Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oklahoma that do not fit into any other Oklahoma sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Closed

The new bill is unfair - DOC is the ones benefiting from it. They will use the 20% to do whatever they want with & we will never see a penny of it. I pay my taxes & they still want more. We are doing a life sentence so why on earth would it need to go in a savings. They already take $4 monthly for savings. Now he won't let me send him any money which also makes me mad!!!! I want him to have the things he needs to live as comfortable as possible. If DOC wants to do something different, then let me & our families support my husband & take the burden from their/DOC hands. After all we were already doing that. Just like any other business, its all about making money.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2006, 12:00 AM

12-25-2005, 06:11 PM
jdcjmc1 vbmenu_register("postmenu_1606081", true);

IN California it is to pay fines and restitution and you should be glad it is only 20% because right now mine is 44% and after january he goes up to 56%.
================================================== =========

Hey everyone! 7-1-06
Copied the above post from Dec 2005 when I found it this evening. Came to PTO to learn
what I could about this new 20% to be held out of what LITTLE $$$ we're able to send our loved ones.... I found this post AND numerous others posted way before all of this came down this week.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE TO EFFECTIVELY COMPLAIN BESIDES THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE???? Each of us affected - that believe this is truly an unfair deduction of our hard-earned cash- needs to get busy with pen and paper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's obvious that once the "thing" began in California it grew to 44% and later (January 2006) to 56%. O.K..... no telling how FAST and FURIOUS it'll grow in Oklahoma. It surely will " take off" unless those of us affected "nip it in the bud" NOW and make ourselves heard!
De De - OKC

Last edited by De De - OKC; 07-02-2006 at 12:07 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Ronnies Girl

Default DOC Take 20%

I guess I am a little behind here. What exactly is this bill, what is it about, did it pass and what is the 20% coming from? I put a great deal of money on my husbands books for HIM to use not the state or the prison system. I also do not feel I should be paying any victims because my husband committed the crime BUT he is the one who was injured and He is the one who actually lost all his personal property to the people he was supposed to rob; so, I really do not think they need any more compensation. 50 years of his life enough!!!! I pay Ronnie's bills with my taxes, they take money off his books for medicine, medical, doctor, and all damages that he does to the prison. I contribute more than enough to running the prison system already. Enough is enough. HELP! Someone talk to me so I do not feel so stupid and also so I can explain this to Ronnie. Thanks for letting me vent in advance. I have a bad feeling I am not going to like what all of you are going to tell me. Later HUGS
Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Shaun's Wifey 2005

The 20% comes from any money they earn and any money they are sent. I really think this is so unfair to the families that are trying so hard to support their loved ones. It is already outrageous that they charge so much for things on commissary that we know they obtain at bulk rates. This is just another way to make the inmates lives miserable and discourage their families from keeping contact. I think if someone should benefit from the interest on a savings account, it should be the wives and children that no longer have that support in their family. I realize that the idea of a savings account (done right) may be a good idea as a cushion when they get out, but that should come from the inmates' wages. They should receive a fair wage for the work that they do and have some of that money put up for them, but the DOC can not be trusted to do the right thing. If they have no wages or are not ever going to see that money, then they shouldn't be penalized. The little money that I am able to give after my taxes and supporting the household should not be part of the equation, it just puts more of a burden on me. Where can we effectively complain before the percentage skyrockets?

Last edited by notlyte68; 07-10-2006 at 07:55 PM..
Old 07-11-2006, 10:58 AM

Talk to your House Representative & your Congressman. The squeeky wheel gets more grease. Start squeeking. I started as soon as I found out about it, talked to a House member as well as Congressman, but I guess I didn't squeek enough!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:36 PM

If you read the law carefully you will see that DOC can make the inmates (families) pay for room and board
Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Ronnies Girl

Default Money Taken

Thanks for the info. Ronnie got a memo at LCF explaining the new law. He was HOTto say the very least. They are postponing the implementation at LCF until August 1. What a crock. They also told them they could have a summer food package so I am working on that for him. This money thing is wrong, but I don't know exactly how we get our legislators to listen. I am contacting all of mine to see if they even knew what they agreed too. This was added on to the end of a major budget bill. At least this is what I am being told. I will let you know if I find out more and you guys keep me posted as well. Everyone stay cool and I will be back with ya later. HUGS
Old 07-16-2006, 03:27 PM

It was put in a Sex offender bill. At the begining of session it was in its own bill and was killed in Committee. Then at the end of session At DOC's push Senator Corn had it in 3 of his bills. CURE sent emails out about the bills. one got stop this one didn't get stop. CURE was tell inmates and families DOC wanted the 20% withdrawal since last fall.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Ronnies Girl

Default Taking our money

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the info. It was appreciated. I am glad to see it was attached to a bill and know who I need to vote for and against in the elections. We need to pay attention to those we can find to fight our causes. If you do not know what people running for office think and feel about DOC and our loved ones; ASK THEM. Most do not even know or care about what goes on except to keep them locked up, but there are some who will listen if you ask the questions and ask for their time. As far as I am concerned DOC has no right to ask me to pay for anything or to take what I send to my loved one in prison. I ALREADY PAY THE BILLS FOR MY LOVED ONES WITH MY TAX DOLLARS and the state government has no problem giving my money to the DOC!!! I believe everyone is entitled to a decent working wage and I know that prison work is dangerous BUT hang on just a dang minute when you do not take care of the inmates and you are taking our money from the phones, the canteen, medcial, legal......you name it and the inmate pays for it. If an inmate does have loved ones to stick with them and to try and make things better for them, you can be sure that DOC is taking their share. I am really HOT because Ronnie's shoes have been lost(HA HA HA HA !!) Like I believe that. He bought them off canteen and they were taken in a property restriction. FINE! But now they can't find them. The faciltliy has agreed to give him the money, but now we can't get them to put the money on Ronnie's books. I saw him yesterday and discussed the fact that our systen is all about punishment and retaliation and it is no wonder that inmates in our state never seem be able to just do their time and not have something or someone constantly create chaos and dissention. Sorry, I got wound up and started a sermon. I get tired sometimes, but one of these days all of this will be over and Ronnie and I will not have these issues to deal with. We will have day to day life out here in the world! That will be a blessing and day we live for. Better scoot. Thanks again everybody for the info and for letting me vent Later. HUGS
Old 07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyforashes
I believe it did and goes into effect on July 1.
Recieved an email from OKCure and this is not to start until Jan 1, 2007.

Wannamae
Old 07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Ronnies Girl

Smile Money

Thanks wannamae. I wonder if they are all on the same track, because they are already taking it off at LCF, but then LCF functions totally outside of all the rules. They make their own, DAILY
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Ronnies Girl

It is never too late. This will be reconsidered next session and we need to be ready. Let's get organized and see if we can't get the legislature to listen to our side of the story. I am writing in all these OK posts trying to get us sharing. Come on guys and gals out there TALK!! to me and to each other. COME ON OKIES where is your CAN DO SPIRIT!! Together we can do something to help all our people in prison and help oursleves too. Let me hear from you.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:48 PM

They do charge for visits it is $8 over the phone or video.