe they haven't figured out yet that halfway houses are also privately owned, for profit companies.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:32 PM

I don't know specifically which halfway houses, but two people with my LO have both had to stay longer b/c of the halfway house issue. One in NC and one in OH. It's beyond reprehensible... the affect this has on the inmate and their family is just devastating.
The Following User Says Thank You to edb00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 PM

Wow - I guess that explains the delay in the process for my LO release. He has 13 months left and about 6 months ago they had him do a questionnaire for parole/half way house and I haven't gotten contacted. He is supposed to have home confinement but they do what they want. Disappointed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VBsWife For This Useful Post:
edb00 (10-20-2017), fbopnomore (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,263 Posts

Each halfway house has a Federal Contract. You could contact FedCure and see if they can get a list. I don't think they are all renewed at the same time.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The list of current bop half way houses shows when each one's current contract expires by clicking on "more details" about each HWH.
https://www.bop.gov/business/rrc_directory.jsp

What that won't tell you is which contracts the bop administrators will decide to cancel early for cause. Of course "cause" includes "because we can".
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,263 Posts

I think with a bit of investigation, given the link above, a good research librarian can easily find out if the Feds put out Requests for Proposal or renewals in the daily publication from the Feds (I have forgotten the name.) Actually, you can also call the Public Information office of the BOP and I think they will tell you. If they don't, call the Congress Rep in the halfway house district and they can find out very quickly. Hopefully, BOP will be going to a Home Confinement system, but because that makes sense, I doubt it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
edb00 (10-22-2017), fbopnomore (10-22-2017), M1SHKA (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Are Federal Halfway Houses Closing?

Hello do anyone know which half way house in OH is closed. Im waiting on BOP to assign me to a bed in Columbus can anyone help me. Federal by the way.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. You can call the federal HWHs in Ohio. I don't think the bop has announced their plans for private prison companies and HWH contracts.
https://www.bop.gov/business/rrc_directory.jsp
Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM

Does this also effects California's halfway houses??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marrybelle For This Useful Post:
Hurley123 (10-23-2017), Lytebryte (11-03-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Not sure heard a lot of half way houses are losing their funding.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Legal background on RCCs and closed half way houses

Here is some info my inmate requested. I cannot post links but the article is on Sentencing DOT Net. There is a link at the bottom of the article to a PDF that includes the source statutes.

The article gives an overview of federal halfway houses or RCCs “Residential Re-Entry Centers” including the federal statutes governing RCCs as well as info on the current situation (which I included below).

Why The BOP Is Reducing Or Cancelling Federal Halfway House Placements

The reduction and/or cancellation of federal halfway house placements began in the summer of 2017. The cancellations were prompted by the closure of 16 federal halfway houses which were previously under contract with the BOP. Each of these federal halfway houses had 25 or fewer beds. Justin Long, a spokesperson for the BOP, told Reuters news service that the BOP “had to make some modifications to our programs due to our fiscal environment.”

I have not yet obtained the complete list of federal halfway houses that were closed. But I believe these 11 are on the list:
Wheeling, WV
Binghamton, NY
Durham, NC
Ashland, KY
Dayton, OH
Akron, OH
Columbia, MD
Dultuth, MN
Madison, WI
Mitchell, SD
Colorado Springs, CO

Apart from the closure of these federal halfway houses, though, it appears that, long “pre-release” federal halfway house placements will become the exception, rather than the norm, under the new administration.

What You Can Do If Your Federal Halfway House Time Was Cut

If you, or a loved one, were originally approved for a certain amount of halfway house–only to have that original release date stripped away–you have a few options.

1) Challenge the change in placement through the BOP’s Administrative Remedy Program. These reductions do not appear to be consistent with the BOP’s guidance memoranda. The approval of a prisoner for a particular date represents the BOP’s judgment that the prisoner needs that amount of time in a federal halfway house. To the extent the BOP truly cannot place a prisoner in a halfway house on his or her originally scheduled date, the BOP should work with the U.S. Probation Officer to place those affected prisoners on Federal Location Monitoring.

2) Have your friend or loved one contact the BOP Residential Re-Entry Manager.

3) Contact your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator in the state of your residence. You can request constituent service for something like this.

4) Litigation – while always an option there are many hurdles to challenging a reduced federal halfway house placement. And with the exhaustion of remedies requirement, the BOP very well may run out the clock on you through that process before you are released.

Read the entire article HERE.

Last edited by patchouli; 10-29-2017 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Inserted link to article
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewWorldMom For This Useful Post:
A.gladstone (11-03-2017), fbopnomore (10-26-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldMom View Post
Here is some info my inmate requested. I cannot post links but the article is on Sentencing DOT Net. There is a link at the bottom of the article to a PDF that includes the source statutes.

The article gives an overview of federal halfway houses or RCCs “Residential Re-Entry Centers” including the federal statutes governing RCCs as well as info on the current situation (which I included below).

Why The BOP Is Reducing Or Cancelling Federal Halfway House Placements

The reduction and/or cancellation of federal halfway house placements began in the summer of 2017. The cancellations were prompted by the closure of 16 federal halfway houses which were previously under contract with the BOP. Each of these federal halfway houses had 25 or fewer beds. Justin Long, a spokesperson for the BOP, told Reuters news service that the BOP “had to make some modifications to our programs due to our fiscal environment.”

I have not yet obtained the complete list of federal halfway houses that were closed. But I believe these 11 are on the list:
Wheeling, WV
Binghamton, NY
Durham, NC
Ashland, KY
Dayton, OH
Akron, OH
Columbia, MD
Dultuth, MN
Madison, WI
Mitchell, SD
Colorado Springs, CO

Apart from the closure of these federal halfway houses, though, it appears that, long “pre-release” federal halfway house placements will become the exception, rather than the norm, under the new administration.

What You Can Do If Your Federal Halfway House Time Was Cut

If you, or a loved one, were originally approved for a certain amount of halfway house–only to have that original release date stripped away–you have a few options.

1) Challenge the change in placement through the BOP’s Administrative Remedy Program. These reductions do not appear to be consistent with the BOP’s guidance memoranda. The approval of a prisoner for a particular date represents the BOP’s judgment that the prisoner needs that amount of time in a federal halfway house. To the extent the BOP truly cannot place a prisoner in a halfway house on his or her originally scheduled date, the BOP should work with the U.S. Probation Officer to place those affected prisoners on Federal Location Monitoring.

2) Have your friend or loved one contact the BOP Residential Re-Entry Manager.

3) Contact your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator in the state of your residence. You can request constituent service for something like this.

4) Litigation – while always an option there are many hurdles to challenging a reduced federal halfway house placement. And with the exhaustion of remedies requirement, the BOP very well may run out the clock on you through that process before you are released.

Thanks for this info. I am blessed I was released in Sept 2017 to a half way house in MO i got my full 6 months just the problem is I needed a relocation. So I did the relocation here cause my case manager in the prison camp did not want to do after i received my date. Do you know know that the PO has approved me in the other state to come, how long will Regions take to assign me to a half way house. I really want to get back to my old life and get my kids back.

Last edited by patchouli; 10-29-2017 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Inserted link to article in quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 PM

Default Article helpful as you write letters supporting half way houses

When writing my federal reps, I borrowed parts of this article. Posting in case others find it helpful.

Posted on The Hill DOT Com under Opionions.
DOJ closing halfway houses is a terrible idea, Congress must stop it
BY KEVIN RING, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 10/22/17 12:00 PM EDT 120

If you wanted to increase the chances that federal prisoners would commit new crimes when they are released, there are a few things you would do.
First, make lots of prisoners serve sentences that remove them from the community for far too long. Second, limit prisoners’ access to educational and job training opportunities and treatment for substance disorders and mental illness. Finally, as prisoners reach the end of their sentences, limit the time and services they are given to transition back to community.
Jeff Sessions’ Justice Department is doing all three of these things right now.

The attorney general obviously does not want crime to rise and prisoners to fail, but his department is implementing policies that raise the likelihood of both.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 10-29-2017 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
The Following User Says Thank You to NewWorldMom For This Useful Post:
Sunny Bee (10-28-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Default list of halfway houses affected?

Hi..I have looked around the web and cannot find a list of affected halfway houses, particularly in California. Do you have access to which ones were cut or not set for renewal?
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieNik View Post
Hi All,
Just received this email from FAMM. Apparently our current administration is closing (or not renewing) HWH contracts due to "budget cuts". Please write to your congressperson and express your concerns.

Copy of Email received yesterday:
Some federal prisoners and their families have reached out to us over the past couple of months to let us know how changes in halfway houses were affecting them. For example, we heard that at least one halfway house in Ohio had been closed, which meant that prisoners slated to go there for reentry services needed to stay in prison a few extra months, go to another halfway house far from home, or both.

We decided to look into this issue further. Last week, we emailed more than 30,000 federal prisoners and asked them about their halfway house experiences. The responses have been disturbing. We have learned that this problem is not confined to Ohio, but is occurring in many parts of the country. The disruptions for some prisoners have been abrupt. One prisoner wrote to us, “I was due to be released to a halfway house next week and was notified today that my date has been changed to March 2018. My family was prepared for me to come home, and they will be devastated to hear that my date was changed one week from me going home.”

We have reached out to officials in the Trump administration and Congress. So far, we have learned that more than a dozen halfway houses have been closed (or declined to renew their contracts with the Federal Bureau of Prisons) due to budget cuts. We are still awaiting answers from others about whether these closures are the beginning or the end of the downsizing process.

For years, we have been telling policymakers that they were wasting taxpayer money by keeping so many low-level offenders in prison. Some of these policymakers have responded that public safety is too important to be measured in dollars and cents. Now, these same policymakers are using budget concerns to jeopardize the successful reentry of prisoners back into society. This is plain stupid, and we are going to fight it.

For now, please know that we are aware of this problem and are working to fix it. If you and your family are being affected by halfway house closures, please know that you’re not alone. We will be back in touch as soon as we have more information. In the meantime, if you want to take action, please call your member of Congress and let him or her know how the Bureau of Prisons’ halfway house closures are affecting your family and your loved one’s reentry.

Best,

Kevin A. Ring
President, FAMM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1coolasschick For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (11-03-2017), marrybelle (10-30-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Default halfway house information

I'm just looking for information on halfway houses that are in Texas specifically Houston that are still up and running and will be come June to October of 2018? Can someone give me a list?
The Following User Says Thank You to crystal27 For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (11-03-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:27 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,309 Times in 13,650 Posts

There are some very helpful links in the thread that may help you figure out which contracts are expiring / not expiring, be sure begin reading at Post # 1.

Welcome to PTO
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (11-03-2017)