Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Default Needing INPUT! How can I help?

Hey friends!

I am working on the beginnings of a non profit organization that will help prisoners after their release and work on integrating them back into society. many of us know how you can get stuck in the revolving door and end up in and out of prison for life. I believe that convicts are one of the most (if not the most) neglected group of people in our country and it is NOT RIGHT. we are creating the very criminals we want to lock up by failing to provide them with adequate resources to reintegrate into society.

I am trying to narrow down where I initially want to focus my efforts on.... Where were you most left out to dry upon re-entering society? My initial thoughts would be that there needs to be more community support as far as getting a decent paying job. Perhaps therapy or other services? Please let me know, any input is more than welcome. I want to put efforts where it is needed.

thank you very much!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loveandlight For This Useful Post:
kevscousin (02-14-2017), whiskeyrpm (11-06-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 10:53 PM

Thanked 1,215 Times in 497 Posts

Bless you for trying to do this. My 1st suggestion is to help people in need without judging their crime. I'm not saying ignore your safety but view the person & don't just have a blanket policy saying we don't help people convicted of certain crimes. Everyone released needs help, some more than others because their label makes them toxic.

It has been our experience that having a central place to network for job leads is critical. My son served 6 months & thought with his education & job experience that he'd be able to work again rather soon. It was an awful experience for him to get 16 job offers in less than a year & have each one rescinded when they learned he had a conviction. He finally had to try starting his own business because no one would hire him. Ban the box is a cruel joke. There has to be someone willing to give these people a chance to prove themselves. Finding that person is almost impossible without help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
CristinaR (10-06-2016), lillillala (12-21-2016), whiskeyrpm (11-06-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Donation Award 

Default Children

You might consider the children of prisoners. Incarceration could be cut in half (my estimate) if we gave attention to children with incarcerated parents.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 AM

Thanked 1,050 Times in 583 Posts

Let me be a nerd and suggest a literature search on "reentry" and "recidivism prevention", if you haven't already, on top of the pure gold of asking here about first-hand experience.

People here know what's needed, and criminologists might know what works.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Donation Award 

Housing !!! So may complex, even all or most HUD section will ban them, because of there policy, per HUD or the complex is allowed to write there our policy and ban offenders, so finding a place to lay the head is a big deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to mssirois2u For This Useful Post:
kevscousin (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 03:18 PM

I've seen a list floating around somewhere of companies that don't discriminate against felons. I agree, there should be respect for someone who has paid their debt to society by doing their time. Should we punish them forever? No!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveandlight View Post
Hey friends!

I am working on the beginnings of a non profit organization that will help prisoners after their release and work on integrating them back into society. many of us know how you can get stuck in the revolving door and end up in and out of prison for life. I believe that convicts are one of the most (if not the most) neglected group of people in our country and it is NOT RIGHT. we are creating the very criminals we want to lock up by failing to provide them with adequate resources to reintegrate into society.

I am trying to narrow down where I initially want to focus my efforts on.... Where were you most left out to dry upon re-entering society? My initial thoughts would be that there needs to be more community support as far as getting a decent paying job. Perhaps therapy or other services? Please let me know, any input is more than welcome. I want to put efforts where it is needed.

thank you very much!
great idea! what kind of non-profit? Is it tax exempt? I recommend getting a 501c3 status so that you can start soliciting donations and get the donors IRS credit check.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM
OnparoleinTO

Hard to know where to start, since there are so many problems, but I would say finding employment is the single biggest thing, as having income is related to everything else - housing, health care, social life, etc. I hope it works for you!