Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM

Unhappy Preparing for the worst

Hi everyone. My name is Mike. I found this site just browsing the web and Im so happy that i found it. Ive been reading alot of the posts and it has really helped. Im 23 years old and will be going to prison for the first time. This is a really hard topic for me to talk about because I try so hard not to think about it and enjoy what little time I have on the outside, but with my sentencing date coming up soon its all I can think about. I took a plea bargin to do 5-10 years for armed robbery. Im not a violent person, I was just hanging with the wrong crowd of people. I feel so bad because not only has this been a hard thing for me to deal with but I cant even imagine what my family and friends are going through. I still cant believe that this isnt just a bad dream. I know im not cut out to handle prison, Im small and not a good fighter. Im just really worried about the whole thing. Is there anyone out here that can tell me what to expect going in? Is there a chance of getting out early? Is there a chance that on my pre-sentence report my po could get my sentence knocked down at my sentence date? My lawyer told me if Im good inside that I could expect to be out in 4 1/2- 5 years. I just need to make a few friends on here that I can talk to. Sorry so long.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Donation Award 

Ok you are young and made a huge mistake but your life is not over 4-5 years sounds like a long time right now but you have your whole life ahead of you to become the person you want to be. I hope your family will support you during this difficult time. Check out the Michigan forum to find out more specifics on Mich prisons.Best of luck and we are all here for you everyday,
The Following User Says Thank You to alliebobo For This Useful Post:
MP08 (10-19-2008)
Old 10-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Closed

Hi Mike,

I pray for your strength. I cannot offer so much as far as legal help or what to expect unless you have a federal case, as I am more familiar with the feds.

I will continue to pray for you to find strength. The best advice I can give you is to do your time clean, and take it like a man. You will be stronger in the end if you make the best of it.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Michigan is a indeterminate sentencing state. You need to impress the parole board. My advice: (i) do not involved with gangs, (ii) quit your addictive habits, (iii) learn a trade, and (iv) have a parole plan. So follow what I say. And you get out early.
The Following User Says Thank You to crisco For This Useful Post:
MP08 (10-19-2008)
Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the support everyone! I guess its all really just starting to sink in. Thanks for taking the time to read what I had to say
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Closed

Don't be hard on yourself. Now that it has indeed sunk in, I guess we can take it like it is......ONE DAY AT A TIME.

I will pray for your safety, and I will pray that you will come out better than anyone could have expected. Find out what you can learn about life and yourself while on this journey.

There is light in the storm...
Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM

God bless you! I pray for your strength.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aishah_M For This Useful Post:
MP08 (10-19-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP08 View Post
Hi everyone. My name is Mike. I found this site just browsing the web and Im so happy that i found it. Ive been reading alot of the posts and it has really helped. Im 23 years old and will be going to prison for the first time. This is a really hard topic for me to talk about because I try so hard not to think about it and enjoy what little time I have on the outside, but with my sentencing date coming up soon its all I can think about. I took a plea bargin to do 5-10 years for armed robbery. Im not a violent person, I was just hanging with the wrong crowd of people. I feel so bad because not only has this been a hard thing for me to deal with but I cant even imagine what my family and friends are going through. I still cant believe that this isnt just a bad dream. I know im not cut out to handle prison, Im small and not a good fighter. Im just really worried about the whole thing. Is there anyone out here that can tell me what to expect going in? Is there a chance of getting out early? Is there a chance that on my pre-sentence report my po could get my sentence knocked down at my sentence date? My lawyer told me if Im good inside that I could expect to be out in 4 1/2- 5 years. I just need to make a few friends on here that I can talk to. Sorry so long.
MPO8, let me tell you a little bit of what to expect, if I can, as one who worked on the inside for many years. Maybe this will help you a little.

Just as in anything else in life, especially when dealing with human beings, there's never a dull moment, and things can change from one minute to the next. There are as many scenarios as to what will happen when you enter your facility as there are to how many you may face when you are released back into society.

The main things you need to understand and aware of is that you are going to have to very observant and you are also going to have to be very discerning, so that you make excellent choices for yourself. Your young, there will be others higher up in the pecking order who will do what they can to capitalize on your youth.

In prison, always remember that "less is more". This goes for just about everything, but definitely for conversations with other inmates. You will be asked what you are "in for". Don't relive the crime, don't entertain them with stories of what happened. Answer the question and move on, as in "Armed Robbery" and MOVE ON. If you respect them, most generally they will respect you. Make it a priority to find someone who is running their program the way it should be run..for the purposes of making parole and getting out of there, and stick with people like that. Personally, I would have as many books as was allowed, and spend most of my time lost in them.

Gravitate towards positivity and stay as far away from negativity as you can. Keep PRODUCTIVELY busy. There are many ways to keep busy, that's why I emphasized "productively". If you are busy the time will pass quicker than if you sit around. My husband volunteers for every detail that he can just because it drives him crazy to sit and do nothing. If he's busy on a detail, there's also less chance of his getting caught up in something he doesn't want to be.

You said you aren't very big. My husband is of small stature, and he was 50 when he entered prison for the first time. He's had no physical altercations thus far. I pray that he doesn't. He treats others as he wants to be treated and that seems to be working for him. But I'm going to tell you what I told him, and this comes from the years of experience inside, the things that I witnessed over and over. If someone does challenge you to a fight, I strongly suggest you don't back down. Better to lose than run, because the others will respect you for standing your ground, they can respect you for standing your ground and losing, but if you run, they will never leave you alone. Now, of course, I'm talking about the one on one confrontation, no weapons involved. Should there be more than one, or you see a weapon of any kind, then that's a horse of another color and you must do what you have to do to protect yourself by which I mean RUN, tell an officer, ask to be placed in protective custody. But that's the worst scenario advice I'm giving here, odds are you aren't going to ever need it.

Again, treat others as you would like to be treated and be very discerning in who you "hang with".

Do your program and keep your nose clean and chances are you'll be paroled. Focus on the goal line.

Good luck!
Then shall they also answer him saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or a thirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall He answer them saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:44-45
The Following User Says Thank You to justus1 For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (10-20-2008)
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 AM

Thanked 1,701 Times in 851 Posts

If you cannot do anything to change the destiny, try to see it as an adventure. It ain't like going to Iraq where you're shot at every day by people trying to kill you.

The first few weeks will be an adjustment period, but then you will settle in and things will become more routine. First rule of thumb: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Give respect and demand it for yourself. The other people you meet -- regardless of what colour clothing they may wear --- are human beings just like yourself.