Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Ohio.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Default What is Prison Like for Elderly WOMEN? Ohio

My 71 year old Mom is being sentenced to the maximum sentence on Wednesday for embezzlement ... can anyone tell me what Prison will be like for her over at Marysville? Ohio. :*( She's just this little old grandma of 20 kids, who honestly, was pushed to the limits ............ and helped everyone with everything, now she has lost her home, her car, all her savings, and is heading to prison. She is living with me, and my children, that's another thing, what do I tell them? they have NO CLUE what is going on ... and this Wednesday she will just be GONE ???
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM

I can't say exactly what prison will be like for your mom but in my experience elderly, low-risk, non-violent offenders are normally housed with other low-risk inmates and are usually treated well by staff and others. Often, when an elderly person has medical issues they are put into either a medical facility or housed in some form of SNY. Of course prison can always be dangerous no matter who you are and she will need, like anyone else, to be careful of who and how she associates with others.

As for your kids, honesty is the best policy IMO. I'll assume your mom spent some time in jail upon her initial arrest. What did you tell your kids then? It's so hard to explain to children that their LO did something wrong and is being punished. Depending on age they will understand the cause and effect but not that Grandma was taken away from them. Still, I'd rather my kids knew te truth that be lied too and find out the truth later.

I'm sorry you and your kids are going through this.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:18 PM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

Too late to answer the OP, but other people are going to look at this thread later.

Here in Washington someone even older than the OP's mom went to the women's prison. The other women locked up there treated her like they would their own grandmother.

"Everybody loves Mrs. Green and everybody knows who Mrs. Green is. Everybody,' she said. 'If anybody were to try to do anything to her, they'd probably have a riot on their hands.'
"

"
But the inmates also make concessions for her: most are sensitive about their language around her. Those who aren't are quickly shushed.
"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...prisoners.html