Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Wow, great thread. I am almost done! I have been on probation since 2003 for a state drug charge, and will be done in a few months. All I can say is your attitude is great. Most people have a victim mentality, and where there is no doubt the justice system screws a lot of people, most are in the system as a consequence of their actions. If I can make one suggestion. Make your own probation file. Basically, anything you give to the probation officer, make a copy first, write the date you gave it to them on it, and file it. I can't speak for federal probation officers, but as a former probation officer myself, I have seen the chaos of filing on the state and local level. I had a case load of nearly 300, most of which had to report each week per the judge. That equates to a lot of paperwork, and it would be easy to misplace a community service form, or receipt. I could go on with lots of tips, but my tip for today is to make your own probation file. You'll likely never need it, but it's good to have.

I'm not on here much anymore, but if you ever have a probation related question you can email me at (email address removed per pto policy: thanks for the tips and the kind words!) I wish you the best of luck too.)

Last edited by aba; 11-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: email address removed per pto policy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t2britton For This Useful Post:
aba (11-27-2010), BJBeagles (12-12-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,441 Times in 801 Posts
Default i called my monitoring coordinator over the weekend...that's a no-no

well i needed to see if i could get permission to work some overtime and i called the monitoring coordinator on saturday. i was informed that was a no-no and then totally felt like an ass. i've been very annoying about my schedule but at the same time all i'm trying to get permission to do is work. however i'm limited to 5 days a week, 12 hours a day. so sunday and today i'm confined to the house, although today i have 3 hours of personal time in the afternoon.

being confined to my house, as was the case yesterday is not a bad thing. i'm resting, because i still work a minimum of 60 hours a week. i watched football, wrote letters, cleaned up and did some laundry and did some other administrative stuff. so i really don't have anything to complain about because it's time i need to relax and get organized. however...

my job requires even more then the 5 days, 12 hours a day schedule that i have right now. so i'm trying to find a solution. i spoke with my lawyer and he is going to present something to the monitoring coordinator and/or Judge. he came up with a good idea...

since i pay $100/month for the costs of the monitoring equipment, we are going to suggest that they put the monitoring equipment (a second receiver) in my work place. that way, i'm either home and in range or at work and in range. and my whereabouts can be monitored at all times. i offered to put cameras in my workplace at my expense so that i can be 'visible' at all times. i guess i have to wait and see what the result is. aside from that, i feel like i'm doing well on probation. i have really no life outside of work and being home. which for me is good right now...i don't feel any compulsion to be out socializing or doing anything i shouldn't be. my fines are paid off. time is passing pretty quickly and well it is what it is.

i wanted to wish anyone who comes along this thread a happy belated thanksgiving and say that i hope everyone had a nice holiday. i've been reading a lot of posts on pto lately that deal with substance abuse and i think i need to spend some more time thinking (and then writing) about the spiritual aspects of the 12 step program. i have been totally clean. no desire to use illegal drugs. i don't drink. but the 'treatment plan' involves this spirituality and i'm trying to embrace it. in my case it's not God or a higher power that is keeping me clean and out of trouble. it's fear, remorse, and a desire to just live without worry. but what would happen if i told the counselor that i just flat out reject the idea that God or some other higher power plays a part in my rehabilitation and that really it's me, my family, my close friends, and the prospects for a bright future that inspire me on a daily basis? that i draw faith and inspiration from the people i interact with on a daily basis. or that i have lawyers and other professionals who are in my life and invested a lot of their time and my money into helping me become a more mature, responsible, adult? that's my higher power. i don't have the guts to just come out and say to the counselor that i totally reject what she's saying, but i'll ask the question and express my doubts and see if my theory is reasonable. that's been ticking around in my head so that's why i wrote about it again...

last item on the agenda today...

i know that my posts are getting redundant. bitching about trivial things like not being able to work more then 60 hours. and i really don't have too much going on in life to write about. everything else is good and status quo. i guess i'm fortunate i don't have anything too dramatic to write about here and my life has been simplistic and uncomplicated lately. so i'll be thankful for that this thanksgiving and hopefully i'll just write about how i'm feeling and leave it at that.

thanks for reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to aba For This Useful Post:
only1love (12-14-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
wandering into the sunset

Hey Aba,
Is it possible for you to do some of that work as a telecommuter? I don't know if it's possible with your job but, if it is, you could work from home and that might be a partial solution to your problem.
Good luck with this dilemma.
I hope that you had a good Thanksgiving.
I am still enjoying the leftovers!!! (soup for tonight!!!)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Two long heartfelt posts, erased by the backspace monster. Accidentally click outside this box, hit backspace, and ooooh, I'm on a different page.

Now for the shorter version that will likely be edited out because without my long context it is harder to show how it was relevant to ABAs PM he received last week, basically saying he was a whiney rich white kid. Which pissed me off but having recently talked with a bad ass gang banger on year 13 i think of his attempted murder conviction. (he was 16 at the time) Who has read excerpts of my book on how to survive criminal probation. Here is one, "This may be the single biggest challenge you face. Let’s face it, to some degree we are all products of our environment. Our home, coworkers, and friends have a huge impact on what we do. So what happens when we get out of jail, or court, and go back to the same job, and hang out with the same friends? We end up in the same trouble!

But I wasn't faced with that challenge. I went from jail straight to my parents house where I lived for about to months, and then I was on my own again. When I asked the inmate what he thought of me writing without being faced with that temptation, his response..."You're smarted then that. You and your brother both. FKJk, Your brother makes milliondollar companies out of nothing but ideas, you write sht down that you've either learned the hard way, or applied in your life so you wouldn't have to learn the hard way." In otherwords our jobs are to express ourselves, to lay it a out for the sake of the community. I may have some problem that no one else will relate to...for a while, but the some newbe is searching for that one term and walla, I made a difference. So where some of the PM were possibly or in my case very true, it doesn't make you a hyppocrite. Now, if you're out partying every weekend then that's a different story.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 AM

No more posting for me after I've taken my Ambien. WTH was that rambling in my last post? Sorry guys. I would edit it, but I think it's a lost cause.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Donation Award 

feel free

i'm very appreciative that you post in my thread. thanks.

adam
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Donation Award 

Default Life On Federal Probation Can Be Hard...

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread, but I'd like to wish everyone who comes across this very happy holidays. Lately I've had some bumps in the road of electronic monitoring. However nothing crazy, more like me having to give a call yesterday (Christmas) evening to my coordinator and that upsets me as I really don't want to be a pain in the ass, although I know I am.

I don't really have anything to do besides work and sleep. I'm not out in bars or partying. Sure I'd like to go to dinner and a movie but for a little over 4 months that's not happening. I have a lot of creature comforts at home, and friends and family will bring my things I need. But I'm starting to feel like I am restricted, that I have less liberty and freedom, and that my whereabouts are monitored at all times. That's the point though, isn't it?

Staying in my apt. isn't uncomfortable, claustrophobic or bad. I wish I could be more productive during those hours but it is what it is. I have come to terms with the fact that this is a phase of punishment I have to deal with and accept. But I'm starting to get a little freaked out.

On the flip side, it's a blessing. The alternative (incarceration) would mean not sleeping in your own bed, no contact with friends and family, not showering and using your own bathroom, etc. So while I've irritated my coordinator because I've gotten confused over scheduling at times, have been flustered by the stresses of some ongoing case issues and work, I know I have it good. Just right now I feel like I'm in a weird place. Hopefully I'll get past it.

Thanks for reading.
only1love (12-28-2010)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM

My hubby got sentenced for 30 months and has been gone for 6. I cannot wait for him to come home. We have 3 boys, ages 8, 11 and 16. Since he left, I have lost almost all of my family (well, his family and my father). We live totally alone in FL, waiting and trying to visit, but he's 550 miles away. I used to be a stay at home momma...now I work from home 3 jobs, 20 hours a day, homeschooling and trying not to totally lose it. My youngest almost died of an asthma attack from the house we were renting having unknown black mold...the stories I could tell of how hard this has been are crazy, but I love my husband and we are holding on.

I appreciate your story, cause it's what our future is going to be, and I need to help him start perparing to perhaps be released to home confinement or HWH sometime between August and November. And I need to prepare myself and the boys for the next step.

Your posts are terrific, the responses are helpful to me as well! I thank you for writing, things are only what they are in relativity to YOUR own life. Of course my life COULD be worse, everyone COULD have it worse, we could be DEAD. So, I think those that are reading realize that there ARE others who have it worse than you do...that does not in any way invalidate your experience or lessen the impact on your soul!!! And to be able to tell others (hell, if it's only ME, that's enough as far as I am concerned) what you are going thru, so that it can help me, my husband, my family......so that your purging of emotion can help YOU and your family and your friends embrace YOU--all of that is GOLD!

It sounds like you are doing fine, and yet it is awful. Of course it totally sucks being confined like you are. Do not apologize for it. We understand that you are glad you did not get time in jail, but being confined and restricted is NOT something you should necessarily EMBRACE either! LOL it IS awful and hard, and perhaps makes you feel sad, mad and crazy on some occasions. And of course, even the most well meaning family member will remind you that "it will all be over soon", but SOON is not NOW, and a hell of a lot can happen to your psyche and soul in the MEANTIME. Focus on your meantime, focus on allowing yourself your weakness' and your sorrow. Know that your anger and frustration is OK.....don't deny it, don't shove it to the bottom, it's ok. No one who has ever truly embraced their own failings and shitty situation, will tell you that you SHOULD NOT have moments, minutes, hours...hell--DAYS of YUCK that you are processing!

Of course you will be beyond the confinement someday, but the memory and imprinting of it will never leave you. That is what we are all dealing with in our own ways. I cry for my boys' memories of their childhood being marred by their dad being in prison and their mother trying her best, but let's face it--not doing enough!

Hang in there, in any way you can, with all the help you will allow into your life. I thank you sincerely for this openness and will continue to check back on your path. I hope in 20 years, or maybe it'll take 40, that these years are a faded rough spot, and only the benefit of the lessons learned remain.

The Following User Says Thank You to overtherainbow For This Useful Post:
aba (01-15-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Donation Award 

Default It's been a while so time for a new update...

First let me wish everyone a happy and healthy new year. Never a day goes by when I don't reflect on how fortunate I am to have such a wonderful support system. First and foremost my family, my friends, professionals (lawyers, accountants, doctors), and PTO who have been the inspiration for what I will describe as a rapid turn-around from the fear and shame of a felony conviction to a lot of success that I am now enjoying, granted while being on probation and still on electronic monitoring.

Right now I'm almost at the half-way point into my 6 months of home confinement and it's passing quickly. Whether I'm at work or confined to my home, I don't find myself limited in many ways. Sure I would like to go out with friends or on a date, or work more hours, but it is what it is and I maintain a broad perspective. After all, I know what the alternative could be and thankfully I am not in prison.

I'm moving forward professionally and have started a business that is operating successfully. I manage stress well because compared to a federal prosecution, not much will phase you. I of course take my work seriously and take a great deal of pride in it, but I let much more 'roll off my back' then I ever did before. I remain calm and thoughtful when dealing with challenges and afterwards that makes me feel good.

I am anxious for the bracelet to be removed. Unfortunately that's now going to occur for about 14 weeks. But the time is flying by, I stay busy and productive and I've become used to it. I'm complying with all aspects of my probation and have had a bunch of home and work visits with no problems whatsoever. So far, so good. So today confined to the house where I'll try and work from home, catch up on some rest, do laundry and clean up and perhaps my family will drop by later this afternoon. Fortunately I have nothing earth-shattering to report...all is proceeding status quo and I hope for the same to anyone who comes across this thread.

Thanks for reading, God bless, and be well...

Aba
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aba For This Useful Post:
krogersrn (01-16-2011), only1love (01-17-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Donation Award 

Aba - uneventful is good! It will be over soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to krogersrn For This Useful Post:
aba (01-17-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Donation Award 

Default how quickly things change...

well i don't know where to start but i'll just try to lay it all out there. i have my ankle bracelet on. i am about halfway though my 6 months. Things were going great. I have a new business that's doing great and another one on the way. I have plans to get engaged soon, and really life has been treating me great. No problems with probation, no legal issues whatsoever, it seems like I'm really on my way to putting this behind me.

just noticed my punctuation and keyboard etiquette may not be up to my usual standards. that's because i'm in the hospital with a tube running from my back, into my kidney and down to a bag strapped to my leg draining my kidney which has no function. now luckily the other kidney is working great, but in the meantime they are trying to save the other one by draining it through a process called a nephroscopy. as for the pain and discomfort of the original kidney stones that brought me into the hospital....well i'm kind of used to that so i just worked though it for couple of weeks. until ultimately a stone got caught in the 'ureter,' formed scar tissues on both sides, and is obstructing the kidney causing it to swell, atrophy, and lose function. i had two surgeries one yesterday one today to try and put a 'stent' in to relieve the obstruction but they could not fit any wire into the ureter to thread the stent around. so they basically drilled a hole in my back, run a tube to the bag, and drain the kidney that way. every 8 minutes i push a button and the dilaudid enters through an iv. but the painkillers just contribute to the overall sick feeling and some way, some how, i'm going to have to figure out a way to work through this and live with it.

the good thing is it's only temporary. the bad thing is i have to be at work to keep my business functioning and i have employees who depend on me. i have clients looking for me. i think i'd rather lose the kidney then figure out how to work, bathe, lie down, feel like a man, make love to my girlfriend while i have a piss-bag attached to my leg. but it is what it is.

first, i can only imagine what kind of care i'd be getting if i was in prison. instead i have doctors who are as good as my lawyers. i am surrounded by people who love and care about me. i have employees holding down the fort, although things are out of my control and that's tough. the Probation Department said to cut off the bracelet if I needed to that the time still counts because they know where I am 24 hours/day (i left it on.) and sooner or later i'll get through this and come out the other side. i'm starting to get really exhausted and so i'm going to write more tomorrow but my God how quickly things can change....
lil peep (03-04-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Donation Award 

aba - I don't know what to say except that I am so sorry you're going through this. Enough already! You're in my prayers.
The Following User Says Thank You to krogersrn For This Useful Post:
aba (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Donation Award 

thanks so much. i'm dealing the best i can. there is still plenty of reason to look at this as another blessing in disguise. i'm going to recover from this and i'm going to be ok. your well wishes mean more then you know... thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Default About guilt

I dont think that one has to have committed a crime to experience profound guilt. In fact, I believe that feeling deep regret for past actions is a life task that we all need to go through. The guilt is painful and profoundly uncomfortable, but it is very useful. By facing one's guilty feelings instead of stuffing them or numbing them with alcohol or other intoxicants one is forced to confront the reality of one's life and the consequences of one's decisions. Every time you relive a mistake in your mind and process the regret, you create a new neural pathway in your brain. You are literally rewiring your brain to be compatible with your new self and your new life. And it does get better, gradually, with time. Eventually you will reach a place in your life that you are able to forgive yourself for your mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to charlestondaisy For This Useful Post:
aba (02-04-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Angry I have some serious questions for you.............

I have some questions for you. My fiance, has been sentenced to 5 years of Federal Probation (for not paying his child support obligation) . We are supposed to be getting married on June 17th of this year but after reading all the information that I can find on what happens when you are on probation etc and what to expect, I am having second thoughts. His Probation officer came out to the house a few days ago to look around, asked me a few questions and then left. Today I got a phone call from him, he left a message on my answering machine while I was asleep and I am not sure what to do. All I know is that I am mad as hell that he wants to invade my life too. He is wanting to do a background check on me to make sure I dont have any felonies etc. I told him I didnt , but I lied because I dont want or need my past checked. My past is my past and I want it left in the past. I am not going to go thru that hell again like I did 14 years ago. I was state probation myself for 3 years and completed it successfully without any problems. ( I think my felony was dropped to a misdemeanor after I completed probation) It was for a charge that I got set up on for sales. And also my probation was not in the state where I currently live. What I want to know is how far back do they do a check and is it just statewide or nationwide? And if this is going to be a hassle as far as getting my place approved for his place to live or whatever, what will happen if I refuse to give him the information he is needing to do the check? I CAN refuse to let him live here and if it comes down to the fact that I am going to have my whole past looked into , thats exactly what I am going to do because I am not going thru that bs again for anyone, it was hell enough on my probation as well as when I was married before to someone who was on pariole and I will be damned if I let anyone and I dont care who the hell you are, come into my home anytime they please and tear it apart. That kind of crap could get me kicked off of my Section 8 contract and I will be damned if Im letting that happen. Also what is the PO going to think when they find out that I dont really have a job and I am on welfare, food stamps, section 8, energy assistance etc? I do not need these things looked into or investigated because if any of them gets wind of a PO my food stamps and everything else will get cancelled, they frown on any kind of police activity. I love this man as much as I love god but I can not and will not let my life be disrupted or turned upside because of his probation . If you could please give me some advise or some input into my situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

An Ex-Felon who is about to jump ship

Last edited by bahamababe1; 02-28-2011 at 07:04 PM..
Old 02-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,975 Times in 1,328 Posts

I think you already know what you are going to do. I know section 8 forbids some felons, I think with drug convictions. The PO could tell the rental office about your fiancee living there. The fact that the case dropped to a misdemeanor saves you on misrepresenting the facts to the PO, but better to say nothing than to lie.

They use the FBI database called NCIC and it probably has everything since you were 18 years old, stat and federal. To my knowledge, nobody on PTO has ever reported they went through anything like you did, which indicates that the PO had some inkling. The PO's questions are disturbing.

I know being on assistance is not an impediment to living with someone on probation. This sounds like a no brainer to me, you clearly are saying you don't want the government messing in your life, especially because of someone else's actions. you might want to check out this spouses lounge forum http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=982.

Last edited by bellisq; 03-01-2011 at 12:01 AM..
Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM

I noticed you mentioned you have your own business. Do the feds allow this while on home confinement? Do they get involved in it such as checking all your financials and bank accounts, etc?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Donation Award 

How are you doing aba?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 PM

great inspiration aba. I am 8 months in my 1 yr home confinement, and all ur post have been real great. I read the last post on ur health. i hope all is well now or at least recovery stage, look foward to ur future posts buddy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Account Closed

The government is in your life - it is supporting you! I find it ironic you're willing to accept three forms of financial assistance, but balk at the POs request.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM

What happened to aba??
Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Donation Award 

I'm wondering the same.