Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Oklahoma should be posted here.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Default Oklahoma commutation

So... my man just had his parole hearing this past Wednesday. He received a unanimous yes from the board. They were extremely impressed with his conduct, his programs, and his communication with the parole board. My mind is currently focused on getting together all the letters from friends, family, etc., to send to the governor so that hopefully she is on board and approves him.

The stumbling block is he has a consecutive sentence. The discussion between the lawyer and the board would suggest that the best route to go would be to apply for a commutation. Because of HB 1172, lawyers can no longer request that an inmate be brought up early to seek parole on a consecutive sentence after being approved for parole on the first. If they have a wait of three years between hearings, that is how long they will have to wait... no exceptions. Just observing the board and the lawyer discuss Jeremy's case, the board would have paroled him to the street if they had the power to do so, and barring that, they would have certainly recommended he come up early for consideration of parole on his next sentence. But their "hands are tied" and we can "blame the legislature."

They recommended exercising the right to apply for commutation under HB 1172. I don't know anything about this process. This new law goes into effect November 1, I believe. I don't think applying for commutation will be any different than it was before, but I am not certain of that. In any case, I don't know anything about how to apply for commutation, what to expect, how successful it is, how many times you're allowed to apply, etc. I have never read any threads concerning anyone who has experience with it either. I would definitely appreciate any knowledge anyone has.

For now, I am focusing on getting the governor's approval on this first sentence. Come the new year, I will be focusing on this commutation, and I'm just trying to get as much information as I can. Thanks. =)
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man ~ Psalms 118:6-8 (My man's verse)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 AM

I am no expert but I watch the parole site pretty close. We are doing life with the possibility of parole and have been before the board several times.

The fact that he was recommended on one of his sentences is great. I believe however I think he will have to wait either a year after his last appearance or a year prior to his next appearance before he can request to come up early. As for commutation, I would refer to the boards website on what those guidelines are or u can always call the parole board office to ask.

Either way congrats on the positive nod from the board and good luck on ur journey and if u have an out date remember how fortunate u r to know that your sojourn thru this will be temporary and one day he will come home to you.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Thanks, JKB. Starting next month, according to the parole board, there will be no more requests to come up early. That was one of the things the legislature changed. I have looked on the OK Pardon and Parole website and there is no explanation about how to go about applying for a commutation. I will certainly do as you've suggested and call their office to speak with someone in person. They recently updated their website so perhaps it isn't complete.

Thanks for your reply. I hope your man gets paroled the next time he comes up. Good luck!
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man ~ Psalms 118:6-8 (My man's verse)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM

In case anyone was interested in the changes coming down regarding how soon inmates can come up on a consecutive sentence, as well as the changes to the commutation application, I have attached a copy of the house bill passed in March (goes into effect in a couple days).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HB 1722.pdf (109.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 PM

I remember reading this. It is such B.S.!!!! I would like to know what judge, what cop, what DA is going to recommend commutation????!!!!!

I mean, really!!!! Who believes that this is ever going to happen??? Ummmm, the people whose main job is to throw people into jails and prisons are going to recommend commutation???? Are you kidding me?????
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKB's Girl View Post
I remember reading this. It is such B.S.!!!! I would like to know what judge, what cop, what DA is going to recommend commutation????!!!!!

I mean, really!!!! Who believes that this is ever going to happen??? Ummmm, the people whose main job is to throw people into jails and prisons are going to recommend commutation???? Are you kidding me?????
I had the same initial reaction, especially regarding the D.A. But sometimes judges are more sympathetic with defendants than we might imagine; they often don't make as many choices in the outcome as a jury or the D.A. Most defendants either cop a plea with prosecution or choose a jury trial. Trial by judge is extremely rare. I am not going to allow myself to be discouraged. I believe that once we can get that first letter of recommendation, the others will fall in line like dominoes.

I also believe that God can do what man cannot do. Jeremy has had some really amazing things go in his favor, and I am fully convinced that it was through prayer and dependence on God.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM

I don't know who else might possibly be interested, but the process for beginning the request for a commutation is outlined in the attachment. This is the OK Cure quarterly newsletter, and they have been kind enough to research and provide this information. Jeremy is eager to get this process started, and I will post updates on our experience with each step of the journey. If your loved one has an excessive sentence, I encourage you to seek some relief through this process. The application process is done by the inmate themselves and does not require the assistance of an attorney.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fall-2013_Newsletter.35330714.pdf (183.7 KB, 15 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jen For This Useful Post:
daleydouble (02-24-2014), mssirois2u (01-04-2015)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 AM

Even though the process for applying for commutation has been changed as of Nov. 2013, the actual application for doing so has still not been approved by the board. They are due to meet and vote on it sometime later this year, but as of this morning there is still no date set aside to approve the application. The administrative office says that as soon as it's approved, it will be available in the law library of each facility. Can you imagine the sheer volume of applications that will be sent by those who have been waiting all this time? This situation has been discouraging, and any who are inclined to pray I ask that you do.

On a positive note, Jeremy's parole recommendation was approved by the governor, and as of a couple of weeks ago, he is now "running wild." LOL
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM

Jeremy told me this morning that the unofficial word is the commutation application will soon be available, perhaps as early as next week. Has anybody else heard this?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM

It was slightly longer than a week, but I have definite confirmation that the commutation application has been finally approved by the board and should be available in each facility law library soon. Jeremy was shown one by a guy in there who received it from his lawyer today. He said one of the stipulations is that the sentence one is serving must be at least 20 years. This is perfect because he is running wild on a 25-year sentence. I hope this can benefit others, and although no one seems interested, I will update on our experience with the process. Perhaps I'll start a new thread once I'm able to get my hands on the actual application itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jen For This Useful Post:
AnarchyHeart (08-20-2014), mssirois2u (01-04-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 PM

Just Jen,
I've just found this thread - thank you for providing updates. I am very interested in this! My guy is serving life with possibility of parole. I'm new to all of this and still working to learn all that I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to sjb7262 For This Useful Post:
Just Jen (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 09:46 PM

Hi sjb, this has been a stressful journey. My man has been working on getting the information he needs for the past 4 months, which has been difficult because all of the records he is seeking are from before he was incarcerated 18 years ago (some from as far back as 25 years ago) and have therefore been archived in some warehouse somewhere. Of course, they ask about any and all arrests the inmate has ever had, all charges filed and the disposition of each case, but they even ask about any and all mental health visits and all work details. His case manager has been less than forthcoming in providing the information he needs to complete the application. I have tried to help by going to the local p.d. to retrieve some of these records for him, but they are having difficulty locating his archived records. He and I have both had our moments of discouragement, but we keep fighting the good fight because it's worth it and his application is about 3/4 finished. It's just that every bit of information feels like a fight to obtain. I haven't posted an update because of the difficulty level, and I didn't want to discourage anyone. My man believes he would have had more cooperation at his previous facility, so perhaps it won't be as hard for others who have case managers and other staff who are more cooperative. If I could afford it, I would hire an attorney. Anyway, if you haven't seen the application already, it can be found on the Pardon and Parole board website at http://www.ok.gov/ppb/Publications/Forms/index.html I wish you and your man much success.